GTR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During my last service at MM, I got a HKS Super Power Flow induction kit fitted, I have noticed that since there's been more "popping" from the exhaust (mainly during gear changes). It did do this now and again before fitting the new induction kit but it seems quite common now. Every now and again there's quite a loud one too! Don't get me wrong, it sounds good, certainly gets peoples attention when driving though town, not to mention the other turbo/dump valve noises the car makes :D I'm just concerned that maybe it's not a good thing, I've seen previous posts about detonation and fuel type.

Anyone else experience this? My theory is that the improved induction kit is making the turbos work better and therefore increasing the chances of "exhaust popping" when the revs drop. I'm still using the same fuel (optimax) so it can't be that.

Ta Muchly

Paul

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
It's likely that with the increased airflow your AFM meters are getting into a bit of a tizz and causing you to run rich from time to time (more than before). This probably isn't anything to worry about to be honest.

Just my opinion though, I would consider asking a tuner whether they perceive it to be a problem.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
would it be worth resetting the chip and having it "learn" the new configuration?

if the answer is yes, how do you do this?

Ta

Paul

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
This is nothing to worry about..

have you got a decat pipe as well ?

all it is is when you lift off there is a little squirt of fuel which doesn't get burnt this then ignites in the exhaust causing the poping sound, if you have no cat you get it quite a lot more in my experience.. this is usually accompanied by a flame causing maxheads to orgasm instantly !!

for you info though it never hurts to reset the ECU so what you can do is disconnect the battery then put your foot on the brake (maybe with the ignition on ?) for a minute or so, this will completely dischage any capacitance you have left in the cicuitry. then re connect and off you go. reprogram your radio and wait for your alarm to calm down !!

what happens when you do this is the ECU goes into learning mode and does quite large timing swings to set the ignition up properly. this is the quick way to get a big increase from higher ron fuel as usually the ecu only adjusts by fractions of a degree at a time but this way it does it in big steps until it gets knock then retards off and puts in a bit more etc..

the time it takes our engine to adjust to the fuel you are using probably takes half of a tank to set itself up. this way it is done quickly.

another way to reset the ECU is to disconnect the battery and leave it 24 hours, but not many people would want to leave their car with no alarm for that length of time..

hope this helps.

Steve

·
Registered
592 Posts
Ive noticed the same since removing one of the cats during the fitting of the new magnex exhaust - I kinda like it....

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
I wish mine popped more than it does. :(

When I drove up to Leeds I actually felt the backfire travelling down the car a couple of times.. came out the back like a "whuulumpph" noise. I would've loved to have seen it from the back, lit up my rear view mirror.

Only seems to do it rarely tho :(

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Durz.

I saw your car flame nicely at Powerstation a couple of years back when Guy took the car along to a GTI-R rolling road day. Tried to catch a pic of it, but didn't time it right.

Daz

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Dunno if that was at Powerstation, but yeah, like that :D

Took me by surprise coz i was standing so near !

Daz

1 - 12 of 12 Posts