GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Random Friday musing but, I've been wondering about this, what do the GTR's class as?

I'd think that the GTT's and lower models are definitely Sports cars, but do the 32-34 GTR's class as Super cars?

Personally I think the 35's class as Super cars due to their performance level.

Anyone else got any thoughts on it?

·
Premium Member
5,891 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Personally I would class all GTR's as sports car, a super car I would define as high performance and expensive/exclusive. The R35 would be close to being a super car in my opinion with its performance but not quite there with the price tag there for making it more affordable and acquirable.

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,208 Posts
For me a Supercar must be something pretty special.

For example a 458 isn't a supercar - it's a prodcution car
La Ferrari is a supercar

911 not a supercar
918 is a supercar

But the word is not a defined term so it will depend on subjective judgement. I remember someone telling me that XYZ couldn't be a sportscar because it had a hardtop (as opposed to being open top).

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I stand corrected in that case.

I was classing super cars as something rare, beautiful and high performance. Which personally I think that GTR's tend to fit into.. They're not that common, they look awesome and have high performance in comparison to other vehicles of the same age.

You're right though, they're more than likely just sports cars. I still consider them to be more special than the run of the mill MX5's that are also classed as sports cars, which is the main reason I was asking if there was a clear distinction. I suppose its mostly just a question of semantics and how you define a supercar/sportscar.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There's a good quote on that pistonheads thread (Page 8 by Le TVR) actually, which goes to show people have different definitions of what constitutes a supercar:

We have to accept that there are two definitions of "Supercar".

PHers said:
Brutally fast
Handling over comfort
Uncompromised design
Technologically outstanding

General Public said:
Visually outrageous
Epic soundtrack
Looks fast even standing still
Very few and far between

I wouldn't claim to PHers that my Lotus is a supercar (maybe was at one time) but the public see it as just that.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I have had this discussion with a number of insurance companies, whilst obtaining quotes. Apparently, officially 32, 33 and 34's are classed as racing cars and the 35 a sports car.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.