GTR Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
firstly let me say i've had a bit of a dig around, but with the mixed results i've found i thought it best to ask :) sorry if i'm seemingly unneccessarily covering old ground, but i figure it's best to get some peace of mind when looking after these cars :)

so basically the car's due an oil change, and i figure it won't hurt to get a few other bits and bobs done as it's likely to be going on track for the first time soon. certainly wont be a regular track beast though, just until i get my track car built.

i'm likely to be going for silkolene oil, can someone recommend the grade i should be looking at for the 33 GTR running "stage 1" mods and 1 bar of boost.
was thinking pro R 15w50, sound like a good choice (simon oilman where are you mate :D )

gear oil - going to give the gearbox oil a change as it's crunching EVER SO SLIGHTLY at high rev changes into 5th, and occasionally 4th, which i'm under the impression could get worse over time, not looking to brush it under the carpet so to speak, just to get rid of it or lessen it for the trackday as i don't want to mash the box.
redline shockproof has been banded about recently, is this stuff any good or is it just masking the problem, would i be better of with silkolene silktran (sp?)

brake fluid - what do you guys use? thinking of changing to castrol 5.1 silicone, would this have any disadvantages as i've only really heard positive comments other than with regard to its price. or should i just stick to a good dot 4 or something similar?

spark plugs - again, after some closure on which spark plugs i should go for, platinum copper or iridium, denso or ngk, what plug gap etc :) and disadvantages to running any of these, or major advantages, i change plugs very regularly normally so they won't get a huge life.

clutch - clutch isn't the healthiest in the world, and will need a change. as per my mods, 1 bar of boost, stage 1 ecu, quite a whack of power and torque.
don't want a twin plate just yet, but will be needing one in the near future, for now i'm just looking for a hard as nails organic kit, or a paddle if there's a suitable easy to use for daily driving 6 puck paddle clutch kit available. any recommendations ?

and can someone tell me where to get a filter from? and how much are the filter relocation kits (roughly) and how worthwhile are they?

sorry for the questions, but i'm a proper tart when it comes to looking after the car, and really would prefer peace of mind before i start doing maintenance, just for longevity of the car :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
A 15w50 oil sounds about right. I use a 10w60 Castrol TypeR synthetic.

Redline Shockproof is fantastic, id use the light weight (blue) for a daily driver and the heavy weight (red) for a track based car, as the thicker red oil isnt to friendly until it warms up.

If you change plugs regularly than id go with a nice simple set of NGK plugs. BK7's or 8's. Im not a fan of platinum and irridium

Brake fluid, a good Dot4 will be ok, after a hard track day you'd be best to change the brake fluid anyway, so it get expensive. Also the more performance based the brake fluid (the higher the boiling point) the more its prone to absorbing moisture over a shorter period of time out on the road, so expect to change more frequently.

Clutch i cant help, i run a Twin plate OS Giken and love it. I used to have a Ceramic Button clutch in my previous car and hated it.

If you like to do the basic maintainance on your car (like me) then an oil filter relocation kit is feckn great at making it easier. It also adds a bit more oil volume to your car ( not as much as a cooler though).

Hope that helps a bit.

Cheers Matt

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers for the pointers mate.

sorry it's taken me so long to get back to this thread, had my work cut out with both cars needing some attention.

As it happens i've just flung a set of NGK's in as one of my plugs gave up the ghost after a spirited run to the dark side of 5th. good to know they'll be ok in there.
Cheers for the tips on the shockproof, i was a bit dubious of it at first but the more folk i speak to the higher i find people rate it on average. shall get some ordered up asap.

Really fancy a twin plate, as i've got some nice mods lined up for her once my 200sx is finished swallowing up vast sums of money, but 1500 quid is a lot to lay out for me at the minute thanks to the sx. i'll see how long i can get out of the clutch that's in there at the minute and put the pennies aside for the twin plater i think.
had my eye on a filter relocation kit for quite some time now, and a cooler as well lol. i'm guessing the most sensible option would be to get a sandwich plate with a take off for the cooler, then have the relocation kit fitted to the sandwich plate in plate of the std filter? or do most filter relocation kits already have the oil cooler take off's?
more oil capacity can't be a bad thing really, every little helps i suppose. definately going to invest in a cooler soon though, in the summer sun i'm finding its very easy to get the oil temperature quite a bit over 100 degrees C, which is too hot for my liking.

cheers for the help mate!
Stu.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts