GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Very cool. Excuse my complete ignorance, but what's the gold quaife box do?

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It has 2 positions, straight through or reverse
The Hayabusa engine has no reverse so the quaife box is for that.
I thought long and hard about all sorts of other options ,including electric etc, but the problem with electric reverse in a rally car is that you cant jolt the car if you need to if you get it stuck in a drain or similar.
I did consider altering a conventional 4 speed gearbox or making my own reverse box, but all options lead back to the quaife...dammit ....and it was quite expensive.

When its up and going i will build something like this for it,
should get a better power to weight than my GTR

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Aaah, now when I look at the engine it's obviously a motorbike unit (with, obviously, no reverse)! Cheers for clearing that up. :D

Will be a monster if turbo'd :eek: - what do you think the whole thing will weigh?

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
ah, so that's one way to solve the no-reverse problem. Didn't know such a box existed, and I've been thinking of dropping a Busa engine in some fairly unlikely cars.

Stage 1 turbo gives you 250bhp with stock fuel system, and considering the weight, and if you were to stick it in, say, a kei-car, you've got a rocket on your hands.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Toby, If I built this from scratch again ( I did originally but made an A15 for it) I would have put the engine behind the driver, like the zcar mini setup.
I think the td05 is a good entry level hairdryer and easy to get hold of.
I mate of mine holds all sorts of records with his hayabusa (just came back from setting a land speed record in his class at bonneville) He has a shed full of go fast bits and a head full of how to make them go faster.
I havnt spent a lot of time researcing turbo's for them but I do know that high 200's is pretty strightforward with 7 lbs boost on mainly factory parts.
The car runs an 044 pump , but I suspect it might need a new ecu with a turbo ?
Should weight low 700kgs

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
I daresay 700 turbocharged horsepower in a bike would be rather difficult to control!

I totally agree Glenn...behind the rear seats is where I'd always planned to do one of these. My first idea was to take my Hyundai Scoupe Turbo and strip it down to around 750kg or less and power it with a built Busa engine running around 300bhp. A sort of Korean Hachiroku. It would also give the finger to the Korean Scoupe Owners Club, who had rejected me from even joining as a newb...I had hoped to do a lot of tuning to the car as the handling with good coilovers is shockingly good. But without help from those losers, I went and bought a Skyline GTR and a a bit of a go tuning that thing...

·
Registered
885 Posts
I wonder just how reliable a powerfull hyabussa turbo engine would be on a day to day basis,especially a 700bhp one at that too.

Surely its not still 1300cc and is stroked out to 1500 cc?

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
but I suspect it might need a new ecu with a turbo ?

Glenn, you can get by without buying an ECU if you do decide to go turbo. You can run 2 Dynojet Power Commanders. 1 is set up for for boost control, and the other is used in the usual way for the fueling.

The Motec ECU is the best way to go though, but considerbly more expensive than 2 Power Commanders :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts