GTR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
been to look at a fresh import gts-t today. It is a 1996 with 50,000 miles on the clock.Bodywork looks nice and straight, engine sounds smooth and no smoke. Induction kit fitted,dump valve and what appears to be a full stainless exhaust system but with a smaller dia pipe inside the back box.
According to the sales guy this gives you the performance but without the noise:rolleyes:
On startup and during running you can hear a buzzing noise which he says is from the fuel pump in the back and is quite normal. Is he right?
Wheels are a bit tatty and there is evidence of a bit of rust in the spare wheel well ,but not too bad. There is no history with the car so should I worry about clutch ,timing belt etc, He says it has a timing chain, is that right? Going to drive it tomorrow to see if performs o.k.
Sorry for the long post but this is a big step for me as I have never owned a
Skyline before and I am wondering if my money would be better spent on this forum as most cars on here and other sites seem to be well known.
Thanks for your help
cheers:cool:

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Belt driven cams, Dont worry about the clutch untill you notice it start to slip (dont leave it long after this though)

Fuel pump should be quiet but it does kindof buzz (I only notice mine when the seat is out) guess I got used to it but my exhaust may also be masking the noise a bit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheers for that mate:cool: I am going to drive it today but my instincts(limited knowledge) are telling me to pass on this one.No history bothers me and I think I would feel more confident buying a known car of a genuine enthusiast. I will let you know how I get on.
cheers:thumbsup:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just got back from my test drive:( noise from the pump was getting on my nerves.The first thing the sails guy did was switch"the boost control thingy off cos it uses too much petrol"He did not know what boost it was running at.
It did seem to drive well but i suppose most do if you have never driven one before(god I want one)The sales guy would not shut up during the entire
road test but none of it was skyline talk.
I guess if you are not sure it is best to walk away. They did not fill me with confidence so I ain't buying it:bawling:
cheers

1 - 4 of 4 Posts