GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just look what i needed to fix today......

A friend did a sportdriving course in his immaculate GTR,after hitting a simple plastic cone on the slippy,wet surface on the driving center his pedestrian security system explodes,lifts the hood and ruins his day.....no damage to the bumper,not even paintdamage,you can´t even see where the cone hit the car......its just one of few not correctly developed parts on the car.

After one hour in the workshop he could join the group again with the pedestrian system removed and a provisional repair.....think i will pull my pedestrian security system out today,as im not interested seeing this system in action on my car:thumbsup:

·
Registered
669 Posts
Aaarg terrible, only a matter of time before this happened... again. Can someone please come up with a simple way of disabling pedestrian security system for when on track? Fuse pull, some passive device to plug in place of the sensor, or whatever?

Thanks

Rich

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will just remove mine completly out of the car including the bulb....job done.....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
669 Posts
I will just remove mine completly out of the car including the bulb....job done.....:thumbsup:
Can you post up pictures of where the various modules, sensors & cables are? I would like to come up with a way of disabling without removing. Unfortunately the US Service Manual does not include it.... Lucky them.

Rich

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The sensors are on the front bumper around the top grille....there is 3 of them in total,the connector of them is direct under the plastic where the hoodstick is clipped it,open the 8-10 plastic clips and you can disable the plug,no connection,no explosion:thumbsup:

Just need put a black tape over the bulb in the car:D

·
Registered
669 Posts
Thanks, will take a look. So by the sounds of what you are saying, with the bumper sensors disconnected then you get a light on the dash, but everthing else runs fine?

If that's the case then sounds like a good solution for the track. Dependant on what sort of signal the sensors send to the ECU it may be possible to plug up a passive device that simulates the non triggered state. Trouble is it's not the sort of thing you can play with trial and error style. :bawling:

In the post on the other time this has happened there is mention of a passenger safety ECU, that also has to be replaced when triggered. Have you found this / removed it?

Rich

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, will take a look. So by the sounds of what you are saying, with the bumper sensors disconnected then you get a light on the dash, but everthing else runs fine?

If that's the case then sounds like a good solution for the track. Dependant on what sort of signal the sensors send to the ECU it may be possible to plug up a passive device that simulates the non triggered state. Trouble is it's not the sort of thing you can play with trial and error style. :bawling:

In the post on the other time this has happened there is mention of a passenger safety ECU, that also has to be replaced when triggered. Have you found this / removed it?

Rich
If there is no sensors which trigger the ecu.....you don´t need to replace it..:smokin:

I will delete mine completly,i dont want to be the guy the porsche owners laugh loud when i hit a plastic-cone on track :thumbsup:

·
Registered
816 Posts
Seems pointless all together. Pedestrians should get out of the way when they see a GTR coming anyway. They have the y-pipe as an audible warning to GTF out of my way.

My main concern is extreme evasive maneuvers that people will take at speed to avoid pheasants etc, so as not to activate this retarded extraneous system.

I hit a cone in one of Nissans academy GTR's at 10mph (I outbraked myself) but this didn't happen.

Bad times for your friend.

·
Registered
669 Posts
If you think exploding bonnets are bad, have a read of this...

Recently, Nissan announced that they are developing a pedestrian safety feature which would be based on cellular communications. The company reported that they are in the process of studying a cutting edge Intelligent Transportation System or the ITS which uses the Global Positioning System (GPS) to determine the location of pedestrians which might be accidentally hit by the car.

The car company also further announced that the new system currently being developed will be using the next 3G cellular communications system. The said system will be used to pinpoint the location of a pedestrian and its relative risk of being hit by the car.

Nissan, known for the dependability of their vehicles and stock parts such as Nissan wheels and other components reported that the system will come in handy on a blindspot situation where the drivers' vision is limited. Nissan reported that the system will be tasked to collect information concerning the position, speed, and other data regarding the car and the pedestrian. An onboard computer will then consider these data and warns the driver if there is a risk of hitting a pedestrian. The warning will alert the driver to take evasive actions to avoid hitting the person sensed by the system.

Although the safety system looks good in theory, there are still a lot of issues that needs to be addressed. Nissan announced that they will be studying in which situations that drivers should be warned. Information needed for the system to properly warn the driver includes the speed of the vehicle, the position of the pedestrian, and the distance between the car and the nearest pedestrian. These data are just some of the data needed by the system. Nissan is also on the process of looking for the most effective warning medium that will be used with the system.

And no it's not April 1st..

I know lets link the GPS system directly with the exploding bonnnet...

Rich

·
Premium Member
5,040 Posts
This wouldn't matter if it was a simple system to reset, not the £X000 bills that are already making the GT-R a laughing stock... :puke:

How come we haven't heard about problems with any other pedestrian safety systems? Or were Nissan the first to market with one on a high performance car?

·
Registered
358 Posts
The idea is; if we hot an object any anything above say +5 miles an hour it might be a pedestrian and so the system fires.

Problem is; Tow bars, Cones, Plastic Bollards, Litter, dustbins blowing around in the wind, Pheasants or peasants (joking). 99% of the time it’s not going to count and the ridiculously stupid price of a reset. Disposable fire once control unit and solenoids is just stupid design. If a solenoid can change a gear at 100th of a second I am sure it can pop a bonnet up and then down again once reset. The design is bonkers.

When the spec is clear I’ll be disabling mine.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hey Guys

I haven't got myself a GTR yet, but I would imagine once this system is unplugged, its a matter of finding what resistance is expected to replicate these sensors.

The sensors simply send a certain resistance back to the control unit, so if this resistance could be found and resistors fitted in their place it could be solved with no dash lights.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts