GTR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello has anyone had smoke coming out of there exhaust between gear changes or after letting of the throttle when boosting hard.??

I have 600 mile old HKS GTR-S turbos runing 1.7 bar 1000cc injectors and fuel pump std engine 40000 miles on clock

Cars been running great been on track and was perfect .
went out last night reved engine up to 7800 rpm as i all ways do got into 5th felt the power drop a fraction then noticed the smoke when i let off.

can get a small puff of smoke if i only rev it up to around 6k or a large puff of smoke if i give it stink.

still plenty power.

smoke is blue /white smells of burn oil and can be the size of a car behind you!!:mad:

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone had smoke off the throttle only??

any one had this problen or similar
Hello has anyone had smoke coming out of there exhaust between gear changes or after letting of the throttle when boosting hard.??

I have 600 mile old HKS GTR-S turbos runing 1.7 bar 1000cc injectors and fuel pump std engine 40000 miles on clock

Cars been running great been on track and was perfect .
went out last night reved engine up to 7800 rpm as i all ways do got into 5th felt the power drop a fraction then noticed the smoke when i let off.

can get a small puff of smoke if i only rev it up to around 6k or a large puff of smoke if i give it stink.

still plenty power.

smoke is blue /white smells of burn oil and can be the size of a car behind you!!:mad:

·
Premium Member
6,064 Posts
blue smoke is oil, white smoke is water.

could be turbo oil seals, could be valve stem seals letting a bit of oil though, difficult to say really....

·
Registered
20 Posts
1.7 bar on a stock engine, taking to 7800 regularly....

I run simular turbos on my R33, set to 1.2 max on stock head gasket is the norm

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
possiably broken a ring or most likely a head gasket blown
1.7 bar is alot for the stock internals to get throwen at it, mine let go at 1.1bar
now that im going to a single turbo, i decided to get fully forged internals and metal gaskets to hold it all together

i just live round the corner from you and will gladly take a look for you

you have p.m

alex

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
imho stock head gasket is fine for higher boost than 1.2, assuming map is correct.

However, the power gained from running 1.7bar sounds like it could be a bit much for standard internals...

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
that is a lot of power to throw at a stock engine. That being said, I think you're just running rich. Do you have a vent-to-atmosphere blow off valve? If I'm running rich, , a whole cloud of god knows what comes out the pipe whenever the throttles are closed - during shifts or when letting off the throttle. Lots of fuel, etc that was supposed to get air but didn't, and exits the tailpipe as vapor.

Check with a wideband. If you're running too rich, dipping down to 10.0:1, you will also feel a loss of power. I feel the best compromise between safety and power is 11.5:1, but a real on-the-edge tune will have you running 12.5:1...which I wouldn't do with stock internals. Hell, I won't run that optimal fueling on my engine with forged internals, cause if conditions aren't perfect, you start knocking, and then you are truly screwed.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
any one had this problen or similar
Hi mate, check this thread of mine from a few weeks back. I'm on 2530'[email protected] bar but I've dropped rev limiter to 7200 from 8250 (more than enough IMO). I thought the smoke was blue/white to start with but someone following confirmed it was black/grey, It was happening between gearchanges and on tickover and took a good few miles to clear up once I had fixed it.
Hope yours turns out something similar.

thread

Charlie.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts