GTR Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think about these.
I've heard good and bad about these. Just wanted a broarder opinion from you guys really.

Cheers
John

·
Premium Member
3,523 Posts
I was told it was worthwhile to get the solenoid clips fitted but not bother with the stoppers, and that was from one one of the top GTR independants.

·
Premium Member
5,887 Posts
well when i got stage 4, i got circlips/stoppers/piston clips done at the same time, more for the circlips as i plan to track, and for more overall peace of mind, over the gearbox shitting itself. aka a just in case really. prevention better than cure and all that.

·
Vendor
480 Posts
If you look at this pic, the fragments stuck up on the magnetic area of the shift piston are the gearstops knocked off the back of the gear by over travelling the selector sleeve. Seen very regularly to various extents at around the 25,000-30,000 mile mark. I would recommend them.
Auto part Engine Automotive engine part

And you can also see the 'shiny' areas of the peg in the centre of the piston showing the wear which allows the piston to rotate and lose the sensor pickup, hence the piston clips are needed at similar mileage upwards.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was put off a little. I spoke to Sly from Kaizer motors and he said they don't fit them as they do more harm than good to the transmission.

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
I was put off a little. I spoke to Sly from Kaizer motors and he said they don't fit them as they do more harm than good to the transmission.

I have never heard that before.

WHat are we actually talking about here? Solenoid cog stoppers? Is this solenoid caps (prevent swarf build up messing with the solenoid sensors) or cog stoppers (stopping over travel of the selection forks)?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have never heard that before.

WHat are we actually talking about here? Solenoid cog stoppers? Is this solenoid caps (prevent swarf build up messing with the solenoid sensors) or cog stoppers (stopping over travel of the selection forks)?
Gear stoppers. Nylon discs that fit on the ends of the solenoids. There are 8 in total.

·
Registered
743 Posts
stoppers

i have had these fitted on suggestion by mdlhst ,about 1thou mls ago,my box will now only select 1/3/5 and reverse in limp mode with engine light on and trans light flashing and readout saying malfunction return to dealer , waiting to go back to mdhst.......

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
My 2009 car had a new box fitted in september 2011 would this later box have all the updates so you would not need the piston clips or stoppers ?

·
Registered
888 Posts
i have had these fitted on suggestion by mdlhst ,about 1thou mls ago,my box will now only select 1/3/5 and reverse in limp mode with engine light on and trans light flashing and readout saying malfunction return to dealer , waiting to go back to mdhst.......
Who did the work mate?

I'm just going to go for circlips, uprated magnets, full sump off clean & Litchfield bell housing in the spring.
This will be on MY10 60 plate, with spirited use & Euro runs. No track use!

·
Registered
743 Posts
m 16

yer it did com from there orig the guy i bought off had a warranty so i had 10months ,this finished october ,i was thinking of continuing it but didn't get round to it ,i just take it there as i like there attitude and John is a top bloke and always try to help no matter what,i don't think you can beat being happy with a tuner.....

·
Registered
924 Posts
yer it did com from there orig the guy i bought off had a warranty so i had 10months ,this finished october ,i was thinking of continuing it but didn't get round to it ,i just take it there as i like there attitude and John is a top bloke and always try to help no matter what,i don't think you can beat being happy with a tuner.....
With this problem though, I really think you would be better off with one of the Indies, Sly at Kaizer and Litchfields to name just 2, both have a huge wealth of knowledge with this type of fault and are used to sorting these issues without having to try and get information from Nissan.

When mine plays up, as I'm sure it will one day, Litchfields will be my port of call for sure.

No disrespect to Middlehurst's as they are about the best NHPC, but I think the real in depth gearbox knowledge lies elsewhere.

JHMO of course

Satan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts