GTR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I been stop by the police yesterday.
They do the routine check, insurance + license check.
Then 1 of the officer came to my car and said the exhaust is bit noisy,
then went to look at all round the tyre condition.
I got the spacer 20mm on the rear, he start telling me my wheel is
too big for the car, lol then he saw the spacer and suddenly said the spacer is illegal??? He said it dangerous to put the spacer on any car??? Is it true???:confused:
I just told them that I recently bought the car then they told me to remove it
as soon as possible.
Anyway, i take the car to my friend garage and remove it.
No more 'hella flush'!!!:chuckle:

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
No they're not illegal at all. It your wheel and tyre, however, are protruding past the body of the car then that is illegal

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
Easiest way to check would be to take a plumb line and hold it at the highest part of the wheelarch. If the line DOES NOT interfere with the wheel or tyre then its legal.

Spacers themselves are not illegal, its only when they contribute to the wheel/tyre protruding past arch that they become an issue.

TT

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
There is no doubt about it, your rear wheels do protrude past your wheel arches!

Your 5 inch straight through exhaust noisey! Never! Did you show him the trick noise reducing lever? I bet that made him scratch his head!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Indeed it is illegal when the wheels are protruding beyond the arch and you can potentially get 3 penalty points as per worn or defective tyres.

Also for safety it is best to use longer studs when using a spacer to ensure the nut covers ample thread of the stud to prevent them from working loose.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Spacers that bolt to the hub and have their own studs are better. Look for the TUV approved ones as they are also used in DTM and Touring car racing, as such they are pretty safe things.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts