·
Super Moderator
15,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #888
Yep a whole different level of quality!

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
What’s it costing, you can pm if you prefer.

·
Super Moderator
15,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #890
A lot. But worth it. I think the photos attached reflect what is hidden on some of these cars nowadays, and the level of restoration we are undertaking. This is a 55k UK car garaged since 2007 at least....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Had the same on my R33, minor rust from brace rubbing the paint away, take the tops off and they were the same as yours! :eek: Great work going on, looking forward to more pictures to make the rest of us jealous, lol. :p

·
Super Moderator
15,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #894
Grim isn***8217;t it, and so well hidden.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Just spent the last hour catching up on all of this, what a journey Toni!

I'm shocked at the state of the Nismo part though, I have Nismo suspension parts on my 32 and none of them show any signs of that kind of rust anywhere, thank God!

I've been surprised how my car has held up. Yes it doesn't get driven much, but I suppose the underground area I keep it in is very breezy and dry as I've never seen even condensation occurring during colder months.

Really do believe environment plays a big part in the whole battle against rust. I've also been using ACF50 in the meantime as well, which seems to work great.

I noticed AT had POR15 in the background of your steering rack image, do you know what their opinion is of POR15, assuming they do use it?
Would be interesting to know their experience of using it and if their opinions have changed, based on it being used on yours previously, as I was planning on using some POR15 products alongside Bilt Hamber.

If you don't mind me asking, what process and products are they using with your car now? Would be great to get a little more detail on the know how.

·
Super Moderator
15,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #896
There is no plan to use POR15 once my restoration is complete, it simply didn***8217;t hold up before. I***8217;m going to be trying waxoyl which has been great on my MR2.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
My uncle bought a Saab 900 shell from Sweden over 30 yrs ago, and did a full parts swap from a donor car.

He still has the car, we used Tetroseal on the underside and he now uses Hammerite underbody sealant with added Waxoyl. Waxoyl everywhere else and all cavities.

He re-applies Waxoyl every year in the cavities and in over 30yrs he's never had any rust.

Personally I think Waxoyl is one of the best products out there, I used the Hammerite sealant and Waxoyl on my Skyline 10yrs ago when I bought her and re-apply every few yrs and I've never had any rust either.

·
Super Moderator
15,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #898
MR2s have a terrible reputation for rust, I***8217;ve never had any on mine which I imported in 2001. Have had it waxoyled on and off, so I will be doing this on the GTR now.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
the dreaded rust , just imagine what its like trying to find a 50 year old Hakosuka GTR in good condition and you can see why thy are so rare and expensive

·
Registered
1 Posts
is Dinitrol any good for the underbody?

I've always protected my beloved GTR every few years with waxoyl via applying with my compressor and gun. However I was recently speaking to a fellow GTR owner earlier this year who said Dinitrol is the best. I've just found some Dinitrol 4941 underbody underseal schutz cans online via a site called tiltrak.com that reasonably priced.

Does anyone have experience with this product? Does it last a few years protecting the underbody.

881 - 900 of 984 Posts