GTR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My current central number plate [xxxxxxx] obscures the top front bumper four inch Nismo twin air vents about 1 to 2 inches each side [R32-GTR],

can I:-

[#1] cut the white edges off so just the letters/numbers are visible..?

[#2] have a smaller number plate made that does not obscure the vents, at the cost of reducing the size of the number/lettering size ?

[#3] refit current standard size number plate on lowest part of front bumper, below the centre start of the large intercooler air vent ?

[#4] Or have the number plate 'painted on' or a 'plate sticker' , in the same place as [#3] above.( have seen some mazda mx5's do this on the bonnet...)

I ask, as i hear number plates for imports can be less restricted/regulated than uk ones according to DVLA?

lastly ! - will any of the above get me pulled over constantly by the, :rolleyes: , pc plod's ?!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Craig's plates is a bit vague on the subject. I copied the following from the relevant DVLA pdf file... before it was removed. I'll try and find the equivalent on the new version of their webshite.

DOOVLA said:
Display of Vehicle Registration Marks on Imported Vehicles (which have a restricted space for a standard sized number plate)

Certain imported vehicles may be permitted to display number plates with smaller characters if:

* The vehicle does not have European Community Whole Vehicle Type Approval
AND
* The vehicle's construction/design cannot accomodate standard size number plates.

Specifications for smaller sized plates (for certain imported vehicles):

Character Height: 64mm
Character Width: 44mm
Character Stroke: 10mm
Space between characters: 10mm
I've been reliably informed that the following section from the motorcycle regs also apply to imports. However it doesn't state this in the pdf linked above, so you could probably argue the toss with the old bill if you had a copy to hand.

Space between groups: 30mm (if on one line)
Top, side & bottom margin: 11mm

I have successfully sent a copper on his way with a flea in his ear with these regs to hand after being pulled over and accused of having a dodgy plate.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Here is the government document:The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) (Amendment) Regulations 2002

Print it & keep it in the car:chuckle:

Dave.
Well found. That document supersedes the one I had found some years ago and is notable for several key differences:

1. The old regulations specified an 11mm border around the characters, the one quoted specifies 5mm except for the bottom which must be 13mm and includes the BSAU stamp.
2. The old regs stipulated 30mm between groups of characters if displayed on one line. Interestingly, the new regs do not, not do they insist that a square plate is used. In theory, one could have a slim, wide plate made with all the digits grouped together thus: H654MJK instead of H654 MJK.

Cool beans as far as I'm concerned :D

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the info, that should free up some more space for the cool air to enter into those nismo vents ! :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts