GTR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my service around 300 miles ago I started noticing the brakes making a squealing noise on braking. I think its the front brakes but cant be sure.

I never seem to notice this before. The wheel clicking issue is gone though. I specifically ask Litchfields to check the brakes/discs and was told they are fine until next service (I don't plan to track car)

Just wondering if this is normal or are the pads wearing thin? The noise is not really loud but still audible even with windows closed unless the music is on full blast. Braking performance doesn't seem to be affected.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Which pads have you got fitted mate? Many performance pads (XP8s etc.) will squeal if not given a hard use from time to time. Nothing to worry about though.

Try giving them some hard use or re-do the bedding in period

(something along the lines of)

3 sets of mild-to-medium stopping pressure: 50 to 10 mph

3 sets of hard stopping pressure: 80 to 10 mph

3 sets of very hard stopping pressure (avoid the abs kicking-in): ~100 to 10 mph

Don't come to a complete stop and try to give the brakes a bit of a cooling period (~500m) between the hard stops set and the very hard stops set and after each very hard stop set. Try to use the brakes as lightly and as infrequently as possible after the final very hard stop set to let them cool down properly. Once you've parked up, let them cool down for at least 30 minutes (though this may vary a bit depending on how long after you've down the bedding-in process you finally park-up and how hard you've used the brakes afterwards).

I'm sure if the above isn't quite right that someone can correct it :thumbsup: Ian (thetyrant) will be a good person to PM if you've got XPs ...

·
Registered
336 Posts
I've just been out and tried the above method......it seems to have stopped the sqealing...at least for now lol.

Just thought I'd let you know.

Daryl

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm on OEM pads. According to Litchfields the pads and discs are fine until next service.

I've already tried bedding them in properly and the squeal is gone but does come back again after few days of normal driving.

If the squeal is normal I guess I'll have to live with it but I'm almost sure that I didn't have this problem before.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
It could well be a dampness thing?
Start off with very gentle brake usage and get some temperature in them, then a couple more heavier ones and one final "mother" of a brake. Sorts mine out! (RS29's on Alcon discs).

·
Registered
39 Posts
sw20, I know exactly what you mean, mine squealing a lot more now, bit embarrassing in a high street. got to get it up to sly this week.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Could well be the weather but I also notice the squealing is sometimes present on hard corners. Really need a chance to get the brakes up to temperature to test if it's related to the brakes being damp/cold.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This grinding noise is driving my crazy (OCD :p). I noticed that even though not on the brakes it's there; especially on bumpy roads and hard corners.

When my car was last in Litchfields there was a loud squealing noise on first day back but that was because of someone spilling engine oil on the power steering belt by accident. I sometimes wonder if the grinding noise is actually the PS belt? I've tried contacting Litchfields hopefully will get a reply soon...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts