GTR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would see a thread on this on recent pages be can't. Anyone had one fitted then tracked it? Did the temps stay below 120? Was it just a heatsink model or is there a cooling fan (it's just like a giant CPU :) ). I can't help but wonder if some enterprising company is just cashing in on transmission paranoia and selling an expensive piece of crap.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
The problem is that I'm not sure anyone in the UK has actually fitted one yet!

Very few GTRs in the UK do trackdays, I've counted perhaps 6 different cars across all the trackdays I've spectated or driven at. None of these had fitted coolers, with most owners just choosing to either only do a few laps, or pay for extra oil changes.

Perhaps this coming summer, when it's hotter and there's loads of GTRs around more people will experience higher temps and some may get them fitted.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Thought I would see a thread on this on recent pages be can't. Anyone had one fitted then tracked it? Did the temps stay below 120? Was it just a heatsink model or is there a cooling fan (it's just like a giant CPU :) ). I can't help but wonder if some enterprising company is just cashing in on transmission paranoia and selling an expensive piece of crap.
Hi.

Without wanting to mention the dreaded "w", any tranny cooler is going to seriously wave goodbye to it. With the initial cost and the possible issues going forward it is probably just as easy to pay for an oil change if and when you break the temp rules. I really think Nissan are going to be happier with regular and sensible oil changes rather than third party add ons!

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Hi.

Without wanting to mention the dreaded "w", any tranny cooler is going to seriously wave goodbye to it. With the initial cost and the possible issues going forward it is probably just as easy to pay for an oil change if and when you break the temp rules. I really think Nissan are going to be happier with regular and sensible oil changes rather than third party add ons!
I would actually strongly disagree with that.

Firstly, it would be difficult to see how a transmission cooler could cause an engine to fail. I'm sure that Nissan would prefer the car to remain standard, but given that Nissan have themselves effectively declared that there is a problem with oil temps by way of the warranty restrictions, if an owner fits something that only helps to resolve this known problem and in no way affects the engine, then I'd be very surprised if they would bounce a claim, or if a court would find in their favour if they did.

In comparison to the chance of a warranty being voided for Cobb, exhaust or y-pipe (which in my personal opinion I would say are 'almost certain', 'possible' and 'very remote' in turn), the effect and chance of this happening for an oil-cooler is tiny by comparison.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
There are loads available from the US and Australia. Would be good to see a UK developed and tested one though....

·
Registered
690 Posts
I would actually strongly disagree with that.

Firstly, it would be difficult to see how a transmission cooler could cause an engine to fail. I'm sure that Nissan would prefer the car to remain standard, but given that Nissan have themselves effectively declared that there is a problem with oil temps by way of the warranty restrictions, if an owner fits something that only helps to resolve this known problem and in no way affects the engine, then I'd be very surprised if they would bounce a claim, or if a court would find in their favour if they did.

In comparison to the chance of a warranty being voided for Cobb, exhaust or y-pipe (which in my personal opinion I would say are 'almost certain', 'possible' and 'very remote' in turn), the effect and chance of this happening for an oil-cooler is tiny by comparison.
I'm no tech but I'd assume to cool tranny oil it has to pass through the third party bit you've fitted? Now that seems a whole lot more open to a failure than a y pipe?! Maybe Nissan can endorse a cooler if they are accepting there is a cooling issue?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm no tech but I'd assume to cool tranny oil it has to pass through the third party bit you've fitted? Now that seems a whole lot more open to a failure than a y pipe?! Maybe Nissan can endorse a cooler if they are accepting there is a cooling issue?
Unless it's just like a CPU fan cooler or heatsink that physically conducts heat away from the outer casing - that would be far less complex (possibly far less effective too!) and less likely to cause W issues perhaps.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I've not seen a GTR summer yet so maybe I'll think differently then. My oils are struggling to stay hot at the moment! The guys in R35's at the Bruntingthorpe track last June seemed to be able to keep their transmission temps to within acceptable limits, but that is a fairly short circuit.

It's a pity Nissan cant see they are missing a trick by not offering a host of upgrades at sensible(ish) prices. Subaru did just that, and many bought the Pro-drive wheel, fuel pump. exhaust and chip upgrade for the STI. If tranny cooling is on the Nissan "to fix" list, an approved upgrade makes commercial sense.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Im running my own diffcooler(as this is the hottest part of the trans(over 150degrees)......gearboxtemps dont climb that fast as without and maxtemps stay a lot lower then without the cooler.....on my last trackday it was around 120 degree where is normaly is near 130 degrees....now fitting a small additional gearboxcooler and im sure everything works how it should have done from the factory :chuckle:

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
yes UK designed & produced cooler on mine now in proto form. mated to mocal cooler. lots real deal testing first

stuff out at moment is over priced joke. but do rate the dobson cooler, very cost effective and works in hot climate countries in asia.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
stuff out at moment is over priced joke.
most of it is totally overpriced and not even good engineered...most of the kits come with small jokes of what should be oilpumps,no filters,no thermoswitches....

But seems to me that US guys are buying everything.....from NZ companys:chuckle:

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Save your money, they are completely pointless. Unless you track your car all the time, or drive like a knob head everywhere on the road. In which case, just buy a racing car. Mine takes half an hour of "normal" driving to reach the 70 degrees required before the jump to light speed. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts