GTR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ere, did anyone catch "Trans World Sports" this morning???? (About 7:45am Sat 15th)
Actually probably none of you did as, unlike me, YOU lot all need lots of beauty sleep!!
Anyway, they did a profile on Jonah Lomu the All-Black collosus. At the end of the piece they showed him relaxing back in NZ persuing his main passion in life after Rugby......cars. And what is his pride and joy, none other than a Bayside Blue R34 GT-R which looked pretty sorted. Who would have thought that Glen has something in common with Jonah Lomu!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He also had one of those large US long wheel base pivck-up things with serious ICE.
So do any of you guys in NZ have any more to add to this? Does he attend meets? do you know who looks after his car?
He's been over here promoting his new video. Perhaps if he's still here he might come to the Grasshopper on the 22nd??

So, to open this up a bit, I don't think this question has been asked before, but who else thats famous (or infamous!!) owns or has owned a SKYLINE.
I'll kick off by naming Johnny Herbert..........but I think everyone knows that one anyway..........I don't think he has it anymore.
Oh one last thing, don't now all nominate Glen.....he's only famous in Brenwood I've heard!!!! (doh sorry Glen I know I keep picking on you, I don't mean it really, its just that I don't often get a chance to pick on someone smaller than me tehe tehe)
Regards
StarStruck wroestar:D

·
Registered
336 Posts
Jamiroquai

Toby Smith of Jamiroquai used to own an R33 !!

Toby,

If you still ever read this forum, can I have some tickets for your gig at Manchester ?

Cheers,

Gary.
MM.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Yep I know some more about it. I live in Wellington and so does Jonah. I'm hopefully about to transplant his Nismo twinplate into my VSPEC II when I get back from Auckland on business.

He's had his a while and is involved in a local NZ drag team. That's his main passion. A friend of his has the Australasian record for 4WD 1/4 mile at 9.89 in an R32, he's done very very close to that in his R33 aswell.

Jonah's car is an R34 VSPEC, Trust exhaust, intercooler and downpipes, not sure what type of boost controller. Nismo twin plate clutch (soon to be mine if I'm lucky) and he's recently changed to 2530's or 2540's I believe, but that was just before he left for his tour with the AB's in the UK and Argentina.

He's back now apparently so I should know more soon, like I said I'm away so I won't know till I return to WLG.

I do know he spoke to a friend of mine before he left and said his latest dyno reading was 630 HP at the FW, but he's got some more gear coming.

He's got a Nismo triple plate, metal head gasket (not sure on thickness), and a shorter final drive gear waiting at Nissan in WLG as I've touched and ooh and aahed over myself !! :D

The ironic thing is that after the first time he dragged his R34 his management got a little fussy about the danger factor and he can't do it anymore in case he gets hurt....................fair call I suppose, but when someone loves cars as much as he does, it seems a little tough !

Canman

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
The main actor of the Hollywood movie's "The fast and the furious", Paul Walker have a 1999 R34 GTR VSpec. He was the blonde hair undercover police guy in the movie.

When my R34 V-spec II got into the US, he came to check it out since my GTR is the first V-spec II in the U.S. I chatted with him for a brief moment. He is a nice guy.

Jeff

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Canman,

Next time that big wuss of a rugby player :eek: is over here, let him know we'd like to meet him.:)

BTW - If Posh and Becks get one at least we'll all have somewhere to go for a Summer BBQ where we can safely park ALL the cars.;)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Jonahs car has a Motec M800 ECU as well , he normally gets another guy to drive it who has done an 11.4 1/4 mile but I dont think Jonah has done better than a 12.1 he drove it last friday at the night drags , he also has a 68 camaro with 750hp that is/was a drag car. Fraser I didnt know you were there until after I had left , I would have liked to meet you.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Managed to get 15 minutes or so talking to the big fella............

I think he's happy to talk to people who have similar interests as he seems to get pestered alot with boring idiot questions all the time so it was good to catch up with him. He's always away on tour when I'm around in Wellington, but we sorta agreed to try a little harder to catch up once he's back in Wellington.

He also told me Turbo Vehicles are going to get him to about 700HP or so and that's all he's after. I thought he was going to go big........not because I'd heard anything, just figured he would, but when I spoke to him he's looking at 700-750 and then he said that'll be it.

I must admit that I did watch Jonah's performance on the track (was really surprised to see him driving) and was really impressed with his second of the 3 launches, but the others were a little unimpressive, but saying that I'm sure it's not as easy as people think and I think it's great to see him enjoying the fruits of his hectic rugby career.

I was hoping to get his twin plate clutch as he's got his new triple plate here, but he's pretty keen to keep it to death ..........arse.

No worries, just gotta put a few spare $'s to one side.

Fraser

PS Brenhan....Re meeting up, I'm in Auckland next week, I've been in touch with the SDU guys so mail me and I'll mail you my cellphone etc

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Brenhan, Canman;

Next time he's visiting the UK we'll have to see if we can arrange a meeting at the Grasshopper for him:)

Cheers for the info.
John

·
Registered
272 Posts
Last night Jonah was racing again , he got a 12.0 , he is only running 1 bar of boost , he did pretty well , he won the 4wd class last night , alot of the fast cars didnt show up. he has very good reaction times , he was in the .5's for most of the night.
Brenhan.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts