GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Check Sky Lines

I had my speedo chaged on my R32 by GTaRt, cost around £200. I think they said they used a converter from a MR2, it goes on the speedo cable so a MPH sticker was stuck over the KPH which means my speedo shows 260MPH! Now thats optamistic on a stage 1 tune GTR.

Once this was done Sky Lines (GTROC members magazine) did an artical on the possible negative effects of converting to MPH. Worth a read every time, top work, top mag.

Converting can effect the HICAS, idle, top speed restriction and can effect the stablility at speed. I've not felt any change, she's still running perfectly but I can't get it up to 260!?

·
Registered
256 Posts
There's loads of experience to search on. I did mine (r32gtr) - cost about £50 and an hour or so of my time. Its fun taking the dash apart!
As for the downsides, i always had reservations and have only ever left the converter in for MOT time.

You quickly get used to the 45/80/100/112 kmh limits!

Forgot to say, still waiting on those White Nismo 320 gauges...anyone?!

·
Registered
597 Posts
if you want it done properly, get one off Middlehurst(as fitted to UK cars) , alternatively, try the guy who i think supplied Middlehurst, one of the members has his details (do a search re speedos), or else get a 320kmh clock.

·
Registered
785 Posts
if you want it done properly, get one off Middlehurst(as fitted to UK cars) , alternatively, try the guy who i think supplied Middlehurst, one of the members has his details (do a search re speedos), or else get a 320kmh clock.
Here's the threads you need to refer to...

Proper MPH Conversion:
http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/showthread.php?t=52998

Middlehurst MPH Dials:
http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/showthread.php?goto=lastpost&t=39397

I bookmarked both threads as this is what I'm going to do to my dials. :smokin:

- Kevin.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
What problems are caused by fitting a convertor to the speedo cable?
I have Nismo 320KPH dials but these now run in MPH so the top speed on the dials is 320MPH!! I am worried now that i could be causing problems to the ATTESA system?
Can anyone just clear this up for me please?

·
Registered
785 Posts
What problems are caused by fitting a convertor to the speedo cable?
I have Nismo 320KPH dials but these now run in MPH so the top speed on the dials is 320MPH!! I am worried now that i could be causing problems to the ATTESA system?
Can anyone just clear this up for me please?
Speed sensor comes out of the gearbox to feed the dials, which then feeds the ECU and HICAS systems. Altering the speed from the gear box means the speedo will be correct but the ECU and hicas system receives the wrong speed which will result in the hicas system making the wrong adjustments.

If you modify the speedo itself the ECU and HICAS systems receive the KPH speed and the speedo outputs the mph figure meaning everything works as it should.

I hope that helps.

- Kevin.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Thanks Kevin.
So what is the most common way of people changing the speed signal as my car originally came from GT Culture who would have changed the speed signal to MPH?
Is the attesa system affected by changing into MPH?

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
If I was you, seeing as you have the Nismo 320(kph) dials, I would get a recalibrated face from Julian at RAD, and job done.

Only gripe is that the odometer still reads in km's. Apart from that, the speedo is in MPH. And no ATTESA or HICAS issues.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
That is correct.

And no you can get the face done in white no problems. Or any other colour you fancy!! Its all custom!!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Hmmm, another very interesting post. I think my car has the 'chip' on it, and it's mucking about. The odometer/trip don't work anymore and the speedo occasionally jumps up from what it should be reading.
My car has MPH clock faces but is there any reason why I cannot just remove the chip and work out where the speeds are on the clocks?
This would also mean the ATTESA & HICAS are unaffected?
I could do this now and maybe do it properly when the funds will allow.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Yes you can do that.

But instead of guessing the speed, if you have a Road Angel of some sort or GPS gadget, then you can monitor your speed that way.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Speedo

Here is my link to my r32 conversion article http://www.btinternet.com/~skyline6969/r32speedo.pdf

I'm not sure how the R33 set up the VSS/dash but the R32 sent the translated electrical vehicle speed sensor signal from the back of the dash (where the MEC was) to the ECU/HICAS etc so any conversion before the dash messed up the HICAS etc.

If the R33 is translating the mechanical to electrical signal in a different place/way then there may be an easy way to convert to mph without messing up the HICAS i.e. if the mechanical signal is being translated outside the dash for example. I don't know enough about the R33 to help you anymore unfortunately :(.

You should be aware that some 3rd party devices like Apexi RSM use the VSS signal and any changing of it will bugger them up too.

If the dash can be changed without altering the signal then that is the best way to go.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Virdee can you pass me on the details of how much this is to get done and where from?
Do you send your whole dash off?
Sending you a PM shortly...

·
Registered
442 Posts
Sorry, bit of a thread hijack I know, but it's all relevant (I think!).

My car is supposedly showing 51.5K miles, so it has been converted from KM. How do they actually alter the odometer reading, or is it a new clock unit as well as the chip? Have I got it all wrong??

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Cheers for that. When the bloke comes to fix it I'll tell him to just remove it.
Any legal issues with this?
There are no legal issues with leaving the speedo as KPH.

Personally I have left both of my skylines as KPH as I didn't want to mess the HICAS up as described above;
also it's very easy to do the math when converting between the two..

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
If it is going to cost you a fair bit of money than do what I did and get a GPS device (I got a Road Angel II) that can show you the true speed in MPH - one of those GPS performance measuring devices or a Garmin Sat Nav for £149 from Currys also show the speed in MPH and they count for the SVA/MOT apparently.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.