GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since fitting these Spitfire coils, my car has a high load missfire. The STD coils didn't do this. Do I need a different plug gap? They are 0.8mm at the mo.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
hi andy, i would concur with the thread above. mine does it on light throttle, both power fc and fc d-jetro versions. gonna try the above fix on page 4. spoke to rod a couple of years back and he said it was a trait of the ecu?. see how we go on.bernie.

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've already cleaned up the earth wire on the transistor pack.:nervous:

I'l try a smaller gap, but I really can't see that being a problem.

:bawling:

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
jeebus. my stock coils worked just fine. I have a box of new Splitfires that will go in - I'm praying now. Isn't it just utterly ironic that you fork out a pile of cash, and then they *give* you a problem??

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
I've already cleaned up the earth wire on the transistor pack.:nervous:

I'l try a smaller gap, but I really can't see that being a problem.

:bawling:
looks like one guy earthed just about everything in sight (ignition amp, and coil pack mounts) directly to the battery. The ignition amp lead is a pretty frail looking piece of wire. It could be broken or intermittently connecting in the loom under all that insulation.

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll have a play on the dyno on Wednesday.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Just replaced a set of new splitfires with std coilpacks to cure a missifre for someone.

What plugs you running andy?

Rob

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting, my plugs a Greddy(NGK?) iridiums. I can't remember the heat number.

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cool

How do you re-gap a plug without using a feeler guage? I don't want to scrape off the iridium coating.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
SHouldnt be tight enough to remove any material.

Rob

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Rob, much appreciate you advise.

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thats odd, why is that??

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
interesting...so splitfire coils require very tight gapping? Hope it's worth it.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have Splifire coils on my 1990 GTR... with stock boost and NGK platinum plugs gapped @ 1.1mm.No problems at all.The car runs very smooth with these coils.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
well, that's the thing - my car ran fine on stock boost with plugs gapped over 1mm. at 1.3bar it was a different story, and when my engine's done it'll be 1.6 on much larger turbos. getting spark blowout is a big concern...

·
Registered
193 Posts
IIRC splitfires have a longer dwell time/angle than stock, something like 1.7ms vs 1.3ms? There was a post from Hugh from ages ago with the info in.

I would reduce the gap and adjust the dwell angle appropriately.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts