GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Popped the tranny into snow mode today, as we have some icy roads where I live.

Was trying to determine how the car behaved.

Whenever I pulled away from a standstill, ice apparent or not, the car put full torque to front wheels, but not neccesarily when throttling on the move.

Are there any other features of the snow mode?

Have to say the car handled fine on the ice.

Ed

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I think it slips the clutches more on Snow mode, so the pull-away is gentler and gear-changes are gentler, so reducing the risk of breaking traction.

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
I think it slips the clutches more on Snow mode, so the pull-away is gentler and gear-changes are gentler, so reducing the risk of breaking traction.
+1.

Its deffo smoother at pulling of, great for tight spaces when a bit more control is needed.

·
Registered
288 Posts
The only difference I have found is that the throttle pedal becomes a lot more adjustable. What I mean is that if you push the pedal 50% when in snow mode, it feels about the same as pushing 25% in normal mode. This gives you more adjustability which is important for high powered engines in slippery conditions.

The full 4WD on pull-away is normal and happens in normal driving too, but there may well be other features like locking diffs for longer when in snow mode.

I have to say how well the GT-R drives in snow. I got the courtesy 370Z stuck in my road twice in the snow (my road is never gritted). The GT-R has a very impressive amount of traction though, even up hills.

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
Very impressed with the car in the snow.

At work there is a hill which most cars struggle to get up the GTR had no problem at all and wasn't even in snow mode. One of the guys in a 330D had problems.
Anyone noticed it seems to come out of snow mode by itself? Maybe due to the road surfaces being less slippery on the main roads but not sure.

Watching the torque split its normally 50% up front for the first 12 mph in normal conditions, I saw 50% up to 30mph in the snow. I was ready to go VDC off but didn't need to....

Decided now this is much better than any sports RWD car in the snow by a large margin.

Anyone for the ring in the snow...:clap:

Paul

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
Very impressed with the car in the snow.

At work there is a hill which most cars struggle to get up the GTR had no problem at all and wasn't even in snow mode. One of the guys in a 330D had problems.
Anyone noticed it seems to come out of snow mode by itself? Maybe due to the road surfaces being less slippery on the main roads but not sure.

Watching the torque split its normally 50% up front for the first 12 mph in normal conditions, I saw 50% up to 30mph in the snow. I was ready to go VDC off but didn't need to....

Decided now this is much better than any sports RWD car in the snow by a large margin.

Anyone for the ring in the snow...:clap:

Paul
Paul i've never driven it in snow mode yet apart from tight spaces. I do know that mine will only allow snow mode in auto though, so may be its when you are switching to manual.

·
Registered
968 Posts
It will go out of snow mode when you switch from auto to manual. Snow mode only works in auto mode. I'm also impressed with cars behaviour in snow but will be happier next year with all season dunlops.

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
I do know that mine will only allow snow mode in auto though, so may be its when you are switching to manual.
You are right - must read the manual (again):nervous:

·
Registered
968 Posts
This car is really brilliant in the snow. Took my family to the airport in the Smax which was a total disaster. Trip which takes me normally 45 mins took me 2 hours. Took this pm the GTR and no sweat! Got stuck on a parking place which was sorted by switching VDC off. Wish I had my all season tires already, with those this weather should be really fun!

·
Registered
95 Posts
We tried some winter driving on Blizzaks this week. (it's ~-15 and 50cm's of snow on the roads here) and the GT-R is still terrible because of the big fat tyres, but it is possible to drive around where other cars get stuck. Fast driving in snow is not an option really - I could loose it easily in Subaru Impreza 2.0 company car, but it's down to the tyres/wheels. We will try to make some 8x18'' or even 7x18'' and see what happens then.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
We tried some winter driving on Blizzaks this week. (it's ~-15 and 50cm's of snow on the roads here) and the GT-R is still terrible because of the big fat tyres, but it is possible to drive around where other cars get stuck. Fast driving in snow is not an option really - I could loose it easily in Subaru Impreza 2.0 company car, but it's down to the tyres/wheels. We will try to make some 8x18'' or even 7x18'' and see what happens then.
It's very odd that Nissan spec the winter tyres in the same sizes as the summer tyres. Most manufacturers move to smaller wheels with a larger aspect ratio tyre to give the tyre more flex and reduce the risk of damage. They also move to a narrower rim to increase the pressure on the ground. I would have though a 245 all-round on 18 or 19 inch rims would be best. Just make sure you don't reduce the overall diameter ar you'll lose ground clearance.

Given that Nissan say you cannot re-mount tyres they are effectively expecting you to buy a second set of wheels anyway, so why not a more appropriate set?

·
Registered
95 Posts
It's complicated topic and there is a lot of compromise, because what will work in real snow won't work on wet and dry tarmac. We will certainly produce 18'' wheels anyway so we may as well make narrow ones for next winter. I am inclined to think that to make the car handle in snow we'llneed something like 235-225 wide tyres.
the original tyres are kind of designed for winter weather with some slippery patches, not full-blown snow driving in my opinion. Although they are good enough to just be able to drive around.
I'd like to try driving at race speeds in snow to see how the car copes, but it seems the weight will be much more of a penalty then on tarmac.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Had around 20cms of snow in Munich last night.

Most of the roads were treated with prompt efficiency but I took the car up a few snowy side roads today and there wasn't even the slightest hint of skittishness.

Snow Mode and Comfort Mode were both set to ON and, of course, having a full set of spanking new Blizzaks also helps ;)

·
Registered
968 Posts
Yes, if only those damn blizzaks would be available in Europe...

Since we don't face such snow too often here I ordered the 4 season dunlops from tirerack and had some enkei wheels with that. Delivery sadly in Feb so too late for this winter, next year I'll be better prepared. My HPC quoted (if they would be available) 10,000 euro for the blizzaks + OEM rims. Madness. Paid 3800 usd for the dunlops + enkei's.

·
Registered
300 Posts
SO some of you drive in AUTO on snow?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yes no problems with it in snow mode
Drove home last night -6 snow and Ice the car is so solid and was able to go up all the hills other cars were stuck on.

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
Just used it this morning on sheet ice. Absolutely solid to drive. I pootled into the carpark without drama, with everybody else struggling and looking at me open mouthed!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Only problem I noticed with the snow mode is that you are stuck in auto, meaning that the moment you are above 50 kph (30 mph), you are already in 5th or even 6th gear, so with no engine break and mostly a RWD GTR! Safer to keep it in manual IMHO.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
so far it has been good on snow with worn bridgestone tyres. Will be doing 200miles run tomorrow

My front spltter is a bit of a snow plough :)

Ice will be interesting

R

1 - 20 of 25 Posts