GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently running a stage 2 with downpipes. It will cost me around £1800 to go to stage 4.25.
I know there's plenty of talk on the forum about the stages and I'm fairly aware of what it involves. I thought I'd post to get some opinions as I'm in two minds about.
My question is, is it worth from a power perspective and financial?
I don't track the car, only use it for spirited driving so never really hit those tops speeds (of 70mph ) for that long.

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
Imho yes it is. 4.25 is the sweet spot. Bear in mind that downpipes increase exhaust loudness depending on your y-pipe and back box combo.
I chose to have a new exhaust to quite the car down with downpipes as it was just too loud for me but plenty of folks are happy with that increase in sound.

Reactions: jrattan

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have boost logic downpipes and a Linney Street Titan exhaust system and titan Y pipe FYI
Not to be pedantic but what makes it sweet spot? Is it the acceleration at higher speeds or does it already increase the torque at lower speeds to a noticeable amount?

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
If you have downpipes I'd be concerned about running lean on the stock injectors anyway so adding bigger ones gives your tune safety.

Your tuner can then alter your map to provide more BHP across the whole rev range whilst reducing timing to cap the torque to a safer level.

Without bigger intakes you're also not benefitting from the extra gas flow the downpipes allow.

Earlier turbo spool means more response to throttle inputs as well as more power under foot.

You'll notice the difference straight away.

I call it the sweet spot as it frees the engine from gas flow restrictions whilst improving throttle response and power in any gear. It's the stock engine in its best form removed of the restrictions placed upon it by emission regs etc.

Reactions: Chronos and jrattan

·
Registered
353 Posts
Think Charlie means taking into account increase in power vs amount of money required to achieve it. Also, 4.25 is the limit for much of the stock internals before you start to significantly increase the risk of failure.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
Think Charlie means taking into account increase in power vs amount of money required to achieve it. Also, 4.25 is the limit for much of the stock internals before you start to significantly increase the risk of failure.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
Spot on.

Stage 2 always seemed to me to be a bit of a waste of money to me especially if you've spent quite a bit adding downpipes.

I'd have gone stage 4 before downpipes (it's actually what I did) as the other bits (intakes injectors new map) add more for only a little more expense.

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
Also £1800 seems a little high?

Injector Dynamics 1000cc are £600 ish.
Larger intakes and filters £400 ish

£800 labour is way over for how easy the above are to fit.

I haven't taken into account tuning costs but maybe £300?

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
I suppose labour costs for you Southerners is higher than for us Northern monkeys.

Regardless of a few hundred quid difference it's well worth it anyway.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Fcuk me them prices are crazy £1100 for a stage 1 ( remap ) on topic i noticed a big difference stage 2 to 4 well worth it in performance gains, you have to be a bit more careful coming out of roundabouts etc stage 2 you could just floor it stage 4 you can light up the tyres quite easy :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Im currently at stage 4 going in monday for new.asnu 1100cc injectors and a fresh remap...for some reason the previous owner done all the work but not the injectors ! Baffled at that one...

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
That is an odd one.

Really risking going lean on stock injectors and bigger intakes.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Also £1800 seems a little high?

Injector Dynamics 1000cc are £600 ish.
Larger intakes and filters £400 ish

£800 labour is way over for how easy the above are to fit.

I haven't taken into account tuning costs but maybe £300?
- Bosch EV14 1000cc injectors cost me £416 /set,
- 3" SS intakes self-made + filters £130,
- custom remapping £400
£946 in total and installation/fabrication took about 2-3hours in total.

·
R35 Section manager
10,922 Posts
For road use no.
Mines a stage 2 and on the various road trip meets my car has kept up with the stage 4's and 4.25.
For track use yes and if you have £1800 then go for it but do you need it?

·
Registered
9,080 Posts
For road use no.
Mines a stage 2 and on the various road trip meets my car has kept up with the stage 4's and 4.25.
For track use yes and if you have £1800 then go for it but do you need it?
By the same token, for road use you don't even need a stage 2 then.

·
R35 Section manager
10,922 Posts
By the same token, for road use you don't even need a stage 2 then.

There's actually some truth in that although the stage 2 is almost to easy to get to as most owners want an exhaust change.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There's actually some truth in that although the stage 2 is almost to easy to get to as most owners want an exhaust change.

For road use we should all buy electric self driving cars

You're right TREG I don't need it and I'm 50/50 about upgrading so just wanted the view of other enthusiasts it's been useful so far...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts