GTR Forum banner

So much for underseal/restoration project

194K views 988 replies 138 participants last post by  AppleMacGuy 
#1 ·
Paid £400 only 18 months ago to have the entire underside of my GTR undersealed.

Had it up on a lift yesterday. Half the underseal has disappeared.:chairshot
Not impressed!! How long is this stuff supposed to last? Going by the bit where it's fallen off, it's not a recent thing either.

So need to spend a bit of cash on getting the underside pretty and to find another place to do it again.

Anybody suggest a good place to spend about £2K getting the underside of the car pretty again?

#3 ·
What I want is all the brackets etc. removed, galvanised, and the entire floor cleaned and resealed. Stainless bolts (and I've got a stainless kit for the diffuser on the rear). I want to completely renew it.

Luckily no serious rust, but the bit that hasn't been covered has started to suffer, so it does need doing. I don't even drive the damn thing in the winter, so annoying!

#12 ·
Toni, unfortunately this sounds like a very familiar story!!! :(

You have the right idea, the 34 has so many brackets, hangers, support bars, etc. etc. to do it properly everything really needs to be striped of and then all the old crapy tar like under-seal, that will have been half heartedly slapped on for £400 quid, removed, the metal then needs to be treated, and then base coated, and top coated! And the only product to use is POR15, anything less is a waste of time!! Some of the Dintrol products are useful for spraying inside the box sections, and perhaps to cover the high impact areas, wheel arches, etc. But POR 15 first!

I know you hate FB (me too actually!) but if you would like a recommendation PM or email me and ill send you a link you can view as a guest!

Steve

#14 ·
Steveline, do send me a guest view I'm sure it'll be interesting.

Don't think I will take it back, I don't want the same guys on the car again if they can't do the job properly the first time.

I've had a few PMs and recommendations, will take time to think about what to do.

#15 ·
Hey Toni just got back from a week in lovely Turkey and my attention was drawn to this. Drop me a pm if you want me to have a look at your 34 for you?
Cheers
;)
Bob

#16 · (Edited)
OK guys, after much thought I decided to give the car to Rogue Motorsport in Coventry, ordinarily they work on all my MR2s but I have a lot of faith in them as an outfit and they were very keen to do a GTR.

I'll update as appropriate, but suffice to say things are looking like they need a hell of a lot of work under there.:runaway: Currently we are deciding wether to remove the subframes and suspension and do the job properly!!! God it's a nightmare and I've had to keep hold of all play money as I'm not sure what it's going to cost yet.

I also need to replace some parts, I'll be putting up pictures in wanted to see if anyone has some good condition ones kicking around. Otherwise it'll be new Nissan.:bawling:

Almost certain I'll need to replace the exhaust too...it's on the point of giving up.

One other thing, you'll never believe this but some muppet in the past has drilled through my floor and fixed some pipework to the car with a normal bolt and now we've got to strip the inside of the car to get it out as it is just spinning. Arrgh!

I'll put up some photos shortly, but UK GTRs, be very afraid!! Even though my strut tops are clean there's a hell of a lot of attention needed underneath.

#106 ·
Since i have the engine out decided to fit the 33 diffs when i took the subframe out even though i could not see any rust before i have removed the subframe i couldn't believe my eyes so this is taking me a lot back since i decided to strip everything from the car to proper fix it once for all, i suggest to change the bushes to polys since you have everything off. All UK cars or even driven in the Uk due to the salt and humidity rust.

#17 ·
If your going to do it do it right I sa Toni!!!
Be interested to hear how much they charge you for the whole job.
;)
Bob

#19 ·
I've just done mine, stripped back to metal Kurust just to make sure any surface rust remaining is treated, 2 coats of anti-rust primer, a coat of hammerite and then undersealed.

Should be good for yrs. :D

#24 ·
The only way to stop rust properly is to get rid of it back to bare metal anything else just won't do!
;)
Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.