GTR Forum banner

161 - 180 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
9,675 Posts
Some right up there mate, I think my next area for modifying will be suspension set up but it handles so well now I'm worried about letting anyone touch incase they make it worse. Had a few bad experiences with laser allignment on previous cars what has made them drive/handle worse
Despite our past differences and not agreeing on certain things happy to take you for a spin in mine as soo as I get the car finalised. Then you can see for yourself what difference the suspension and braking mods had made to my car as well as the DTM controller.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Despite our past differences and not agreeing on certain things happy to take you for a spin in mine as soo as I get the car finalised. Then you can see for yourself what difference the suspension and braking mods had made to my car as well as the DTM controller.
That's a nice offer mate but I find it so hard from passenger seat, I normally get my dad to tell me because he is in the passenger seat of mine all the time so can tell the diffrence. I need a hicas delete kit anyway so it will have to be setup somewhere. Who set yours up Ross?

·
Real men use a H-Pattern.
12,028 Posts
- not sure Ian, guessing it was provided by Nissan.
Hmm. I ask because a few racing drivers have driven mine and they all drove it conservatively. If the 35 was privately owned, he may have been a bit reserved. ???

p.s. - stop spelling my name wrong. ;) lol

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
13 yr 35 was Nissan demonstrator - vid is on Autocar website

the 34 Z tune laptime of 1.01 around tsukuba is suspicious, as a later test showed it around 1.04. need to find the vid on youtube

·
Registered
9,675 Posts
A bone stock R32 did it in 1.07 R33 in 1.06 and R34 in 1.05 can't remember the tenths of a second. So a 1.01 for a z tune is a possibility. But also factor in the Tarmac and over the years how it may have degraded and at what points the track might have been fast.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Found the best motoring vid. Was in a battle with a z06, Subaru impreza & murcierlago. Time attack time was 1.05.1

All seemed a bit slow, but circuit was dry.

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
Seems I miss all the best debates...

I think Richards ct17 car would be a good r32 to use has good brakes like a 35 and has 600 odd bhp so be a fair test there too
Thanks. :)

Yeah Mine too not enough power but everything else is there brakes, suspension, chassis etc.

Richards would be a good car to use.
Also thanks. :)

While I would be happy to do this, I think we are missing the point a little.

The original post was this:

Here is wat keeps my mind bussy for some days now. I drove a 600hp gtr the other day and it felt out of this world fast. No lag or "wait for it, wait for it..... now powerrrrrr". I liked it alot. It's a real drive license killer tbh.

My Skyline gtr has around 438 hp and is fun to drive but now i have seen the light, lol.

What buggles me is, can i feel the same sensation in a 600 hp Skyline gtr? Or it's not even close. keep in mind my car is 200kg lighter.

Share your experience with me :)
sould i go for it?
I have had a stage 4 (630bhp) R35 GT-R and a stage 2 (600bhp) R35 GT-R.
As well as my 635bhp R32 GT-R.

The R32 with the same power does indeed give you the same sensation of raw acceleration.

Only the Skyline does have moments off the throttle to change gear.

And most importantly because the Skyline is an old car that's less well developed and less well insulated it feels:

More scary.
Faster.
More likely to bite you.

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
To carry on, as I had to read to the one year old...

I don't think there would be much in it between a GT-R and a Skyline GT-R, both running 600bhp.

The GT-R is foolproof modding, simple stage 4 mods. Job done.

The Skyline is a lot more tricky.
Many options that lead to many different types of power delivery.
Some of which will be too peaky and wouldn't hold a candle to the GT-R.

Starting with an older engine that's a smaller displacement it's far harder to get a good usable 600+bhp. There are enough Skylines out there with mega horsepower that are build for drag or big figures.
They won't be quick on track or the road like the R35 is.

That's why my R32 stands me in about the same financially as a four year old R35 GT-R.

And last, the point at which the R35 drivers will moan...

Any half decent driver can get in a stage 4 GT-R and go pretty quickly.
Maybe not getting everything out of the car, but 90% maybe?

Anyone that isn't a good driver or really knows the car will not get as much out of a Skyline of the same speed.
Because the performance is harder to access.

Hence people always banging on about the differences between them.

I am a huge R35 fan as many people on here know.
But when I got the R32 I couldn't believe how much harder I had to work... and was still going slower.

·
R35 Section manager
10,708 Posts
If the 35 gets a good start as it should then my money is on that as the gear changes are so quick.
Huge respect for both cars and don't really care if the race happens or not!

·
Registered
511 Posts
As I said before to many, for a driving sensation, it is hard to beat the R32.
There are other sport car I have been in such as S2000, Evo, etc.

I think one of the best thing about the R32 is that it strike a really really fine balance.
A car that feels alive to drive and will still want to kill you if you disrespect it.
But at the same time it feels planted enough compared to other RWD car that you feel confident pushing the loud paddle.

The R32 just make you feel alive to drive it, and feel alive after getting out of the car.
You probably aren't going to win any contest, after all it is now a 25 years old classic car.
I think the fact people still are comparing it to the latest equal offering from Nissan shows how good it was back in 1990's.

Imagine people comparing the Ferrari 458 Italia vs. the Ferrari 348 in a contest of speed.
That performance gap will be so large it would be near impossible to fill no matter how much mods you throw at it.

Jerrick

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Good Cars are always Good Cars and very hard to beat!

Imagine people comparing the Ferrari 458 Italia vs. the Ferrari 348 in a contest of speed.
That performance gap will be so large it would be near impossible to fill no matter how much mods you throw at it.
You know, That's a really good way of putting it Jerrick!:cool:

Long story but....Two of the cars that were very high on my "Bucket List" to Own one day were the early 1990's Lotus Carlton or the mid 1990's R33 Skyline GT-R. Both of these macho looking machines are known to rust quite badly but both of these have lusty straight six twin turbocharged engines that really floats my boat so to speak!

Where the two door Skyline Coupé looses out on cylinder capacity (The RWD only four door Saloon Lotus' 3615cc 24v C36GET lump being a whole 1000cc's+ larger than the RB26DETT's) , All 2568cc powered GT-R's more than make up this capacity short fall with Nissan's sophisticated ATTESSA 4WD traction. Both were similarly priced on the second hand car market too. Add also into the fact that all Lotus Carlton's/Lotus Omega's produce well over their claimed 377bhp (anything from 410bhp to 435bhp is common place Rolling Road results) and you'll probably never ever come across a 100% standard Skyline GT-R either....Then the choices between the two became blurred thus making it even harder for me to choose one than you'd think.

Then it was decision time. Only three things in the end finally swayed me towards my Skyline. The first was that the Nissan has a steering rack not a box and thus has much better response/feel to it, secondly you can still buy brand new OE parts for it (GM gave up on the Lotus' over ten years ago now) and the thirdly/finally was the fact that my car had once gone up Santa Pod posting a 1/4 mile time of 11.922sec @ 124.83mph!

This might not mean much to any of you Guys but to me it meant something truly important indeed. During 1992 professional Driver Rudy Thomann was trying hard to make Lotus Omega 0038C get into the Autocar & Motor record books. Again at Santa Pod, This Lotus with over 30k passed under its wheels did a punishing 18 passes of the strip trying to get the best 0-100mph-0 times possible, It finished second place overall after this test behind a Ferrari F40 at number one but in front of a Ford RS200 placed in third.

So, After 18 goes at this task the Parisian Senior Development Engineer/Racing Driver (Thomann) got the big old Lotus Omega bus to 100mph at exactly 11.92 seconds on their Correvit timing gear that day. You see, I just couldn't get it through my head that my Skyline GT-R driven by a total novice managed to do 24mph more than this expert did just 0.002 of a second behind that Lotus in what was to become my very Own BCNR33!!!:eek::chuckle:

Similar four seat performance Cars with a similar engine philosophy manufactured just a few years apart but with utterly different results.

Unsurprisingly I suppose (looking back now), I soon upset so called friends when my "Jap-Crap" Datsun proved itself to be faster than 0207G (417bhp) & 0356G (435bhp) which are both well known documented Lotus Carlton's in the Autobahnstormers Community.

Having driven around eight of these vehicles myself in the past two decades and knowing just how difficult these Lotus' were to get cleanly off the line without its ar$e wagging about filling up both lanes of any given road, I was gobsmacked at how civilised and easily controllable a 500bhp Skyline GT-R was in comparison at full chat! It certainly wasn't as aggressive and uncontrollable as I was expecting it to be. As a result of this relative tameness in the extreme my GT-R was soon lovingly nicknamed by my true friends as the fast Micra because it can pootle about Town, do the weekly shop without any hints of drama but it can also in the blink of an eye chase after a Porsche when provoked, Upset the Focus RS crowd or leave a Bavarian M-power'd BMW in its wake...Which I really, REALLY like this dangerous schizophrenic dual personality to it!

And maybe deep down and with reflection this is why I was so harsh on the standard R35 Nissan GT-R I got to experience last month?? If the earlier Skyline GT-R can be such a devastating and all conquering tool when it was directly compared to a Supercar rival from the same era, Then I was expecting the much newer R35 to do roughly the same annihilation job to my Skyline as my R33 did aborting these two different Lotus Carlton's I mentioned above.

But sadly, that kick in excitement and adrenaline didn't happen. Perhaps I was expecting too much from a Nissan GT-R after all the raw iconic R32/R33/R34 's are still a pretty hard benchmark performance car to beat even with today's advancements in vehicle technologies!:bowdown1:

Oh Well....

JM2PW!:nervous:

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
You know, That's a really good way of putting it Jerrick!:cool:

Long story but....Two of the cars that were very high on my "Bucket List" to Own one day were the early 1990's Lotus Carlton or the mid 1990's R33 Skyline GT-R. Both of these macho looking machines are known to rust quite badly but both of these have lusty straight six twin turbocharged engines that really floats my boat so to speak!

Where the two door Skyline Coupé looses out on cylinder capacity (The RWD only four door Saloon Lotus' 3615cc 24v C36GET lump being a whole 1000cc's+ larger than the RB26DETT's) , All 2568cc powered GT-R's more than make up this capacity short fall with Nissan's sophisticated ATTESSA 4WD traction. Both were similarly priced on the second hand car market too. Add also into the fact that all Lotus Carlton's/Lotus Omega's produce well over their claimed 377bhp (anything from 410bhp to 435bhp is common place Rolling Road results) and you'll probably never ever come across a 100% standard Skyline GT-R either....Then the choices between the two became blurred thus making it even harder for me to choose one than you'd think.

Then it was decision time. Only three things in the end finally swayed me towards my Skyline. The first was that the Nissan has a steering rack not a box and thus has much better response/feel to it, secondly you can still buy brand new OE parts for it (GM gave up on the Lotus' over ten years ago now) and the thirdly/finally was the fact that my car had once gone up Santa Pod posting a 1/4 mile time of 11.922sec @ 124.83mph!

This might not mean much to any of you Guys but to me it meant something truly important indeed. During 1992 professional Driver Rudy Thomann was trying hard to make Lotus Omega 0038C get into the Autocar & Motor record books. Again at Santa Pod, This Lotus with over 30k passed under its wheels did a punishing 18 passes of the strip trying to get the best 0-100mph-0 times possible, It finished second place overall after this test behind a Ferrari F40 at number one but in front of a Ford RS200 placed in third.

So, After 18 goes at this task the Parisian Senior Development Engineer/Racing Driver (Thomann) got the big old Lotus Omega bus to 100mph at exactly 11.92 seconds on their Correvit timing gear that day. You see, I just couldn't get it through my head that my Skyline GT-R driven by a total novice managed to do 24mph more than this expert did just 0.002 of a second behind that Lotus in what was to become my very Own BCNR33!!!:eek::chuckle:

Similar four seat performance Cars with a similar engine philosophy manufactured just a few years apart but with utterly different results.

Unsurprisingly I suppose (looking back now), I soon upset so called friends when my "Jap-Crap" Datsun proved itself to be faster than 0207G (417bhp) & 0356G (435bhp) which are both well known documented Lotus Carlton's in the Autobahnstormers Community.

Having driven around eight of these vehicles myself in the past two decades and knowing just how difficult these Lotus' were to get cleanly off the line without its ar$e wagging about filling up both lanes of any given road, I was gobsmacked at how civilised and easily controllable a 500bhp Skyline GT-R was in comparison at full chat! It certainly wasn't as aggressive and uncontrollable as I was expecting it to be. As a result of this relative tameness in the extreme my GT-R was soon lovingly nicknamed by my true friends as the fast Micra because it can pootle about Town, do the weekly shop without any hints of drama but it can also in the blink of an eye chase after a Porsche when provoked, Upset the Focus RS crowd or leave a Bavarian M-power'd BMW in its wake...Which I really, REALLY like this dangerous schizophrenic dual personality to it!

And maybe deep down and with reflection this is why I was so harsh on the standard R35 Nissan GT-R I got to experience last month?? If the earlier Skyline GT-R can be such a devastating and all conquering tool when it was directly compared to a Supercar rival from the same era, Then I was expecting the much newer R35 to do roughly the same annihilation job to my Skyline as my R33 did aborting these two different Lotus Carlton's I mentioned above.

But sadly, that kick in excitement and adrenaline didn't happen. Perhaps I was expecting too much from a Nissan GT-R after all the raw iconic R32/R33/R34 's are still a pretty hard benchmark performance car to beat even with today's advancements in vehicle technologies!:bowdown1:

Oh Well....

JM2PW!:nervous:
well said

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
With all out racing cars it's a whole other story, but I think the op is referring to a mildly modded Road car where the r35 is king imo

161 - 180 of 226 Posts