GTR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been quoted 120 to change a split front driveshaft gaitor on my 32, but moneys pretty tight at the moment, so i wondered how involving it is to change it myself.

Is it a bitch of a job? Whats involved roughly?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No one ever done this before? Could really do with doing it myself, as moneys well tight at the moment

Anyone with ANY input?

·
Registered
99 Posts
To do it properly you have to pull the shaft out, not that hard a job, drivers side is the worst as you have to pull the cover off the front diff to free the shaft from the centre.

I unbolted the bottom ball joint and the swaybar link to give me enough room to swing the stub around.. not that hard a job. All depends on what your capabilities are. There are a couple of how-to's areound, and the workshop manual is fairly extensive.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply mate

It is the drivers side that needs doing! I do have the 32 manual. Does this cover what i need to do? I completely forgot i had it to be honest

Both my bloody motorshave a problem now. :runaway:

·
Registered
99 Posts
It is in there, but not the clearest. I am not sure where I found the writeup, may have been on here or sau..

I had to pull both my driveshafts. 2x cv's stuffed and 3x boots.. Not happy. Found the evidence when I went to bolt the new brakes on. At least it was real cheap to have the shafts reconned, cost me around au$300 from memory.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers mate.

Both gaitors have gone on the driver side. I may attempt it. Dont know yet.

Miht just be easier to give it to RK to do it. First though, the Jeep needs sorting.

I'll have a search about. If you come across it, let me know where the guide is.

Thanks again for your replies mate

Dean j

1 - 6 of 6 Posts