GTR Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have a brand new GTR MY14 which I bought about a week ago. I have just recently noticed that when I sometimes drive the car, I can't say under what condition whether hard or gently, I don't know, but a strong smell of petrol fumes seems to appear in the cabin. I noticed it yesterday driving around London after filling up a full tank of BP 97 with outside air temperature of 27 degrees Celsius. I checked underneath car to see if any leaks or any indications of a fuel leak, and nothing is seen.

I checked the manual and apparently gasoline smells can occur if high temperatures are current within the fuel tank and can be treated as normal. However I wanted to check of any other GTR owners preferably 2014 models, have experienced any similar smells of fuel as this is quite strong???

Jamie

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Yeah mate unfortunately it's quite common. My mates and I have all experienced it at some time or another. My last experience was yesterday after a fairly spirited drive In 30 degree heat. Something to do witb the vapour release valve or something similar?

I'm sure someone can be more specific on here :)

·
Registered
888 Posts
Why are you using BP Ultimate 97ron? BP isn't highly thought of in Impreza circles, especially by the well respected mappers, as it's said to cause a lot of DET!

·
Premium Member
3,024 Posts
Never use BP, always Shell or Tesco Momentum99.

As this is a new car without any modifications, you should not be experiencing petrol fumes in the cabin. you could have a leak or a blocked breather, but either way please get it checked.

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
I have had the downpipe cats removed and it's rare I smell fumes and never petrol. I can't say the same for the cars behind though considering the amount of petrol this thing gets through...!

·
Registered
551 Posts
I get the fumes coming in mainly when the weather is warm and stuck in traffic.

As for which fuel... Shell Nitro only unless you get desperate then its ideal to have a switchable map to cater for different fuel types.

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
change the fuell shell nitro + mate never bp or tesco
What a load of crap.

Nothing wrong with Tesco 99. I know from the old skyline days that BP ultimate was not particularly rated. That said, I had to pop some BP in recently and it was ok in the R35, but I think the R35 is far less sensitive to poor fuel, or the fuel quality and consistency has improved in recent years.

One thing for sure though - there is nothing wrong with Tesco 99 and infact is my first choice over and above Shell Nitro.

·
Premium Member
5,888 Posts
Tesco 99 or Shell nitro for me, i've tried both, and both seem to do the same job in the R35, except with tesco the fuels cheaper and you get clubcard points..

and I never had the fume smell until I got downpipes, when car was stock with y pipe, not a single whiff

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
The charcoal cannister vents into the rear subframe/chassis.
If you put more fuel in the tank than the first time the pump clicks off, it's bad.

Oo, and if you've been thrashing it, the purge won't happen.
Drive a bit on part throttle, low load. It'll suck the vapour into the motor.

Ooo, and as for the fuel. 99RON for the spirited stuff, but if you get caught out, 97 will do.
Even 95RON is acceptable, though Nissan state you should expect a reduced level of performance.
Nothing bad will happen, it just won't be able to advance the timing as much. :)
Panic not.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts