GTR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to rant for a quick minute. It just seems that it is ALWAYS the guys without the car who are supposed to be the "expert" on the car!

Here is a quick recap of my night last night. So I just recently got my GTR33, and I am loving it to death. On top of that I have the ONLY GTR33 in my state (im in the USA of course) so I receive quite a bit of attention for it, including the guys who are Skyline "experts" (keeping in mind I own the ONLY GTR33 in the state). Well If anyone remembers my previous posts I am coming from an EVO IX and I knew the 4G63T engine like the back of my hand and prided myself for it. So of course I am attempting to also learn the RB26DETT engine to the same degree. Now sure there are a BUNCH of things I do not know about the engine, but I am a man of research so I know the primary stuff.

Well anyway, I am out at the races last night so that I can get a baseline for my GTR33 before I start my modifications. I really just wanted to see what it would keep up with/defeat stock. So we are out there having a bunch of fun and what not when we start having a discussion about the RB26 engine and its potential. Of course it all started because many people were quite impressed about what it does stock and we were discussing my upgrade path. Of course we came to talk about the turbos and I was saying that I was going to upgrade the turbos and keep the Twin setup instead of one big one. Well then a guys decides to tell me, "nah man its not necessary to upgrade the turbos yet! The stock ones are good for 550whp!" So I nicely corrected the guy saying, "I think you might have the turbos mixed up. The stock block can handle that however the stock turbos can not as they are ceramic." So then of course everyone else, about 10 guys, join in telling me im wrong. They commence to tell me "nahh man we are telling you! The stock turbos can handle about 22psi and run 550whp before you need to upgrade it! Hell ALL the guys in Japan are running 11s on the stock turbos!" So once again I nicely correct them saying, "guys I think you may be misinformed. The stock turbos is only safely good at about 1.2-1.5bar, after that you run the risk of blowing them up as the turbine in ceramic. If you want to run any higher boost you need a turbo with a steel wheel." Well anyway about a 10min argument takes place where everyone is telling me THE guys with the Skyline that I am wrong about such commonly known knowledge and that I can indeed safely run 550whp on the stock turbos. So finally I get tired of arguing and tell the guys "whatever you say, however thats not going to happen on MY Skyline" and end the conversation.

I apologize for the long post guys, but it just kills me that its always the guys without the car, that have never SEEN the car, that dont RESEARCH the car that claims to know everything about the damn thing. It is becuase of this that I understand why you guys over in the UK and AUS have such disdain for American Skyline owners. They hear this crap spouted from Honda guys and assume that it is true and continue to pass it on. It just really ****es me off since they are going to be the DIRECT reason for someone killing their Skyline.

Oh well, rant over, just wanted to get that off of my chest.

btw, the Skyline is a MONSTER compared to an EVO in the 1/4mi! I ran my stock Skyline against an EVO with HKS 272 cams, intake, exhaust, FMIC, and Power FC and managed to still beat him by a fender or 2! Gotta love Godzilla! (yes I know technically the R32 is Godzilla, humor me guys. :) ) Anyway, I am QUITE happy about my purchase.

-Sayajin

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Sayajin said:
The stock turbos is only safely good at about 1.2-1.5bar, after that you run the risk of blowing them up as the turbine in ceramic.

-Sayajin
BOOM! :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

Get the idea? :rolleyes:

It seems you need to do some searching on here :chairshot :chairshot :chairshot

Stock turbo's are maxed out at 1 bar ;)

Glad to see you are enjoying the car, try to ignore the idiots that surround you

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Good man, and all true, you can't run stock ceramics over 1.1 bar without significant risk..

It must feel really good to own the only GTR in your state you lucky chap!

I imported my first skyline into this country about 7 years ago, and then they were like gold dust in the UK..

The car only cost me 13K [it was a GTS25t] and the amount of interest it generated was unbelievable :)

Good luck with the future mods mate - cheers

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it is my understanding that 1bar is the recommend amount of boost to run, However 1.2-1.5 is the MAX they can handle at ALL. What I was trying to tell the guys is that while 1bar is recommend for saftey the most physically possible to run (for any length of time, however not necessarily safley) is 1.2-1.5bar.

-Sayajin

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
1bar max for standard turbo's. really depends on the condition of your turbo's a to whether 1 bar is ok. I've been running 1 bar for nearly a year now with no prob's whatsoever.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Faz Choudhury said:
1bar max for standard turbo's. really depends on the condition of your turbo's a to whether 1 bar is ok. I've been running 1 bar for nearly a year now with no prob's whatsoever.
I think we are talking 2 different things. It appears you are referring to what can be safley run, I am referring to what can be physically run at ALL, for any length of time. Meaning for more then a week. While it will definetly kill your turbos it will still operate at least for a little bit. However, I could indeed be incorrect in my information as well.

-Sayajin

·
Banned
11,494 Posts
Good luck with your GTR.

1.0bar is the limit for R33 GTR ceramic turbos (unless you have the R33 GTR N1, which has steel turbos, I think). They are good for 225bhp each. At 1.0bar they are virtually maxed out but with a steel turbine upgrade you can push them to 1.3bar and get maybe 500bhp flywheel (? someone step in here if I'm wrong).

Obviously injectors and AFMs also need upgrading past 440-450bhp.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
:)
Sayajin said:
I think we are talking 2 different things. It appears you are referring to what can be safley run, I am referring to what can be physically run at ALL, for any length of time. Meaning for more then a week. While it will definetly kill your turbos it will still operate at least for a little bit. However, I could indeed be incorrect in my information as well.-Sayajin
You can get 1.4 bar out of standard 33 ceramics - you are just dicing with death!
A couple of tuners I have spoken to say it is safe to run them up to 1.1, but you are definitely safe at below 1.0

To stay really safe I would run them at 0.9, I would also recommend replacing them when they have done 60-80K

Its not an exact science - I guess it depends on whether you like taking risks in life !!

You are better off scrapping them completely - ceramics are too much of a worry IMO!

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Reminds me of the chap who told me my car must have 600bhp because all Skylines have...... Fair enough I said.

·
Banned
11,494 Posts
Marky_GTSt said:
Reminds me of the chap who told me my car must have 600bhp because all Skylines have...... Fair enough I said.
Was that the guy from Saudi or somewhere who allegedly ran 1.7 bar with stock turbos and stock injectors?:D

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Yea summin like that, And if you recall the rant about "My mates got a skyline with 1000bhp" etc.... LOL

·
Banned
11,494 Posts
When buying my GTR, I was told that the stock block was good for 1000bhp.

Yes, the non-forged conrods and unbalanced crank will love that.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Trust me, I have the same thing happen. I've been working on the cars for 7 years here in the US. I have worked on somewhere around 100 cars.

I will be at a show or an event, and I will get some of the same comments. 1000hp STOCK....blah, blah, blah. Most of the time, I can't even be bothered, and just ignore them.

As far as boost on stock turbos, You can run a bunch of boost,and they will let go. Guys have gone 11's on the stock turbos in Australia, and one guy in the US has gone 11's on the stock turbos. [email protected] He was running 1.6 bar of boost. He didn't care about the motor or the turbos, he was going out to kill it and run an 11 second pass.

He ran a couple of 11 second passes, kept getting kicked out of the track. No roll bar - no 11 second passes. He ended up blowing up the motor shortly after.

Several R32's in the low 12's. Several R33's in the mid 12's on stock turbos.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I bought an RB25 engine with the ceramic turbine wheel in the, single, turbo.
I wanted to take the turbo apart because it had a crack in the turbine housing, transport damage.
The housing was slightly rusted against the centre section so I took a rubber hammer and gentlytapped on the housing. 1 tap was enough, the blades came out already.. :runaway:

1 bar = 1 ATM = max for that turbo so it seems. :rolleyes:

But I think I will have to agree with the guy you were talking to.
In the US you can do 500+ HP on the stock turbo's.
In Europe gravity is different so you will lose HP.

Seen to many :blahblah: stories on US performance sites so if I were you just ignore and do your own investigations regarding the RB's.

I'd rather drive fast low HP car than a slow 550 HP car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts