GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having set my catchtank up properly now, I get a fairly strong whiff of oil with a touch of petrol in the car when pushing on. Obviously this is from the catchtank vent which is inside the engine compartment.

I just wondered if anybody gets this or have overcome it by taking the vent pipe down beneath the engine or by some other means....?

Ta.

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I noticed that too John. My only concern about doing that was that I've heard of 4 or 5 guy's catchtanks overflowing, I'd hate to be out on track and get a load of oil pi55ing out onto the road. Having said that I guess if it overflows from the vent on the catchtank, it'll still find it's way down to the track...

I'll have a look later and perhaps run a pipe down low somewhere.

Ta.

Peter.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Just thinking about it and the only safe place to do this is straight out of the back of the car, as if it is coming out behind the front wheel then oil could go all over the rear wheel, same for any location in the middle of the car.

you could vent it back into the induction kit I suppose but again if it overflows you are stuck !!

just something else to keep an eye on :(

cheers
Steve

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Steve,

I don't think it should fill up anyway unless you've got a pretty major problem or overfill the oil (Ian.... :rolleyes: ) so I'd rather be able to breath fresh'ish air than oil/petrol fumes. Venting back into the intake would defeat the object of the tank so won't do that. I've just stuck a length of pipe on the outlet and put the filter on the end and dropped the pipe down under the plenum and it's still visible so I'll just have to keep an eye on it.

Thanks.

Peter.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Putting it back on the intake wouldn't defeat the object as you would still be catching the oil before the air is then returned to the intake..

Still better to have it away from that part IMO.

Has it stopped the smell as I'd have thought you'd have to take it out of the engine bay at least. ?

/Steve

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SteveC said:
Putting it back on the intake wouldn't defeat the object as you would still be catching the oil before the air is then returned to the intake..
Not sure what you mean Steve. The reason to fit a catchtank is to prevent the engine breathing the crank case fumes as this will lower the octane level of the a/f mixture. When running higher boost, the engine breathes more fumes as a result of piston blow by, etc. so by venting the breather pipes to a catchtank, it stops the oil/fuel vapour going into the intake. It also prevents oil deposits from collecting in the intake, IC, etc.

Peter.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
didn't know about the fumes affecting the octane.

I thought it was just the oil that was the issue as it blew back into the induction side.

in which case I stand corrected.

So am I right in thinking, then, that all cars would benifit from a catch tank as all must have some sort of fume intake.

I had my AFM's off when I fitted the boost controller and whilst there wasn't much there was definately evidence of oil vapours on the inside of the tube.

might be a little mod to do over the weekend.

/Steve

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Hi Peter,

I once noticed on a JUN R33 that the oil catch tank vented all the way at the back of the car. Never seen this before so I actually took a picture from under the car. You can see a small metal pipe coming all the way along the underside of the car and connected to a short piece of hose that vented along the bumper. After some laps you could see the thick oily fumes being vented.

If you are intersted I'll be more than glad to send you the picture:)

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Catch Tank

Shin's car does indeed vent all the way to the back of the car, via a blue rubber pipe.

I was underneath it on a ramp at Abbey (with Shin) last Saturday.

He said it was to stop oil being spilled in front of the rear wheels, if the catch tank vented oil.

guy

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Interesting stuff.

Hi Dino,

Yes please, I've pm'd you my email address in case you've not still got it.

Thanks for confirming that Guy, obviously the way to go, where's my DemonTweeks catalogue?

Peter.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Catch tank oil spillage!

I had no problems with my ARC catch tank until I over filled the oiil prior to Goodwood! it only ran down the side of the tank and effectively got burnt off (bit smelly and smokey) but the venting hole did its job. On the ARC product there is a drainage plug which is handy.

..Ian

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
The oil runs (slowly) out of the venting hole , it obviously came out as I was mid corner at 90+ mph at Goodwood. It trickles down the side of the catch tank and basically was smoking due to the under bionnet heat. I would have thought the catch tank its self was very hot (not that I touched it) because it was full.

..IS

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
PETER

I HAVE THE SAME CATCH TANK AS YOU, I RECENTLY GOT GARY TO REMOVE THE LITTLE FILTER ON THE TANK BREATHER AS IT WAS STARTING TO MAKE MY CAR SMELL A BIT OLD OILY ALL THE TIME AS YOU DESCRIBE. AFTER RUNNING MY CAR FOR ABOUT 6000 MILES WITH THE TANK FITTED, WHEN WE TOOK IT OUT AND EMPTIED IT, IT JUST HAD ABOUT 1CM OF OILY SLUDGE IN THE BOTTOM SO ALTHOUGH IT DOESNT GET MUCH USE, THE FUMES GENERATED THROUGH THE TANK GET QUITE STRONG. THE LITTLE FILTER HAS NOW BEEN REMOVED AND THE A DRAIN PIPE INSTALLED THAT RUNS DOWN THRU THE CAR PAST THE PLENUM AND TO THE REAR OF THE CAR AND NOW ALL I CAN SMELL IS MALBORO LIGHTS INSIDE THE CAR:)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts