GTR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.spatechnique.com/quickrelease.html

Why can't I get my head around how this works? I've got a hicas lock kit on mine so I don't need to worry about the Japanese Boss kit. How exactly do these SPA ones work? I've never taken a steering wheel off in my life so I'm really confused. Any technical tips please.

James

·
Registered
773 Posts
Do they do these for the Skyline? I posted a question about quick release wheels about a month ago with no luck.

I have one on the Elise and it is a great theft deterent. I probably have the terms wrong but, if I call the thing to which a steering wheel connects to in the car a steering column, a special boss is attached to the column. The boss has two holes in it. The base of the steering wheel (ie the bit that joins the boss), has the spindles (as shown in the picture) attaced to it. To put the wheel on, you pull the black plastic bit of the spindles outwards, this pulls the stainless bit of the spindles clear of the boss. The spindles on the wheel are then lined up to the holes in the steering column boss and the black bit of the spindles are released. This locks the stainless bit of the spindle into the holes in the boss, therefore locking the wheel to the steering column. To take the wheel off, pull the spindles outwards, and pull the wheel off. The obvious disadvantage is no airbag.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
225 Posts
Wierd - I was just talking to Jamie about these last night

Don't forget that a steering wheel from 1 set will not fit another - as the splines are uniquely keyed - so the theft deterrant bit is excellent

They have JUST become available for the GTR - with 2 buttons on them - one fires the scamble boost - the other fires the lap timer on the MFD

Phil

PS - There is a security thread now for things like this

1 - 4 of 4 Posts