GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see alot of high end race cars being built around this forum so thought id add something interesting that im building down under.
Basicly we have a category here called sports sedans, where rules are very free and the cars are mainly running full tube chassis with custom everything. We call them space frame chassis not sure if you guys do as well.

So I started with a basic R32 GTS-t shell

It got cut up and I was left with two bits an upper and a lower.
I kept the upper part obviously

I begun building a full tube chassis (yes Ive done it before)

The cage etc is all but done now and as of today this is what it looks like

The engine I have will be mounted in the passengers side in a calculated position, all the suspension will be one off custom molly arms and so forth. I have a set of sach shocks from a local V8 supercar and brakes from a 997 porsche cup car.
Full 6 stage dry sump set-up and a seq hollinger transmission is sitting here ready to go into the chassis.

If people are interested Ill put up more photos and details if exactly what we're doing with the car as it develops.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
I'm totally up for seeing how this progresses; nice work so far. :D

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Sweet! Keep the photos coming!

·
Registered
9,654 Posts
I love different, can't wait to see more :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
more pics please.
GeorgeGTR on here was doing something similar for TimeAttack but it never seemed to get finished:chairshot

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks guys im glad to hear there is interest in it.

The white one in the background is actually my current race car. Ill put up a few photos of it but basicly its an 800Hp RB26 running a full 6 stage dry sump and every good driveline/suspension part you can think of. Tilton pedal box porsche brakes etc etc.

I built it about 12 months ago from the ground up and its been successful in everything its done so far.

The new car will use the same Dry sump system and running gear as the white car. Suspension will all be custom obviously as is the entire chassis and body work. Ive got air jacks and all the other nice little things to go with it as well

This is the white car you can see in the back ground

Ill take a few more good photos of the space frame car tomorrow

·
Registered
485 Posts
Holy goodness.....Now thats what im taking about...:bowdown1::bowdown1:

There have been a couple of big projects like this started before on the forum, but non have been completed.....AS YET anyway, so i would love to see this one complet & do what its ment to....

Awsome job so far & i wish you the very best of luck....

Im signed up for sure....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do see alot of projects like this disapear due to funds or lack of talent and skill required to finish it etc.

This one will be finished and in good time as well. Im planning to have it done by the early months of 2010. The body work will be the part that takes the longest.

Suspension is sorted and geometry is all done, small things like the diff height and so forth are still up in the air untill the engine is mounted and positioned.

Unfortunantly the local rules prohibt these types of cars running AWD. so its got to be a RWD chassis but wont be a problem.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hey risking welcome to gtr.co.uk. The white car looks nutts, did you ever do a build thread for that car as i'm starting my own r32 gtr build in a few weeks and could use some good references. Good to see some build threads of aussie cars ;)

·
Registered
834 Posts
My god... spaceframe R32. I cant think of much cooler than that!

Definately keep us all updated!

·
Registered
444 Posts
this looks so cool i cant wait to see it finished keep up the hard work and please loads of pictures and explinations and just out of question how much weight do you lose by doing some think like this?

i dont ask for much do i :)

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Loving the White Car Too!

Can we get some more pics of it as well, and spec's etc.....And some more pics on the track.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The white GTR was built about a year ago now and won almost everything its competed in.
I have loads or build photos of it from a bare shell to the finished car.
Ill put up some photos of it all tonight if you want to see it.

Spec wise ill copy and paste something latter about the car. Its fairly serious in every aspect. We went to town with the running gear which is what makes it so good to drive.

The white car weighs in at 1270Kg with a no driver but full fluids so its fairly light by GTR standards
The new car has been calculated to weigh in around the 980Kg mark but there is a minimum weight for the category which is 1100Kg's
So ill be adding weight to the car, but I do plan to use it at the lightest possible weight just to see how quick it'll go.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts