GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I wish to ask for help from those who live/drive in the Yokohama area.... especially those who use the bay bridge and aqualine.

I'm going to be driving to Chiba for autosalon in January and would like to know about speed traps and cameras.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Also, one more thing. I'm going to be in the area 11, 12 and 13th and would like to know which night is best to visit the daikoku futo parking .....

Thanks in advance. :bowdown1:

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I've only been driving here a few months so I'm not too familiar with the speed traps but I do have a radar detector. The problem is the dam thing never shuts up, screaming at me in Japanese about approaching popular police speed check areas, cameras, police cars and god knows what else. I need to see if I can choose what it warns me about.

Anyway, I don't know of any cameras on the bridge, but there's a few on the Bayshore Route as you head towards Chiba. The detector never shuts up when I drive through Tokyo.

Not sure when people are meeting at Daikoku, I'd be interested to know too.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
I think we are going to be there 12 Jan evening, the night after
the first day of TAS (press day actually). Last year had a blast.
I hope weather is good - oh no Dino, I said the "W" word.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Aqualine, no radar spots. Stay above 200kph the whole way and you're good:chuckle:

None on the bridge area that I'm aware of. There are a few along Shuto B so just stay under 120kph (camera limit) and you are good (If you pay attention you can usually spot them ahead of time). If you are coming as far south as the Yokosuka-Yokohama road as soon as you enter the Shuto just past the first toll gate police like to hang out on the left side...other than that I don't see them.

The only unmarks I see north of bay bride are white Toyota Crowns (easy to spot, no tint, and they wear the police helmets:chuckle: ) and a couple white Subaru STI's without the STI badges(more towards Tokyo/Narita though)

Shuto is pretty much free reign:squintdan

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
any photoblocking tricks? I painted my front plate with photoblocker paint. probably a gimmick but I figured can't hurt. I also, uh, "acquired" a set of plates from an abandoned car. Haven't busted them out though - requires stopping, getting out, taping them on, then going. Too much premeditation - I need those James Bond revolving plate things :p

Korea is 100% photo radar - cop cars never sit in speed traps. They won't even chase you if you blow by them at 200kph.

Is there a speed above which photo cameras will not work?

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
for my front plate, i have this thingie with a hindge/spring so once I
get past 80 km/h or so, it flips and hides the plate. V.Cool

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies. Just wondering, are any gtr owners intending on cruising around area during the 3 days of autosalon??? I wouldn't mind meeting up and having a friendly chat.... before I return to the countryside of Mie.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Traditionally we meet up at Daikoku on the Friday night after TAS.
As Hyrev said - that will be Jan 12th this time

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Just look out for the blue signs with white writing - they have to be placed within 2km of the speed cameras, by law. They're a dead giveaway there's cameras ahead. If you can't see that, you're not paying enough attention!

I don't usually take much notice of speed cameras on the bike as all they'll get is my helmet and the front of the bike, so I go through them at anywhere from 120 - 160 + km/h - Usually a lot of the cameras aren't even working, it seems - but I don't bet on it when driving a car!

RE Amemiya used to sell spring loaded retracting number plate holders. They've taken them off the market now, to avoid Police attention, which is a shame, as they work really well. You can still mount your front number plate upside down & horizontally on those adjustable mounts available from most car accessory shops. The worst a policeman will do is move it back into shape, but chances are you'll never get stopped for it.

Miguel

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Just look out for the blue signs with white writing - they have to be placed within 2km of the speed cameras, by law. They're a dead giveaway there's cameras ahead. If you can't see that, you're not paying enough attention!
Good tip. I'll look out for these, had enough of that dam detector.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Hi Nick,

Are you coming to the GTROC dinner with Tamura-san? If so, any chance of a lift in your new beast? :)

Gaz.
I'm not going to that dinner, but I'll be at the Barbacoa in Harajuku on Saturday.

It's a bit up in the air at the moment. I *should* be collecting the GTR from Mines on Friday, but it's not confirmed yet. I need to go straight from the airport, and I'm hoping they'll receive the money in time too, UK banks are closed until Wed now and I've only just got their details!! Going to be tight...

If I have the car, of course no problem :) I'll get back to you...

Sold the Supra today, wasn't easy parting with it....:(

·
Banned
336 Posts
any photoblocking tricks? I painted my front plate with photoblocker paint. probably a gimmick but I figured can't hurt. I also, uh, "acquired" a set of plates from an abandoned car. Haven't busted them out though - requires stopping, getting out, taping them on, then going. Too much premeditation - I need those James Bond revolving plate things :p

Korea is 100% photo radar - cop cars never sit in speed traps. They won't even chase you if you blow by them at 200kph.

Is there a speed above which photo cameras will not work?
170mph or so for uk Gatsos

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
That guy in F&F3 said that you are fine with the police in Japan as long as you stay above 180kph. :p Aqualine for the win!

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
That guy in F&F3 said that you are fine with the police in Japan as long as you stay above 180kph. :p Aqualine for the win!
I think if we try it they'll be waiting at the other end of the tunnel with an armed response team though...:D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts