GTR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So I've recently got a stage 2 upgrade with the gearbox update and what a fantastic decision that was, however i'm after some more noise before i decide to jump up to stage 4. Therefore i have some questions about donwpipes....

1. What power (BHP and Torque) could i expect to see after having down pipes fitted to my stage 2 car?
2. What is the best brand to go for as they seem to range from £300 KR ones to £900 AMS ones? Is the quality any different?
3. What is the difference between cast and stainless steel, i'm assuming cast ones are more durable but do they make any difference to sound?
4. Is the sound in the cabin when cruising really bad or okay?

Would really appreciate if anyone in the London area with DP's fitted could take me for a spin as i would really like to see what they sound like.

Below is the kind of sound i'm after and as i have the MeisterR system which is fairly loud without DPs and a similar design to the JDM password exhaust, i'm hoping it will produce a similar note, let me know what you reckon?

INSANELY LOUD Straight Pipe Nissan GTR Alpha 6 Password JDM/AMS Catless - YouTube

Cheers for the help,

Jon :)

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
With a full Stage 4 and downpipes, I'm getting 628bhp and 635lb/ft. That's with Litchfield cast downpipes and a 102mm exhaust.

If you car is loud now, it'll be VERY loud with downpipes. I've got mine heavily silenced.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
With a full Stage 4 and downpipes, I'm getting 628bhp and 635lb/ft. That's with Litchfield cast downpipes and a 102mm exhaust.

If you car is loud now, it'll be VERY loud with downpipes. I've got mine heavily silenced.
Very much like. Need to get mine on dyno to see what happens

·
Registered
754 Posts
Hi Jon,
Downpipes with cast bellmouth apparently reduce rasp compared to stainless fabricated and it is a more durable method of construction. If you want the ultimate noise, then stainless only may be the way to go; though I'm sure the MeisterR will sound great with either.
Cruising will be loud, but tolerable - I have a different exhaust with (Litchfield/Milltek) cast downpipes and it only gets properly aggressive when you really open the taps!

The addition of downpipes to your stage 2 will likely have injectors very close to their maximum or have your tuner detuning to avoid the situation; so I'd recommend the jump to stage 4 with downpipes - it'll provide the most reliable results and probably save on mapping time.

Protegimus

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Hey guys,

So I've recently got a stage 2 upgrade with the gearbox update and what a fantastic decision that was, however i'm after some more noise before i decide to jump up to stage 4. Therefore i have some questions about donwpipes....

1. What power (BHP and Torque) could i expect to see after having down pipes fitted to my stage 2 car?
2. What is the best brand to go for as they seem to range from £300 KR ones to £900 AMS ones? Is the quality any different?
3. What is the difference between cast and stainless steel, i'm assuming cast ones are more durable but do they make any difference to sound?

Would really appreciate if anyone in the London area with DP's fitted could take me for a spin as i would really like to see what they sound like.

Below is the kind of sound i'm after and as i have the MeisterR system which is fairly loud without DPs and a similar design to the JDM password exhaust, i'm hoping it will produce a similar note, let me know what you reckon?

INSANELY LOUD Straight Pipe Nissan GTR Alpha 6 Password JDM/AMS Catless - YouTube

Cheers for the help,

Russ fellows DPs get my votes

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Couldn't agree more with everything Prot has said above.

All I would add is definitely get some cast ones or some high quality ones which won't crack easily.

As you know Jon I've got a pair of cast millteks on the way. Should sound epic with the meisterR :D

I'm gonna have to try it and see though. It may a bit too loud :nervous: I may switch out the y-pipe for a silenced one if its too much.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Hey guys,

Cheers for the help,

My stage 2 is pretty much maxing the injectors so yours will be close, these will be the limiting factor of what can be achieved, boost will likely need reducing a little to keep the duty down.

That said the performance would be about the same and if it is the noise you want then it is worth doing if you are seeking some more power then do the intakes and injectors too.

·
Registered
462 Posts
dp

My stage 4 with DP is the only car I have every had to add silencers it was loud inside but ridiculous from outside. I put a centre resonator on and sound deadened under rear seats its now amazing

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
Nobody has mentioned it yet, but I just thought it might be worth noting...

Bare in mind with an exhaust and downpipe change you are no longer running any catalytic convertors.
Which is against the construction and use regulations.
It will also result in an MOT fail due to the emissions test.

I believe people generally replace the Y pipe for an MOT every year to pass the emission test.

It is possible to have an upgraded CAT I think, but it seems generally people don't bother.

·
Registered
9,090 Posts
I run the new heavily silenced litchfield 102mm system with downpipes and it is now quieter than stock.

I am waiting to hear feedback on the noise recently measured on track but I'm sure I heard a mention of 96db drive by.

Richard has a point which is which I wanted to mention that there is also a race cat version.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Hey guys,

Cheers for the help,

Insanely loud?

No, just Niiiiiiiiiice :chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anyone in the London area with downpipes fitted that could take me for a ride so I can see what they sound like?

Thanks,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts