GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
having now owned the car for 1 month i can see it being hard to not exceed the speed limit, which device on the market is the best to help me try and keep the speeding tickets and points off my license
i am a bit of a captain slow but as you all know this car is hard to hold back and once it gets going you feel the need to let it GO

·
Registered
968 Posts
I believe Stinger has the best system. It has (for police undetectable) radar detection, laser detection + optional jammer, and fixed camera location database. You can adjust the speed limit from where it should start giving audible notifications. It's very good but not cheap.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
get rid of your right foot - should make a difference, otherwise just floor it everywhere you go - they'll never catch you:D

·
Registered
968 Posts
not sure of uk prices, costs over 2000 GBP in the netherlands.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have a Road Angel Professional - can't fault it for accuracy, quality of it's alerts, ease of doing updates, portability, battery life etc. Picks up anything fixed and has a built in laser alert (which, unlike jamming systems, is not illegal at the moment I believe).

I don't work for them by the way!

·
Registered
968 Posts
I agree jammers are not legal, but neither is speeding....

The stinger jammer returns a plausible error for the laser gun used and switches off after 2-6 seconds (you can adjust yourself) so the 2nd time they measure they will measure your (hopefully by then) legal speed.

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
No laser detector will help you. Period.

Your chance of detecting scatter from another targetted vehicle is very minimal, and if you are targetted, your detector just tells you you have been done.

A good jammer is the only way to protect yourself.

If anybody wants me to demonstrate this, feel free to come to our Wales weekend and I will show you how laser guns work, and how well a decent jammer helps you.

Use a decent GPS camera system and a jammer if you feel the need.

But never, ever, rely on any laser detector to save you.

·
Registered
142 Posts
CC based on your fantastic knowledge of speed detectors and all what system would you advice . At the moment I have the old roadpilot micro which seems good enough for fixed speed detectors

In your opinion which is the best radar and laser detector/ jammer?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
Roadpilot Micro (not the Go though) is exactly what I use. Perfectly small and mine is mounted above the mirror.

I'm still waiting for a decent replacement and I've ordered and trialled a few but I always fall back on the Roadpilot for its ease of use.

So many on the market but most need installing under the windscreen or in a place visible to scumbags.

I havent used a radar/laser detector for years, once UK rozzers switched to handheld laser. They false way too much and dont protect against laser threats. In the UK our risks are fixed sites on places we arent familiar with, and mobile sites running something like the LTI 20/20 Marksmen laser units with camera recording. So a GPS unit and a decent jammer covers 90%+ of our UK risks. All that leaves is that small chance of either mobile radar cameras, or being VASCAR'd on a motorway (and you'd have to be blind not to see a rozzer tailing you for a mile....!)

I've posted elsewhere about jammers and I dont want to appear to be promoting a certain product all the time so please search thru my threads and check my sig!

As and when we have any GTR meets, I'll always bring my Lidar guns along so folks can test their setups.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Blinder M47

Hi everyone.

Ive seen the above "parking sensor" system for sale and if it works I can get a parking aid front and back plus a bit of speed camera protection for £500 plus fitting. To HPC fit parking sensors (better I know) are over £500 alone. Has anyone had any success with these systems?

Cheers.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yep, I think the main benefit of laser detection is that you know you may have been caught rather than it giving you enough time to slow down.

Any half-decent GPS system should be able to pick up fixed cameras, so the main difference is going to be the reliabaility of database updates. I have had Road Angel's for the last 10 years and can't say they have ever missed a fixed camera. There are more and more temporary SPECS cameras around these days as well (especially in roadworks) and the RA has picked these up without fail.

I am not a fan of laser jammers - speeding is one thing, perverting the course of justice is another (I am not a legal expert mind, nor am I an expert on these products - just my personal opinion).

·
Registered
142 Posts
CC yes its the micro that I use.

Have had it a few years now and keep transferring from car to car.Its such a small discreet unit and you can mount it anywhere.

Do you find it easy to see which camera type it is warning you about,somerimes find it annoying re mobiles at night time.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Yep, I think the main benefit of laser detection is that you know you may have been caught rather than it giving you enough time to slow down.

Any half-decent GPS system should be able to pick up fixed cameras, so the main difference is going to be the reliabaility of database updates. I have had Road Angel's for the last 10 years and can't say they have ever missed a fixed camera. There are more and more temporary SPECS cameras around these days as well (especially in roadworks) and the RA has picked these up without fail.

I am not a fan of laser jammers - speeding is one thing, perverting the course of justice is another (I am not a legal expert mind, nor am I an expert on these products - just my personal opinion).
The trouble with laser detectors is when they go off it's an automatic reaction to slam your brakes on.........not good for the poor sod behind you who has no idea why youre doing it, or even worse a 44T artic!

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
Do you find it easy to see which camera type it is warning you about,somerimes find it annoying re mobiles at night time.
Funnily enough I bought a new Micro about a month ago as my old one (4 years+ old) took the knock and the mobile sites thing is annoying, especially when some of the sites listed I've driven past for years and never seen a mobile unit!

With the unit mounted by my rear view mirror it's fairly easy to read the screen.

Yes jammers are a grey area, but wise use of them (turning off when you reach the limit, thus allowing the officer to get your speed) shouldnt raise any eyebrows.

I've had many laser encounters, all good (save for one rear hit 3 years ago without protection).

Each to their own of course.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts