GTR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm now looking to buy a weekend vehicle and it's really come down to an R8,Gen 2 997,Lotus Evora and a GTR.

I've owned a 997s and a 997 GT3 and though I'm tempted to go back to Porsche the new warranty system has put me off.

The R8 seems to tick most boxes as a weekend toy but I'm talking 60k +

Evora actually seems to be the car for me but for some reason £55K seems a lot of money for that car. I haven't driven it yet though!

I'm looking at a used GTR for under £50k . What attracts me is the performace and price. What I would like to know from people who have owned the above vehicles is how the GTR compares as a weekend toy ?

What I'm really after is a honest opinion on ownership from someone who has come from Porsche or R8 ownership. Does the GTR offer true driver enjoyment or has it just turned out to be a very fast point to point vehicle ?

Regards

Sock

·
Registered
519 Posts
For me a weekend toy needs to be something quite special, such as a porker, ferrari, TVR, Noble, Exige or lambo type thing.

Your other options are more practical all rounders, albeit exceptional ones!

Just depends if what box you want to tick.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I've owned a 997s and a 997 GT3 and though I'm tempted to go back to Porsche the new warranty system has put me off.
What's Porsche's "new warranty system"?

When you say "weekend vehicle", do you mean for track driving, or just for driving for fun (country roads, road trips, etc.)? I'm not qualified to comment on the former, but the GT-R is such a great all-rounder that there is absolutely no need to keep it only as a weekend car. My GT-R is my daily driver and it does absolutely everything with aplomb - spirited driving, motorway cruiser, traffic jams, trips to the supermarket, days out with the kid(s), etc. It also generates a massive amount of respect and admiration from other road users. It's the only car you'll ever need!

·
Registered
342 Posts
It's the only car you'll ever need!
I agree unless like me you have three teenage children in which case you will need a ford galaxy as well.:D

It is a most fantastic car. I have had mine 7 months and 6900 miles and it never fails to impress me and most observers or passengers.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I agree that the GTR is a fantastic piece of kit and I use mine almost everyday. It also can thrill to an intense level - but you really have to be going seriously fast to get into that territory. So I'd suggest that if it's driving thrills you're after then you're looking in the wrong area - you need a Cateram or similar or just stick with the latest Exige derivative - I'd certainly insist on RWD, not 4WD.

Then again - if your idea of weekend motoring is more about cruising and turning heads then maybe the GTR isn't such a bad idea - it certainly does tick that box.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
"Any time, anywhere!"

Ditto on most of this chaps. The GT-R is a very competent beast indeed.
I use mine every day, to and from work. I'm still getting used to the attention, so I don't go to the shops in it. We have a Volvo for that sort of thing.

Having only test driven the 911 turbo, I would say that the Porsche is much more badge than car. The Nissan being the other way around, obviously.

On a level playing field, the R8 is the best car, all things considered.

However, the GT-R is part of me. Like the Wife and kids. It isn't going anywhere soon. I wouldn't get this attached to an Audi, or a Porsche.

Who would have thought that a Datsun would be so exclusive! LOL

Sorry for rambling, but I think the point is in there somewhere.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
8 Posts
If it is a 'weekend' vehicle you are after then a Ferrari or Lambo must be the main contenders....for just over £60k you can get a very nice Gallardo or 430, which will give you everything you need in a 'special' car. As much as I like the GTR it won't put the smile on your face like a Lambo....

The new ferraris are very well built, hence the 4 year warranty you get from them new.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts