GTR Forum banner

861 - 880 of 951 Posts

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
I don't understand how that rust looks worse on your 2000 mile part than the ones on my 19yr old GTT? Has the car lived by the coast, or up in Scotland perhaps? Or is this a case of poor air circulation where its being parked causing moisture corrosion?

·
Premium Member
5,779 Posts
I don't understand how that rust looks worse on your 2000 mile part than the ones on my 19yr old GTT? Has the car lived by the coast, or up in Scotland perhaps? Or is this a case of poor air circulation where its being parked causing moisture corrosion?
I was thinking similar tbh

·
Super Moderator
15,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #863
No idea, car was garaged ever since the last refurb and has only done 2000 miles in 2 yrs. This time I will be protecting the Nismo parts.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
No idea, car was garaged ever since the last refurb and has only done 2000 miles in 2 yrs. This time I will be protecting the Nismo parts.
Just being in a garage wont prevent rust if the garage is wrong. You need a drafty garage with good air circulation or a proper insulated garage with a dehumidifier. A small sealed garage with condensation, or a damp garage when it rains will be no better than leaving the car parked outside if the moisture is trapped with the car.

(edit) my bad I didn't realise you bought the car back so probably dont know how it was stored.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
If that was the state of a protected, garaged & cherished (PG&C) car's arm I don't even want to imagine of a non PG&C arm!! :puke:

·
Super Moderator
15,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #866
Basically the Nismo parts have just a silver paint on, no protection at all. I***8217;m not impressed how they held up at all. But again it is only surface and not serious, not pretty that***8217;s all.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Basically the Nismo parts have just a silver paint on, no protection at all. I’m not impressed how they held up at all. But again it is only surface and not serious, not pretty that’s all.
Was thinking to get the entire catalogue fm Nismo in regards to the underbody but daymn that got me worried, is it really worth going that route? We have better weather conditions here in Cyprus which I assume plays a major role but still for 2k miles the arm condition progressed surprisingly fast!

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Was thinking to get the entire catalogue fm Nismo in regards to the underbody but daymn that got me worried, is it really worth going that route? We have better weather conditions here in Cyprus which I assume plays a major role but still for 2k miles the arm condition progressed surprisingly fast!
There definitely would have been more contributing factors such as storage conditions (humidity etc etc) for it to get in that state in just 2000 miles.

My underside has the full Nismo parts since 2016

Attachments

·
Registered
9,676 Posts
Bad luck Toni. Seems like your middle name should be Rust too just like Busters who always seem to have rust following him around.

·
Premium Member
2,927 Posts
During my ownership the car was stored in a dry de-humidified garage under a indoor cover. After two outings when it might have picked up salty deposits, the entire underneath was thoroughly cleaned as well as the bodywork. I fear that it was the original application that was inadequate and Toni realises it.

It is a good thing that Toni and I are the best of friends and this scenario has increased the friendship and trust between us.

Just being in a garage wont prevent rust if the garage is wrong. You need a drafty garage with good air circulation or a proper insulated garage with a dehumidifier. A small sealed garage with condensation, or a damp garage when it rains will be no better than leaving the car parked outside if the moisture is trapped with the car.

(edit) my bad I didn't realise you bought the car back so probably dont know how it was stored.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
So is this a bad batch from Nissan perhaps? Maybe drop them a message.

samgtr's pic above doesn't look to have underseal applied on top of the Nismo parts, it just seems like the OEM silver coating and doesn't look anywhere near as bad?

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
How many miles has Sam done though? His car lives in a bubble lol. I've only every seen him washing it on Insta, never seen it move ;) ;) ;)

Its been driven, not alot in the last year but in 2017 i used it few times but then i do get under it to clean.

But thats it, how a car is stored is important as in a brick no heated garage or outside you will get humidity moud and all sort on parts.

I drove in a bit of rain also when getting it from Abbey:eek:

·
Administrator
31,360 Posts
it is all a bit of a joke though. There's Zero rust on the suspension components on my Father in laws Qashqai so why isn't a Nismo part built to the same standard? Why isn't a powdercoated and treated part not the same or better.

It seems to be the message, you can treat rust but you can't resist it. Only way to do that is to stop using the car, which defeats the point of treating it in the first place.

·
Registered
916 Posts
A heated garage and a dehumidifier go along way to keeping the rust at bay, and not driving it in the rain, also I only clean mine when I have a show on, it's not good for it to be cleaned all the time.

·
Super Moderator
15,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #877
The original rust treatment simply hasn't held up - whether it was poor application or poor product is open to debate. But the Nismo suspension parts really amazed me, literally 2000 miles in 2 years from brand new. Let's face it, the car is going to be driven now and again so why should they be so flakey?

In no way do I want John blamed I know he stored the car well. This time, I am confident the car is getting rust-proofed on a whole different level. I will replace the Nismo parts with new I think, but this time protected.

·
Super Moderator
15,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #878
Glass blasting the underside, to totally remove all of the POR15 and surface rust. Really pleased with the result.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #880
Over the moon with the transformation occurring! Autotorque do this on a whole other level!

Attachments

861 - 880 of 951 Posts