GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've spoke to Nissan UK today about an issue with my audio. They've checked my VIN number and told me my car wasn't covered by the 5yr extended audio warranty. Be want on to explain that only certain VIN numbers were effected by the audio issues, so only certain cars were graced with an extended warranty.

I actually feel sick. I've only had the car 6 weeks or so. From what I've read, the nav units are around the 5k mark, which I just don't have.
SO, I guess I'm in the shizzle a bit here.

John

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I'd be pressing harder for something out of Nissan, clearly yours 'DOES' have an issue if it's broken so for them to suggest yours wasn't effected with the audio issue is rubbish.

What is it your audio unit actually does that is the fault? ie. doesn't turn on, no sound, etc, etc

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
As above...
- Ask for the criteria they're judging you by
- Ask for the details of why they're not covering you
- State that it IS an MFD defect and as such you want them to reconsider
- Bring to local NHPC for verification

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Basically, obout a week ago it began playing up.
When I turn off the car the screen goes off as normal but sound continues to play through the speakers for about 5-10secs. This I can deal with. But since this has happened the battery keeps going flat over night. I've pulled the audio fuses and left it over night as it doesn't lose and charge. So by the looks of it, somewhere in the audio it's pulling current even with the car turned off.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Hey mate,

My unit was replaced when my speakers kept making a crackling sound from the passenger front and then the passenger rear and drivers rear... I took it in to Nissan Slough and the unit was replaced under warranty... however the issue was still there. I think Nissan understood there were issues with the MFD and audio unit but i think a lot of other components in the audio 'train' were faulty too. I would not be surprised if you have an issue with the amp like i did... In the end it was cheaper for me to get Jay @ Sextons to put in a new amp with a Bit-ten audio controller and also new speakers, and my sound is now improved too.

I would press Nissan hard as the people above mentioned, but also make sure they do a proper diagnostic check on the system as it may not be your audio unit but the BOSE amps that are causing the problem.

Good luck. I hope they come back to you with something more helpful than just a plain 'it's not covered'.

H

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for everyone's input, I really appreciate it.
I'm currently doing a little self diagnosis with wiring and fuses etc.
So far here is what I've found.
I assume the audio system has 2 amplifiers as there is a fuse for each.
The main audio fuse is in the small engine bay fuse box labeled audio. This is the main power fuse for MFD and climate control
Audio mirror fuse seems to be the secondary fuse for the MFD and climate control. Both need to be plugged in for the screen to light up and the climate control to work.
I've also found that the engine itself must pull a lot of power (cold cranking amps) to turn the car over and fire. At 11.2v it won't turn the engine.
So what I've done is:-
Plugged the 2 audio fuses in and left the amp fuses out, this should in theory confirm wether is an amplifier issue or an MFD, that's the problem.

·
Registered
413 Posts
My nav system had a fault and I was also told that my car wasn't covered by the 5 year warranty, but because the fault was the same as the one that they had experienced with the problematic units my dealer arranged a goodwill replacement from Nissan FOC.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I've spoke to Nissan UK today about an issue with my audio. They've checked my VIN number and told me my car wasn't covered by the 5yr extended audio warranty. Be want on to explain that only certain VIN numbers were effected by the audio issues, so only certain cars were graced with an extended warranty.

I actually feel sick. I've only had the car 6 weeks or so. From what I've read, the nav units are around the 5k mark, which I just don't have.
SO, I guess I'm in the shizzle a bit here.

John
John

DO NOT take no for an answer, kick up a shit storm of almighty proportions and make them change it. It's obviously a fault on all the earlier cars and seems like it's not cured.

Just keep going higher up the tree and talk to Nurbergring GTR (or something similar!!) on here. He may be able to help.

If all else fails I have seen repairs for these units at £2000 on the web. But no way in hell would I pay it.

Units from damaged cars must be available, talk to all the traders on here, Litchfield, JM etc, but only if a shit storm doesn't work.

Good luck and keep us all up to date.

Satan

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think because my situation is slightly different, that's going to be the hard part. If it just stopped working like most others then I'd have some bargaining rights but it just seems to stay on for 5 seconds or so, which I can deal with but not the battery keep going flat.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A good friend if mine, owns a company called Basemechanix has offered to diagnose the problem for me. He's a bit of a genius with audio and electronics. I'm piping down there tomorrow. It's a world better than Nissan wanting £120 plus VAT to diagnose.

I'll keep you all posted.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Iv had some issues with the fan controls and audio volume going up and down on its own and climate info popping up on its own without touching the fan speed . Nothing more than that at the moment. Iv been to Nissan and it is covered on mine. (My09 non nav) But they said there very strict on it being serviced every 6 months as it's an expensive part. I was reminded that the warranty is purely a good will extention !

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Iv had some issues with the fan controls and audio volume going up and down on its own and climate info popping up on its own without touching the fan speed . Nothing more than that at the moment. Iv been to Nissan and it is covered on mine. (My09 non nav) But they said there very strict on it being serviced every 6 months as it's an expensive part. I was reminded that the warranty is purely a good will extention !
Mine is a sat nav unit and by the sounds of things, there NOT covered.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Is that 6 monthly servicing with them or would an independent be acceptable?

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
The law's very clear about NOT needing Nissan to have done the servicing

·
Registered
785 Posts
I believe an independant is ok but my problem may be that I went to yearly after 3 years old. I'll decide what to do in a month or so. Trouble is it's hard to catch it doing anything wrong for days so proving it might be an issue. I'd rather it just pack up to be honest.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts