GTR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old car that is going back together and wanted to fit some soundproofing to it.

Looking on eBay there seems to be the bitumen panels similar to those applied by Nissan and also more spongy stuff.

Is there any one knowledgeable on this subject that can comment on the most cost effective way to sound proof without weighing the car down any more than necessary.

Thanks

Hugh

·
Registered
208 Posts
I used some roof flashing from wickes about £10ish a roll did the whole car, just as good ad the expensive stuff.I'll try and find a link.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Roofing materials in the GTR? :p

I would consider using Dynamat. It's Bitumen based and is very good. Afaik there's a lightweight version of it too.

·
Registered
72 Posts
As Brains said, bitumen stuff stops vibrations, which is good for improving the sound of your stereo but will do little in the way of reducing road noise. If general road noise reduction is what you're after it's difficult to avoid adding weight. I found mass loaded vinyl combined with closed cell foam to be the most effective material out of what I tried - but it's heavy!

For all the information you could ever want on the subject, talkaudio.co.uk is the place to do your research.

·
Registered
228 Posts
really nice, i want to do the same for my car
i've a friend with a golf gti mk3 and he made his car better then more newest car

·
Registered
336 Posts
I remember 'doing' a new GM F body using dynamat xtreme and their dynaliner foam on top of that.

It was heavy, no way around it, but a good amount on the wheel houses in the rear with the bitumen went a long way to quiet road noise. It sounded like a vault, and it was a convertible.

·
Registered
44 Posts
i would not recommend using roofing material. that stuff uses tar instead of butyl rubber adhesive. which can fall off during hot summer months. i can vouch that the tar based adhesives will do that. when i like in okinawa i had some on the roof of my surf and in the middle of the summer it all came crashing down. i would recommend using something like Vehicle Sound Deadening Materials for Noise Reduction, and Thermal Insulation. Call 800 679-8511. | Second Skin Audio, Made in the USA. they have a variety of products that can turn your car into a tomb if you wanted it too. yes the price is more expensive but you are going to pay for what you get. there are cheaper butyl based ones that you could use i only recommend secondskin because i have had great success with them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sound proofing by no means is light. I had over 150 lbs of deadener, mass load vynyl and closed cell foam... the car was a tomb. this was also in a car audio competition car so i had my reasons. Also weight isn't a concern when you have 450 lbs of batteries too.

·
Registered
336 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts