GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so with my gearbox looming next month, and my final Litchfield engine in the summer I will be at my final power level, so while I am waiting I am going down the weight route which was always the plan and things seems to have crept up.

Before all the naysayers give me a Mizuno-San lecture, I know, but I'm not convinced, and now it's too late to change my mind ;)

So assuming my 2008 JDM Premium was the same weight as my friends 2010 UK Premium he weighed in at 3931lbs (1783Kgs) with a full tank of Vpower and no passengers (I needed his as I have never owned mine from stock trim and his is 100% stock).

So I put her on the scales and she came in at 3730 (1691Kgs) so that's a saving of 92KGS so far. Also nice to see Im at nearly 50/50 weight too.

As a rough outline here is what I have done to the car.

+ Litchfield Manifold (TBA KGS)
+ Litchfield GT3076s (TBA KGS)
+ Tansmission Cooler (TBA KGS)
+ Powersteering Cooler (TBA KGS)
+ 1KGS Syvecs Ecu
+/- Forge Intercooler (TBA KGS)
+ Forge BOVs (TBA KGS)
+ 305/275 Tyres

- Akrapovic Ti Exhaust
- Alcon CCX Carbon brakes
- Sub removal
- Rear seatbelts and bracing
- Some sound deadening
- Carbon Doors (not on)
- Carbon bonnet (not on)
- TSW wheels
- Litchfield Suspension
- Tyre equipment and towing eye
- Titanium Wheel Studs
- Litchfield Seats

I have some ideas for stage 1 and my target is 1600KGS. Stage 2 will be 1500 KGS.

The following spreadsheet will be updated over the coming weeks and months.

Link to Weight Spreadsheet here

I will update the spreadsheet later this week when I buy an accurate set of scales and hangers and do everything by the numbers.

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Magnesium or carbon wheels worth looking into?

Carbon roof also?
Ah yes Roof. Iain Litchfield has one on the way fro me from AMS. Mags in 20's are super expensive but I am looking into a 19" option currently for other reasons than weight reduction.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Excellent thread :thumbsup: So do you suspect that the JDM cars are lighter?

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No I don't but if I find any evidence ill post up. A premium is a premium. But a jdm does have a few more bits but not a lot.

·
Registered
754 Posts
That is a pretty significant reduction.
Bootlid should be an easy one and perhaps rear spoiler?

Which wheel studs did you go for?

Protegimus

·
Premium Member
2,094 Posts
Och Vernon, get your wheels changed!!! There the same as mine :p

Look forward to seeing your results.

I'm thinking if changing the seats in my car this year also

·
Registered
196 Posts
Nice thread....on the same weight reduction mission. All my AMS panels including roof arrive in a week or so. I have all the easy wins covered I think, will put her on the scales when finished.......The next logical step is what Iain has down to his race car for weight reduction. Big commitment...but I can see it happening.

Vernon, will we see you at Silverstone on the 23rd of March be great to do a few laps and chew the fat in person?

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'd suggest smaller tyres after the weight reduction. Clearly there is a correlation between contact patch vs force applied vs grip level. Without sufficient weight a given tyre compound and contact patch won't generate optimum grip. So I suppose in theory if you loose couple of hundred kilo's the contact patch could be little smaller and maintain optimum grip levels with road bias compound tyres. I think the latest gtr gt3 uses 330/18" tyres and is around 1300kg albeit uses aero to work the tyres harder.. Don't know if I'm talking b0llox but smaller wheels small tyres might be needed to maintain vehicle dynamics with benefit of further weight reduction. Does assume factory spec was optimised for performance and not aesthetics when it came to final wheel/tyre size combination..

Can't see the stg2 reduction coming easily unless you are getting rid of a front diff and converting to rwd and losing the Aircon and ancillaries.. The media system must weigh a fair bit all those amps and speakers..

Best of luck.

·
Registered
9,091 Posts
I think you are an idiot, ruining a perfectly good car to try to turn it into a light weight track car when you already own a supercharged atom.

You have a selection of cars which are each very good if nit the best of their genre so why are you converting one to compete on another field?

I know it's fun, but that's what atom is for.

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Adam I was waiting for this ;) .....

Ok so, the atom is fine on track, indeed driven to its limits virtually nothing can touch it. However the GTR I think can beat it but only by shedding a few lbs.

If the weight needed to be this high then there would be no Nismo or track pack. My mind was made up when i read about the nismo spec. Weight, diff, power etc. Why hold back in the beginning? My guess economics.

So far in the meagre testing i have done the car is a lot better. A lot. I can still do a 0-60 of 2.8 in Winter on mpss which was the same as before except my 0-100 is now 5.4. Cornering is vastly improved, scrub drag vastly reduced and the car feels a lot more nimble already.

My plan is for all panels to not increase noise at all and you should not notice anything has changed from a noise perspective.

Ultimately the car will be better, if not i can revert, but my gut tells me so far its going to be awesome.

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
I say great! Go for it!
Definately interested to see how this goes.
Will you be removing the carpets/headlining etc. an AeroMotions rear wing would help too, can be wired into the syvecs aswell.
The underpanels from a dba car, with ducts etc all help too, but in cf :)

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Im not removing any noise comforts at stage 2. The rear wing requires thought to keep 50/50 and ensure the aero works as intended.

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
Nice thread....on the same weight reduction mission. All my AMS panels including roof arrive in a week or so. I have all the easy wins covered I think, will put her on the scales when finished.......The next logical step is what Iain has down to his race car for weight reduction. Big commitment...but I can see it happening.

Vernon, will we see you at Silverstone on the 23rd of March be great to do a few laps and chew the fat in person?
Ant, let me know if you want to do a before and after weight.
I've got a set of corner scales and a nice level depot... ;)

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good idea Richard. I have my own and always looking for an excuse to use them!

Ant let me know when you are in Tewksbury and ill pop up.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts