GTR Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
I know a guy who seems to know alot about getting off on the technicalities of the particular speeding equiptment used, would this be of any use? what were u caught with, a gun? or car?

·
Banned
3,561 Posts
Bit late now (unless you are lucky) but please all of you, register your cars in joint names (you and spouse), have both of you on the insurance, and develop amnesia as to who was driving, you pay the fine (jointly) and 'walk' from the points.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Hmm

how did the talk go

I got caught doing 104 two years ago had a good chat with the copper had a joke and a laugh, took my papers to the cop shop and then nothing..........

·
Premium Member
5,939 Posts
ouch!

have you had anything through yet?

I'm, sure they have to send you a notice of intent to prosecute (NIP) withing 14 days of the offence - if they don't then you can get off.

otherwise it is down to the circumstances and the judge ie Good visibility, dry, empty road. not racing anyone else not pushing the car to it's limits and a judge with a good sense of justice and not inclined to throw the book at you.

worth paying for a decent brief though if you do have to go to court.

Simon

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Agree with you Ged. I don't find 114mph on an A (or B) road too fast:eek: but the judge might if he drives at 40mph in a 60 zone (as some do). I think 28 days is like a lifetime without a car:(

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Hello......I;m new,
Sorry that the first words I utter on these pages should be negative, but I believe the Judge will make a BBQ of your butt.

Its damage limitation for you now, everything the other peeps have said helps, good brief, ask about calibration, you need your car for work, you help with charities, etc, etc.

The brief will be the biggest help, I went in on my own once and got banned for six months for a minor offence, but when I went in with a brief a couple of years later for doubling the speed limit I got away with three points and a dented wallet!!

Anyway, good luck amigo, and 28 days is NOT that long!!

·
Registered
298 Posts
A lot of solicitor firms offer a free 1 hour consultation so take this up with as many as you can find and they should give you a good idea of what you can and can't do to minimise or get away with in court. I did this about 6 years ago and they were very helpful.

Trap calibration, time of day, notice served on time etc are the things that will count 'cos like some people have said, 114mph is not gonna be taken lightly so the best chance you will have is a technicality IMHO.

Good luck mate.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
I was going to say that having been on 9 points, doing 114mph on an A road seems to be a bit silly, but then speed is addictive - I'm sure I would be in a similar position to yourself were it not for some blind luck (Ive been given just a warning before for 90 in a 50).

Only thing I would do if I were in your position would be to say that you need your car for work and a ban would cost you your job (even if its not true). You might just end up with a heavy fine then.

It all depends on what kind of ban you would be looking at I guess - being on 9 points and speeding by such a big margin, I hate to say it but I can't imagine many judges being sympathetic. I would be surprised if they didn't end up wanting to make an example of you. :(

Good luck whatever you do.

·
Registered
961 Posts
the guy that owns top secret
did 194 on the a1

the cops cuaght him on his third run at 130 (with 3 volvos)
he was only on britsh roads for a day
he spoke no engrish and got a lawyer at god knows what in the morning and court was done very quikely and he got off with
a 300 ish fine 34 pound charges and a 28 day ban !!!!

get a good lawer
explane the ability of the skyline
tell em that you track day to improve your skill
you were driving with such consentration on the road a head
you forgot the speed limit
dont tell em about the 9 pionts
there wasnt a person in sight
and no speed camers so it was alright to out run the gang car behind ....witch was actualiy the police!

and offer them a pint and a run in the 34!

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Bloke at my old work caught doing 119, first offence, no previous points, 35 years old, needed his licence for his work, lost his licence for a year.

He was not sure that the solicitor reduced the severity of the sentance.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Dirk, if its any consolation, after my 3pts after coming down to see you guys.....I have just been flashed again...doh, so I have another 3 points winging their way to me....best bet as already advised is to go for the 'I need my licence for my job'. A friend claimed on this and at the court the judge let him keep his licence. Downside to this is that there are few and far between insurers who will take someone on with 12 points....sorry mate.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Bloke at my old work caught doing 119

Hi Hugh,guess the Sun in the USA is dulling the old memory cells:)

Same Bloke Same Work......and he had to re sit his driving test!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
I guess I'm in the same position. Was pulled on the 2nd May for doing 110 and received a summons throught the post on saturday. According to the coppers statement I was doing 115 but when I was pulled he said 110, not a big difference but it will still mean a harsher penalty. Will be speaking to a solicitor tomorrow as I drive 50 miles each way to work and public transport at 5 am is not up to scratch.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I spoke to my sister who is a barrister in London (if thats near you she could represent you...) and she said that you will probably do time unless you put a really good case together. However, as previously mentioned, if you demand a certificate to prove the volvos equipment was calibrated on that day and it wasnt then they cant do a damn thing. Obviously if all else fails use the "Job for work" "Ive had lots of driving experience" "I was in a rush because blah blah blah (my wife may be pregnant or sumin,) "In my car 114 is well within its limits/capabilities" "I was on an empty road and I travelled faster than the imposed law and caused no harm/damage to anyone, wheres the crime?"

Just do some serious blagging, and if you want my sister to represnt you give me a PM. Good luck and keep us informed...

Rob

P.S. John Lowe-Didnt you have a similar experience?

·
Hawaii-5-0
1,817 Posts
Friend of mine who regularly uses this forum asked me to comment, as I've got legal experience.

OK, firstly, it's very difficult to say exactly what will happen. That's because in the vast majority of driving offences it's largely down to the judge's discretion. Based on the facts, though, I think you should feel lucky with a 28 day ban and a fine. Why?

Firstly, the speed itself. 114mph on a motorway would be bad enough, but on an A road... I presume the limit was NSL, so 60mph. So you've come close to doubling the speed limit. Recent(ish) amendments to speeding recommendations suggest that 30mph over the limit, or over 100mph on any road, should be met with a ban. Whilst the judge can overrule this if he wants to (the law's a bit hazy in this area), he's unlikely to with such a blatant disregard to the speed limit.

Secondly, the fact that you already have 9 points. A person is allowed one little mistake. Two at a push. 9 points says that you've been caught speeding three times before (or once on a minor offence and once on a serious) - would you blame the judge if he was under the impression you didn't get the message the first few times. 9 points, combined with 114mph, says "I don't care about speed limits".

As for possible "excuses" or mitigating circumstances... I don't think you've got much chance with them. Saying you need the vehicle for work is irrelevant - if you needed your car that badly you wouldn't be doing 114mph, especially after having 9 points on your license. And for gods sake, whatever you do, don't follow the advice of some people in this thread and offer up an excuse about how powerful or capable your car is, or how you've been on an advanced driving course. This will do absolutely nothing to help your case, and will probably just irritate the judge and/or raise the penalty. Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken. Even Schumacher wouldn't get away with 114mph.

Regarding 'technicalities'... if they're going to prosecute you, you'll get your NIP. Mistakes are rarely made on offences this big. Don't try and be clever and rely on equipment calibration etc - most of the things suggested don't work anyway, and again will just enhance your reputation as someone who is trying to escape his rightful penalty.

Basically, the judge wants to see that 1) you've accepted that what you did was wrong, and you're prepared to take responsibility for it and pay the consequences, and 2) that you're not going to do it again. If you can get these two points across, you'll likely escape with a short-term ban and a fine. If you act up, start bragging about your car or why you should be allowed to do 114mph, you can be staring at a dangerous driving conviction, a permanent criminal record, losing your license for 2 years, and potential jail time. So be humble. And good luck.

ps: if you haven't got a lawyer already, get one. Anyone who strays into criminal proceedings without professional representation is very brave or very foolish.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
I was joking about the shout.

Duh!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.