GTR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the car out last night, got about 1 mile then went to pull into a petrol station and noticed a misfire and some smoke as I came off the throttle and also on tickover. Got back to the house and noticed a strong fuel smell as I backed it into the drive. Now I can't afford to do a lot of work to the car just now so is there anything that can do to give me a few pointers as to what it could be. Maybe look at plugs, compression etc.
Now I'm a joiner so have very limited mechanical ability.

Video clip

Cheers, Charlie.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Far shot, but have you checked all intercooler piping yet?
It's quite common for it to come off and couse trouble.

Marc

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Marc, I'm not long in from work and it's pouring with rain here,so will need to check tomorrow night if I get home early enough.

Cheers,

·
Registered
818 Posts
just listened to the video and it sounds to me like its not running on all cylinders.. defo has a boxer(subaru) engine stype noise to it ... unless you got some serious cams in there?

Id to a compression test on it.. quick way to determine if its going to be an expensive (engine internals) or cheaper job (plugs, ignition amp, injector etc)

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It has Tomei cams 260 deg and 9.15, the ign amp, coil harness, coil packs and plugs are all new under 1k miles ago.

·
Registered
818 Posts
hmm.. i think a compression test is defo in order then.. Try disconnecting the wiring plug from one coil pack at a time to work out which one has no-effect on the engine noise as it seems to be missing on a cylinder constantly at idle. When you work out which cylinder is not firing.. just do a quick compression test on that one for starters. You can compression testers from halfrauds pretty cheap.

For info i just compression tested mine few days ago.. all cyclinders should be around 140-150psi (10-11 bar) depending upon your headgasket thinkness compression ratio etc. I would expect that if it is a compression issue the cylinder that you identify will have very low or no compression :(

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, I checked the pipes for a leak and found that the one circled in the pic was loose (very loose), I tightened it up and the misfire was gone, as the car was no longer misfiring I didn't do the coil test you mentioned, I did buy a compression tester (from halfrauds lol) but the plug socket I have wont fit so I'l get hold of a slimline one and try that, then post the results here as I'm still a bit paranoid about the smoke.
I got someone to follow me and they said it's "dark grey, black when on the throttle and lighter when I'm off throttle (more like steam)"
Oil pressure shows between 2 and 4 when warmed up but it's the standard gauge.

pic

Thanks for the help so far guys, I appreciate it.

Charlie.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've done a compression test and this is the outcome, starting No.1 from the front of the engine. (Tomei 1.2mm headgasket)

1. 138
2. 139
3. 143
4. 143
5. 141
6. 135
All the plugs look like this

Just taken the car for a spin and there was no sign of any smoke on tickover or on the overrun. The misfire has gone and the car is boosting just fine.
Again thanks for the help

Charlie.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
wow I just found the same hose clamp loose a couple weeks ago as well when I installed my modified twin turbo pipe. Maybe an endemic problem?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Toby, I did wonder if that pipe would "Balloon" under boost but TBH I moved it out the way to refit the twin turbo pipe so there's a fair chance that I forgot to tighten it back up. (lol 8 months ago)
I have read the other thread about your car feeling slower with the TT pipe modified, although mine doesn't it certainly feels a lot smoother through 2nd and 3rd gear but the front transfer gauge blips to about halfway under extreme acceleration? Wheelspin maybe?

Charlie.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
the power does come in differently, but after extensive testing, it's definitely not slower, when the turbos are spooled it's madness!! :D

The front torque always shifts forward about halfway on the gauge under hard acceleration, just from the G-sensors, so that's normal. Wheelspin you can feel, as the tail starts stepping out - all good fun :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts