1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
6,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sorry . .I am off for the lavatory . .:bowdown1:

·
Super Moderator
16,098 Posts
Are those wheels film coated or actual CF?

·
6,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are those wheels film coated or actual CF?
It`s called Thermo carbon coating here in japan. It`s the new carbon coating technology (Robson leather interior carbon coating application is the old and expensive one) . . where you can cover bigger surfaces, cheaper and apparently without destroying the initial paint, material under the coating! (thought I don`t know how you can probably remove that carbon coating from that wheel after . . .:rolleyes:

I think coating and film wrapping is the future, as these techniques get cheaper and more divers with the years.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Wheels look stunning. Great option if you've rattled your wheel off a curb and need refurbishment.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Nice!! Now let's just wait for them wheel giants like RAYS, BBS, SSR etc. to fo something like this! Love the Red Black carbon combination!

·
Premium Member
8,835 Posts
Aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Stop it Stop it Stop it Stop it

I soooooooooooooooooooo want those red "Carbon" wheels

Stop it Stop it Stop it Stop it

·
Premium Member
6,280 Posts
very poor IMHO if it is not real I am not interested....

·
Through the Night
4,267 Posts
Seen some real nice carbon wheels at GTC that were the real deal ,those carbon wings look bleak and cheap .Carbon bonnets and rear wings are one thing but panels like doors and front wings just look shit.

·
6,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bit chav.
Maybe not your taste , but certainly not chav .. considering the price tag of these coatings.

Full carbon wheels are just utopic boyracer dreams or ultra rich boys toys. . . . they don`t make any sense as for the price/value/efficency they will let look every other part on your car as retarded . . . so if you own an Enzo or Zonda . . they make sense!

Carbon coated wheels have tree advantages:
1) Remove the color from you initial wheel by sanding and coat the wheel in carbon. There will be no weight increase compared to the initial weight of the paint.
2) Rigidity of your wheel will increase dramaticly.
3) Looks stunning and repaires are very easy to do and cheaper then a full wheel refurb.

There is also a big missunderstanding by many car owners that Carbon=weight saving in first place! . .especially on this forum. It is true that you carbon bonnet, bumper and fenders will remove a big amount of weight in the front and enhance handling and break capabilities of your GTR drasticly. . . . but most of all you get body parts that have far superior rigidity then your FRP or alu bumpers.

Carbon Coating is about rigidity in first place. And you get great looks with this coating as well . . . . just try and coat your door frame (door steps, B-pillar, door attachement, A-pillar and roof section) in carbon and you will quick feel the difference in the handling of the car . . . without the needs to weld your chassis or increase your weight dramaticly.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I typically hate the whole overly hyped CF subculture but this... these look excellent. If done in good taste, with heed to restraint of use, it looks killer. I love the blue CF wheel and the CF front clip. Looks awesome.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Maybe not your taste , but certainly not chav .. considering the price tag of these coatings.

Full carbon wheels are just utopic boyracer dreams or ultra rich boys toys. . . . they don`t make any sense as for the price/value/efficency they will let look every other part on your car as retarded . . . so if you own an Enzo or Zonda . . they make sense!

1) Remove the color from you initial wheel by sanding and coat the wheel in carbon. There will be no weight increase compared to the initial weight of the paint.
3) Looks stunning and repaires are very easy to do and cheaper then a full wheel refurb.

There is also a big missunderstanding by many car owners that Carbon=weight saving in first place! . .especially on this forum. It is true that you carbon bonnet, bumper and fenders will remove a big amount of weight in the front and enhance handling and break capabilities of your GTR drasticly. . . . but most of all you get body parts that have far superior rigidity then your FRP or alu bumpers.

Carbon Coating is about rigidity in first place. And you get great looks with this coating as well . . . . just try and coat your door frame (door steps, B-pillar, door attachement, A-pillar and roof section) in carbon and you will quick feel the difference in the handling of the car . . . without the needs to weld your chassis or increase your weight dramaticly.
good info and good points to think about

·
Registered
3,574 Posts

Carbon coating makes a alloywheel more rigid?? Right,maybe a weak one,but not a stiff racingwheel.....so not the ones used on sportscars when going fast around corners....

How is the coating done?? How is it made??

About the doorframe etc stuff.....so if i would coat my doorsteps etc with that....it would make the car stiffer??? Come on,carbon just gets stiff if it is made in a autoklav oven....can´t put a car in a autoklav....and even if so,it would just be as hard as the coating sticks to the surface of the paint.....(if you don´t put it on the rough metal....which then will rust away......)

It all sounds like good merchandising....it looks good,but thats all from my point of view:chuckle:

·
Premium Member
8,835 Posts
There is also a big missunderstanding by many car owners that Carbon=weight saving in first place! . .especially on this forum. It is true that you carbon bonnet said:
Hear hear !!!!! About time !!! I totaly agree with you on that !!

Oh btw how much for the treatment to the wheels and can it be done over here (UK) ?

Steve

·
6,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Carbon coating makes a alloywheel more rigid?? Right,maybe a weak one,but not a stiff racingwheel.....so not the ones used on sportscars when going fast around corners....

How is the coating done?? How is it made??

About the doorframe etc stuff.....so if i would coat my doorsteps etc with that....it would make the car stiffer??? Come on,carbon just gets stiff if it is made in a autoklav oven....can´t put a car in a autoklav....and even if so,it would just be as hard as the coating sticks to the surface of the paint.....(if you don´t put it on the rough metal....which then will rust away......)

It all sounds like good merchandising....it looks good,but thats all from my point of view:chuckle:
Good points.

You are right with high level track use , speaking wheel carbon coating is just for looks. But not many peeps use their car on tracks anyway (not only speaking about GTRs). This coating is something I am interested in for cosmetic and durable quality matters in first place, where rigidity of material plays a big role. I will visit the carbon maker on monday and make a post then what they offer.

For the door frame thing, of course it can`t just be done the way I posted it, basicly you need a monocoque cage inside the car, which will be assembled out of few as possible pieces inside the car (interior out). That`s
the way Mugen did it with the Type-RR monocoque concept car. The sections where the monocoque carbon parts are attached have high precision bolts which are embedded in the carbon body and welded on the chassis the other side. . . .will see if I can find a pic of that.

Also you are right about heat, but I was specificly thinking about parts on the avarage man`s car (not a supercar or R35) that can certainly gain rigidity if coated with dry carbon . . .

This is about reenforcing the durability and impact rigidity of certain parts you not want to see damaged or degrade over time.
If you love your R35 GTR wheels (thought not as exclusive as say Ferrari wheels) and maybe have the money, you can make your wheel stronger with this coating. the maker of this carbon coating says that rigidity of the coat material is 50% higher then the normal GTR wheels. . . . meaning that you need to impact them much harder to get a dent or a crack. Even if it gets a dent after all, you have big chances the initial wheel stays intact and the carbon coat can be repaired quick and cheap . . . .

have to check out everything . . . as all I have heared is apparently . . lol:eek::chuckle:

·
Premium Member
6,280 Posts
I'd put a pound to a penny the wheels are done in a vinyl wrap, adds nothing but a cosmetic finish.

as for carbon coating adding rigidity to a panel - please...........

1 - 20 of 26 Posts