GTR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had the ideal oportunity to try the car with and without snow mode set this morning and I'm strucggling to note any appreciable difference. The car seems extremely capable in the slippy slush that I've encountered and still has much more traction than any 2 wheel drive car I've seen out there.

But on the worst patches I tried the snow setting and didn't see any noticeable change - can anyone tell me what it's supposed to be doing for me?

(oh and yes, I am using it in Automatic mode - I did check the manual on that one)

Thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
Snow mode makes a massive difference, ive been out today in Bolton and had so many near misses i wont be going out in snow again!
The tires are way to wide if there's much more than a few inches.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Snow mode makes a massive difference, ive been out today in Bolton and had so many near misses i wont be going out in snow again!
The tires are way to wide if there's much more than a few inches.
+1

It is one thing to get traction R35 does well but at the end of the day it becomes a sledge with those big tyres. I run my wife's Rav4 no issues, same road 5 minutes later and your heart is in your mouth. Granted these were untreated roads, but I think when we say the car is good in the snow I think we are a little optimistic although no worse (most likely better) than other performance car.

I shall just save up the miles for the sunshine........

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
+1

It is one thing to get traction R35 does well but at the end of the day it becomes a sledge with those big tyres. I run my wife's Rav4 no issues, same road 5 minutes later and your heart is in your mouth. Granted these were untreated roads, but I think when we say the car is good in the snow I think we are a little optimistic although no worse (most likely better) than other performance car.

I shall just save up the miles for the sunshine........
Lindsay,

Ur just not wanting to dirty those lights yah North Sea Pussy:chuckle:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't agree at all - I've had no problems driving my GTR - of course if you drop the hammer you're going to get wheel spin - but driven steadily I've had obvious advantages over all the 2WD cars. I even took my wife's SMax out for a comparison and it was way more fragile and tentative with any kind of lock on.

Once at work I had no trouble manouvering and parking - whereas my colleagues on RWD BMWs did a fine impersonation of Bambi on ice!

But I can't really see much difference between grip levels with snow mode on or off - so I believe that it's simply a question of having AWD that makes the car usable. However I'd be grateful if someone technical could explain exactly what engaging snow mode is supposed to do to the car's set up.

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
Please excuse my terminology, but in snow mode the clutch doesnt engage as harshly as with out it, so driving off is a bit more progressive and smoother, not as jerky as normal mode, lot more controllable with the throttle on take off.

If that makes sense.

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Please excuse my terminology, but in snow mode the clutch doesnt engage as harshly as with out it, so driving off is a bit more progressive and smoother, not as jerky as normal mode, lot more controllable with the throttle on take off.

If that makes sense.
Yup, that's right, clutch engagement is a lot more progressive and "softer" to help maintain traction, it sends more torque for longer to the front and it changes up earlier.

In case you didn't know, it's only available in Auto mode.

·
Premium Member
8,829 Posts
Yup I concur Mr Yu

·
Registered
91 Posts
To be fair, out of all the sportscar options, id pick the GT-R as the weapon of choice in the snow. However didn't really think about the wide wheels and their impact. All this talk of snow and sportscars remind me of Colin Mcrae needing to be picked up by his missus (driving a Citroen Picasso) when he got his Murcielargo stuck in the snow.

·
Premium Member
8,829 Posts
Thats cos he bought the wrong car ! LOL, he should have got himself a GTR, however fat tyres and frozen slush and snow arent good for any car let alone a GTR !!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yup, that's right, clutch engagement is a lot more progressive and "softer" to help maintain traction, it sends more torque for longer to the front and it changes up earlier.
How does the snow setting affect torque distribution between front and rear? I though the snow setting was on the gearbox only and torque distribution was down to VDC?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
How does the snow setting affect torque distribution between front and rear? I though the snow setting was on the gearbox only and torque distribution was down to VDC?

Cheers
No, torque distribution is mainly down to the transmission. VDC is mainly about the ESP and TC using the brakes and cutting power.

You can have SNOW and VDC OFF for example.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thank you for enlightening me David. I am assuming the snow will be gone by the time my car arrives in March (but you never know!). The manual does actually say that snow mode controls powertrain torque.

Cheers

·
Registered
938 Posts
oh! just me then?

I found the gt-r great in snow on my recent holiday to scotland but since getting back to work have been using my old unmodified mark 1 impreza turbo as a workhorse and it's also great. I've been very careful to keep the speed down as I am aware that 4 wheel drive doesn't help you stop more quickly but been a bit bold about the depth of snow i've been driving through e.g. in car parks mixing it with the off roaders and it coped just fine. Today however I kept noticing a slight shimmy every time i edged over 35mph (on a 70 limit road but one with ice on it). I left the road at a safe opportunity and checked my tyres which were fine apart from packed ice which had filled the gap between the (standard) wheels and the wheelarches which i had to knock out using the ice scraper as a chisel and then the handling improved greatly! Not had this problem with the gt-r despite having driven it in deep snow up my friend's long ungritted drive. I've learnt my lesson now but just thought i should mention it to cover the unlikely eventuality that there is anyone else out there as lacking in common sense as me who wasn't already aware of this issue

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

In case you didn't know, it's only available in Auto mode.
In other words the snow mode forces the car to deliver the power in a way that most sensible drivers would do by themselves (which is why I'm not noticing any real difference with it on or off).

(I can't believe how many people I see revving their cars and spinning their wheels in vain attempts to get moving off from a standstill!!!!)

Thanks to those who provided the clarifications.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
In other words the snow mode forces the car to deliver the power in a way that most sensible drivers would do by themselves (which is why I'm not noticing any real difference with it on or off).

(I can't believe how many people I see revving their cars and spinning their wheels in vain attempts to get moving off from a standstill!!!!)

Thanks to those who provided the clarifications.
Not really, as it gives you a greater precision of throttle control at very low speed that you don't get in normal mode. Also you cannot influence the torque-split yourself.

You are right about the number of idiots revving and wheel-spinning. The other pain is people who don't carry enough momentum up hills and who don't understand that the faster you go the less wheelspin you get.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts