GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey people.
Im needing a little help.

As some of you know im selling m R34 GTT, its been up for a while,but last night I was emailed by a chap in luxembourg.

After a few emails describing the car etc he wants to buy it, but has asked for copies of my log book, MOT and passport, I havnt sent anything as Im not crazy enough to just hand them out.

So for a piece of mind I asked for a paypal deposit before I send anything, but he dosnt want to send it as he wont be comming to "view" the car, but only to collect it and will pay cash on collection.

So I checked out this site
Importing your own car / Driving / Daily life / Home - Euraxess

and it does say that the importer will need copies of the private sellers passport and documents.

I havnt sent anything yet as im still a bit cautious, but I also do want to sell my car.

what are your thoughts? any one had any experience with this?

Thanks
Baz

·
Registered
26,782 Posts
we have never supplied passport details fora car going out of the UK

even when i sold my car to sweden

check DVLA

·
R35 Section manager
11,259 Posts
Sounds very risky.
There have been plenty of cars sold to abroad on here, so I am sure someone will confirm this.

On any sale you would want a deposit-although I am not sure paypal would be the best way either.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only reason I say pay pal, as it has to be properly registered, so I would have is real and full name, address etc.

also I can transfer it to my account, so really there isnt a difference between this and a cheque.

what other way do you rekon then?

·
R35 Section manager
11,259 Posts
True but if he complained to paypal for any reason, paypal can refund him back or hold the payment.
A bank transfer would be better as only the account holder can control funding?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fair point, do thos rules still apply if the money is sent as "a gift" through paypal?

I will ring the DVLA and see what they say as regards to copies of documents, all though im not holding my breath as to getting some one half help full!

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Tell him to just come and view and if he likes it then he can drive it home after he pays you ;)
Thats what I do when I go over to the UK to get a car :thumbsup:

·
Registered
206 Posts
No definitive idea why he wants them details, but it could be peace of mind on his part.
Last thing he would want to do is buy a stolen car. Name on passport and V5 would tally up and prove you own the car.

If he's paying cash on collection I don't know why you need a deposit. It's no different to someone from the UK knocking at your door with cash in hand.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Sold my E30 M3 to a german dealer.

He paid £500 deposit via paypal, then the rest on collection. Didn't send him any personal details beforehand.

Cheers,

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MartyV the only reason I asked for a deposit is to get some clarification as to weather he is a genuine buyer, as if he is the he shouldnt have a problem with it.

I member has had a good idea on the skylineowners forum, he said scan v5 and mot but photoshop specimen in red across the document so it cant be copied, I think its a really good idea!

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts
Deposit sounds reasonable to me. Would give the buyer peace of mind that you won't flog the car elsewhere after he's bought plane tickets etc. Would be a real bugger you him if you flogged it to someone else the day before he was due to arrive.

·
Registered
206 Posts
MartyV the only reason I asked for a deposit is to get some clarification as to weather he is a genuine buyer, as if he is the he shouldnt have a problem with it.
If he turns up at your house with the money in his hand, is that not serious enough?
If I phoned you up tomorrow regarding the car, would you ask for a deposit from me to check if I'm genuine? Either way you wouldn't be getting one. That's the other POV you're missing... He doesn't know you any better than you know him, so asking for money before he's even seen the car is unreasonable IMO
Sold as seen and all that...

·
Registered
103 Posts
I sold my previous skyline to Sweden and my brother`s went to Denmark both times we have not been asked to provide Id so you are right to be cautious.
With my car he never came to view it,sent me paypal deposit to secure the car then got a friend in the uk to take it to the docks for him after full funds had cleared.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If he turns up at your house with the money in his hand, is that not serious enough?
If I phoned you up tomorrow regarding the car, would you ask for a deposit from me to check if I'm genuine? Either way you wouldn't be getting one. That's the other POV you're missing... He doesn't know you any better than you know him, so asking for money before he's even seen the car is unreasonable IMO
Sold as seen and all that...
sorry i forgot to add he isnt comming to my house, if he was then yes your correct, but he wants me to meet him at london city airport, so if I travel there and he is a no show then its a waste of money on fuel.

·
Registered
656 Posts
This smells to me,,,dont like it, i would want to view car before purchase an defo not bye from side of road, why he not coming to house !

·
R35 Section manager
11,259 Posts
Fair point, do thos rules still apply if the money is sent as "a gift" through paypal?

I will ring the DVLA and see what they say as regards to copies of documents, all though im not holding my breath as to getting some one half help full!

I suspect the mpney could still be with held.
I would meet him at the airport if its local to you? If not get him to jump on the train to your nearest station

·
Registered
461 Posts
what about asking him a copy of the flight ticket + id to make sure this is not a fake ?
I think he might asked copies of the documents to see how the car has been serviced. IMHO there is no risk to give him copies of the data log documents.
He also takes "a risk" to flight UK to buy a car.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts