GTR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just fitted some standard 17" R33 GTR wheels to my R33 GTS, care of Ian Sutton (cheers Ian), the only thing is the fronts rub when I am at full lock which doesn't sounds to nice.

Any suggestions on a cure, I was thinking wheel spacers but I can't go to far as I don't want them to stick out of the wheel arches. I am certainly not giving them up as the car handles way better.

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Matt,

You might find spacers make the problem worse. Are the wheels rubbing on the inner part of the chassis or are they rubbing on the inner wing lining. If it's the latter spacers may not be the solution. On the offside you may have it rubbing against the dump-valve (which can be cured by moving it). At the rear of the inner arch there is a seem which will need to be bent back and then new lining added.

Let me know if you need more help

John

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
damn!

I have just nipped out to have another look. They seem to be rubbing against the engine bay itself. If you look at the right hand wheel when it is straight it is the bit behind the wheel nearest to the drivers door.

Bit of a bad description but I hope you get the idea.

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Matt,

I had exactly the same problem. Matt Payne's right - big hammer needed!

Take the wheel of and remove the wheel arch lining.
There is a seem running down the car - flatten it with a big hammer.
The wheel arch lining will still rub (due to its moulded shape).
Take a sharp knife and cut out a square so th plastic is no longer in the way.
Attach (glue/rivet) a new piece of plastic/stiff rubber in its place - this needs to be flat. Use old inner arch liners from a brakers:cool: or some fancy hard-wearing plastic/rubber composite from a reputable shop :) or the lid of an ice-cream container :D
Put it back in place and all should be well.

John

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh heck....

Not sure about all this taking a hammer to my car business. I think I will have to get some else to do this as it sounds a bit dangerous.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey if you wanna do it feel free :) Just make sure I don't have holes in the foot wells:p

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
It's great for people with short legs. The accelerator is a lot nearer:D

On a serious note: As you're just bending the seam back it's quite straight forward. You shouldn't be making contact with the flat part of the wheel arch so there's really no problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts