GTR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone give me advice / experience of snooper devices for cameras..etc

I've heard so many different +/- stuff about the same products.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Snooping

Looked into this a lot before I got my beast, but finance decided me to just drive a tad sanely.

That being said, Snooper didn't come off very well in tests. From the reviews, Bell seem to be about the leading edge for detectors.

For GPS based kit, Morpheous Geodyssey and Option Blue I, of which Option seemes to be slightly more featuresome. But there's a new version of the Geodyssey, so all could change. Road Angel is a new name in the GPS/database area, not seen any reviews yet.

Then the very appealing laser deflector/diffractor units. Just inteferes with the laser pulse from the detector unit and the gent in blue thinks his gun's malfunctioning. Gives you a little warning as well, but mount 'em front & rear.

I'm sure some afficionados of this kit can & will add some road tested opinions before long.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks - we have a bit too many boys in blue wjho are keen to catch anything a bit different on the roads!!

·
Registered
364 Posts
hi, i had a look at a blue I they seem impressive very similar to a road angel but there only good for fixed sites i belive but perhaps i'm misinformed?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Road Angel and Snooper SD815iS

I've got both! I know it seems a bit extreme, but both kinds of detectors (radar and GPS) have different qualities.

Radar - Detects Radar and Laser Guns, Gatso's and Mini Gatso's.

GPS - Gatso's and Mini Gatso's, SPECS SVDD and Truvelo systems and temporary camera sites. (Road Angel also shows accident black spots).

Radar detectors are the only way of detecting Radar and Laser guns however can be less accurate than GPS detectors for Gatso's (often giving very late warnings). GPS on the other hand don't actually detect anything (they rely on someone programing locations into them) and therefore can't warn you to very temporary sites (e.g. Policeman standing with a Radar gun).

I know that from this you must all think I drive around like a mad man, but that isn't the case. They are just a precaution. I could not afford to get any points on my license. My insurance is high enough thank you!

A detector will also put your mind at ease. I went to visit a friend on Thursday night and had to drive up the A217. I wasn't driving fast but found that I was spending more time looking out for cameras (which the A217 has more than it's fair share) than watching the road! That can't be a safe way to drive!

It is too easy these days to get caught for silly things. A friend of mine just got 3 points and a fine for getting caught by a roadwork camera. They were doing <70 on a motorway and hadn't spotted that it was reduced to a 50 because of the roadworks.

A few points to remember:

- Basic fixed speeding fine is £60 and 3 points
- Penalty points increase your car insurance costs
- The government wishes to make speeding as anti social as drink driving
- The police can now keep the money they receive from speeding fines
- Speed camera numbers are rising sharply
- Points on your licence can affect your career and ability to carry out your job
- Radar Detector users have fewer accidents
- Radar Detectors are legal in the UK.

But to get back to the point. I have a Snooper SD815iS and a Road Angel which I am very happy with (Wouldn't give them up for anything), however I have used a friends Origin Blue i. I thought this was great for features (some nicer features than the Road Angel) but found it very difficult to see the display clearly. It was also a very horrible size (couldn't mount it anywhere sensible).

If it's Snoopers your after (and you don't want a Snooper and GPS setup) I would go for the Snooper S5. Everyone told me that was the one to go for, but as I wanted both GPS and Snooper, I chose a smaller and cheaper option (Not that the SD815iS isn't a very good Snooper).

I hope this helps (and hasn't sent anyone to sleep).

Paul

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
do any of them lend themselves to being installed nice and discreetly? i really don't want a large chunk of electronics on the dashboard. if i could mount it internally that would be a major selling point for me.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Paul - will look into your recomendations and see who stocks within my area :D

·
Registered
766 Posts
the guy that took me up to TOTB had an origin blue I. i must say i am impressed, it tells you exact speed, and also it will warn you of any cameras, and only cameras, not traffic lights too. i think you alos getabitof money if you report a new camera

1 - 10 of 10 Posts