GTR Forum banner

801 - 820 of 940 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #802
Ok so a refresh is required. The por15 has not done a good job. Whether product or application is open to debate, but it looks like the underside needs more treatment. Only 4 years and 2000 miles later, garaged and not used in winter!

While I***8217;m at it planning on new suspension, s tune is getting on a bit. Possibly ohlins?

Seems I have another project :)

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Ok so a refresh is required. The por15 has not done a good job. Whether product or application is open to debate, but it looks like the underside needs more treatment. Only 4 years and 2000 miles later, garaged and not used in winter!

While I’m at it planning on new suspension, s tune is getting on a bit. Possibly ohlins?

Do it once..... do it right....

Get it to Bob at Zealou5 :bowdown1:

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
I***8217;ve only ever heard good things about por15 and it is a product I am considering using so would be really interested to see if you arrive at a conclusion on why it hasn***8217;t worked for you.

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
If the underside has not been initially wire brushed down to remove rust particles from all corroded areas Toni until you get to solid metal, The Rust Treatment applied will just flake off with the loose underneath debris during normal road use....rendering said rust protection absolutely useless thanks to not removing all the detritus.

In the four years since, this rust inhibitor should have been repeated and reapplied at least once more every six months of the cars use to remain 100% effective. Its not a one time done forget about it deal because it requires regular repeated maintenance!

Time to get an abrasive wheel for your grinder, Acid etch primers/paints & sealants, a good compressor and an applicator gun like this below....

And after a few weekends of hard work your vehicles underneath will be as good as new once more.

HTH!:)

·
Registered
190 Posts

While I’m at it planning on new suspension, s tune is getting on a bit. Possibly ohlins?

The question is, when do you not have a project?

hmmmmm:squintdan

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Proof perhaps that rust always comes back... Por 15 is a hard paint that can also conceal rust as it keeps on eating away.

I'd have had everything sprayed with aircraft grade anti-corrosive, not just paint after grinding most of the (accessible) rust off.

·
Super Moderator
15,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #813 (Edited)
Yeah have photos, it’s really odd but rust has appeared on the POR15. It’s not serious but not pretty. Basically autotorque have it now. They plan to strip all of the POR15 off and restore the underside of the car completely to as new. Then I’ll be getting it regularly waxoyled. But from what I’ve seen POR15 simply doesn’t do the job.

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
Case in point.
That (pictured in your last post above) is all too common for us all Toni no amtter how well we keep Our vehicles. Nissan use such low grade steels on all their brackets and components (in fact all Japanese car manufacturers do) that you have to go all the way back to the bare metal, treat any rust, Acid etch prime and paint everything before refitting, sealing and finally rust proofing the entire undercarriage once more.

Its an absolute ball ache of a job to do everything and extremely time consuming also but its the only thing that we all have to do if we want Our Skyline's to be on the road for another two decades plus!

And anyone can do this resto work too but the only ones who'll ever see all the fruits of Our restoration labour are the odd Mechanic and MOT Testers....:shy:

·
Super Moderator
15,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #817
Depressingly even the stuff I had powder coated hasn***8217;t held up that well. Looks like a lot will need doing again.

·
Registered
300 Posts
For doing the underfloor, engine bay and all underfloor components right its easy to spend more then 350+ hours of labour.

Dismantling. Blasting. Priming. painting / powdercoating (avoid where you can). Assembling. Using seam sealer and spraying rubber on the underfloor.

I didnt work with POR15 so i dont know how hard it is to remove, but some additional hours may come removing it compared to a car that didnt have this treatment.

The firm will have to spend 1000GBP or more materials used and services outside for blasting, plating etc..

More or less you will know everything from the quote given and hours listed.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Do it right, do it once.....

As Bobby and the Z team are off limits now I would send the car to Denis in Croatia.

Speak to Mark @ MGT as he had his R33 LM 'done' - its superb!

Check out their web site and if Denis can send you a few links to previous projects - you will be amazed. Ask for the Triumph (TR2 I think) and a couple of old Porsches.....:smokin:

801 - 820 of 940 Posts