GTR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

Just fitted my basalt turbo blanket which seems to be good quality and multi layer.

Unfortunately, I have quite a big single turbo that touches the cam cover and had to actually cut a small interaction into the blanket and remove some of the calcium magnesium silicate inner padding so that it would fit but it's quite a neat job.

I went for a drive and after about 10 minutes, there was a burning smell which really concerned me. There are no oil leaks from any of the connections so I am happy that there's no problem here but is it normal for a decent turbo blanket to smoke?

I've read that they smoke initially until they harden up. If this is truly the case, how long does this happen for and is there any damage occurring during this times? I've never used wrapping or blankets before so hopefully I get a noticeable difference in under bonnet temperatures.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Nothing to worry about, the blanket will smoke for some time and then it will stop. It's the same with heat wrap it smokes for some time and then it will stop.

You should open your bonnet and let the engine run for some time and it should go away, or take it for a drive and it will smoke then will stop after a few miles.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's good news! Thanks guys. Any reason why they smoke? Some coating material?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seems to have stopped smoking after 100ish miles. Has a bit of a strange smell still but under bonnet temperatures are fantastic! The air intake manifold is no longer hot to the touch after a long journey which is great news.

Only concern I get is that the turbo is now holding all that heat in which probably isn't doing the bearings in the turbine too well. Anyone had any problems with things like this?

PS spools quicker too! Had to adjust the boost controller slightly and change the fuelling slightly. I have to get the mapping perfect or it bugs me! Lol

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Is your turbo water cooled along with oil? or just oil cooled? You will not have issues with the bearings as without the turbo blanket the turbo is still working at very high temperatures.

They are a good addition to the kit as people also tend to get the exhaust housings ceramic coated to keep the heat in.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, it's a gt4294r water/oil cooled.

Really really impressed with under bonnet temperatures. The air intake manifold was cold to touch again today after a spirited drive home! :)

·
Registered
451 Posts
i do ceramic coating on the outside of everything on turbo side, and ceramic coating (but different kind) on the inside for fast flowing of exhaust gasses, AND i do a blanket over turbo exhaust housing :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Smoking completely gone now! I'm probably going to order some heat wrap for the top half of my downpipe. It's a 4" diameter beast and I think wrapping that could give some good results too.

Probably not going to wrap the exhaust manifold though; got a 6boost manifold and they recommend not to wrap.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Smoking completely gone now! I'm probably going to order some heat wrap for the top half of my downpipe. It's a 4" diameter beast and I think wrapping that could give some good results too.

Probably not going to wrap the exhaust manifold though; got a 6boost manifold and they recommend not to wrap.
For the manifold you should consider ceramic coating, as for the downpipe wrap the whole thing up to the exhaust backbox which is what I've done.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Hadn't really thought about doing that; I guess that's quite an improvement in air flow from the exhaust and heat reduction from under the engine.

Not sure I can be bothered to take the exhaust off though; possible to wrap with it still on?

Furthermore, I didn't really want to wrap the downpipe as it's a custom 4" job that was extremely expensive and I really, really don't want to risk the chance of it cracking.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Hadn't really thought about doing that; I guess that's quite an improvement in air flow from the exhaust and heat reduction from under the engine.

Not sure I can be bothered to take the exhaust off though; possible to wrap with it still on?

Furthermore, I didn't really want to wrap the downpipe as it's a custom 4" job that was extremely expensive and I really, really don't want to risk the chance of it cracking.
The reason I wrapped the whole of my exhaust is to stop the heat from reaching the floor panels etc, because heat mixed with salt will aid in corrosion, I know there are heat shields but I still wrapped it.

Yes you can wrap it with the exhaust still on the car, but it will be difficult because of the length of the wrap. The best way is to take the exhaust off.

I bought two 50m wraps from ebay, they seem to hold up well, they are cheap priced but I haven't had issues with them.

I will be wrapping my downpipe, it's also a 4" custom V band pipe.

·
Registered
830 Posts
i do ceramic coating on the outside of everything on turbo side, and ceramic coating (but different kind) on the inside for fast flowing of exhaust gasses, AND i do a blanket over turbo exhaust housing :)
Would you recommend fitting a turbo blanket if you have ceramic coated the turbine housing?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts