GTR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I think this topic has been discussed before but I was curious to know whether anyone has one on their car that is permanently wired in and how does it perform. I am tempted to get one of these and put it on the back shelf and have it permanently connected to the battery so that when I park the car all week and dont use it I dont worry about a flat battery when I come to use it.

Thoughts?

Visua Solar Powered Battery Charger. Ideal for Cars, Caravans and Boats (7 Watt): Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

H

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeh, thought about an Optima, its not the battery Will, rather that during winter I tend to get in the car, and run everything straight away, heated seats, stereo system (running a much larger amp with the subs), lights etc. so over time both the optima and a normal battery would struggle from just not getting enough charging from running the car. This was just a thought. Not very obtrusive and yet all that piece of mind... you know how us GTR owners love piece of mind :p

·
Registered
212 Posts
Met a chap at one of the meets who had done this, not with a R35 though. Thought it was a great idea for keeping the battery topped up

·
Registered
9,091 Posts
GTRs don't.

I'd've really surprised if even a panel the size of the roof provided a useful amount of current to have any effect.

Haroon, is be really surprised if your level if current draw was enough that the alternator did t have enough left over for a decent charge. Your bug amp would need to sit at max output too to be consuming its full rating. Can't imagine you're the type who'd sit stationary doing that.

What kind of amp are we talking anyway?

·
Registered
121 Posts
The panel generates 6 Amps in bright sun.

A trickle charger works on 1 Amp.

Even a cloudy day will trickle charge the battery.

When I used to leave the Galaxy it would go flat. The solar charger has stopped it.

If the Cig Lighter isn't live you've need to use the clips direct to battery.

You could use a CTEK charger if you have a power supply near the car ...

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/207018-trickle-charger-3.html

·
Administrator
31,749 Posts
I had one on my R33 and it worked. Would last 4 weeks with it on, 2 weeks without.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well my amp is the same as yours Adam, Hertz HDP4 which i run my subs (running the dual 8's) and my fronts off, so its drawing a fair bit of current. Add to that your normal winter elect (heated seats, lights etc.) and you have a decent amount of current draw. Yes when I drive the battery is being charged but my concern is that it's not being charged all that much over the short runs I am doing (footy and back on a monday is around 3 miles one way), so I just thought this way I would be less concerned about coming out on an especially cold day and finding the car finds it difficult to turn over. I suspect that these panels can be of some help, even if only a little.

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
This could be a solution but use it at your own risk!

- Solar charger placed on rear parcel shelf.
- Run cabling to driver's footwell.
- Use add-a-fuse in the fuse slot for the interior lights (constant 12v regardless of IGN position) which is behind the kick panel in the driver's footwell

Theoretically it should behave just as if you have plugged it into the cigar lighter but I cannot guarantee the "safety" of doing this to push charge back to the battery. However given the low current supplied by the solar panel, I'd not be too worried myself.

Obviously if you blow up your car, I wasnt here........:flame:

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I bought one of these for the Scoob, so far so good. Only generates 2.4W but that more than covers tracker power consumption. It plugs in to ODB port, not sure if GTR has one?

AA Solar Panel Car & Caravan Battery Charger

Anders

·
Registered
121 Posts
6 amps? Don't believe it.

If it worked better than a trickle charger surely the car would last indefinitely between uses?
Well, the spec says that it generates 6 Amps. :confused:

Ring RSP600 Solar Power Battery Maintainer: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

Of course that is in perfect bright sunlight.

Given that 12 hours plus per day are dark and that during the day full sunlight is very intermittant it would never be as good as a proper mains charger. Also the CTEK chargers cycle to recondition the battery.

All I can say is that I have one of these solar chargers on my Galaxy and it's stopped flat battery issues.

·
Registered
754 Posts
343mA max. which might just be enough for a trickle charge. Two would do it!

Protegimus

·
Registered
121 Posts
6 watts mate. That's about 0.5 amps
Oh yeah!! :eek:

It is made by Ring and they say

"12 volt, 6.0 Watt (Max) solar powered battery maintainer for car and leisure batteries. Suitable for battery size up to 250Ah."

It works ok for me! That's all I can say. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts