GTR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going stage 4 soon and im thinking of extra bits to do while its in with not going too mad yet as i'm spending alot on my R34.

But thinking of changing intercooler at the same time as stage 4, is it worth doing now or just wait till i want to change turbos?

Just thinking it will work better with colder air going through the turbos?

Anyone any views on this??

Graham

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
A cooler charge will always yield more power. I'm just in the process of doing my own stage 4 and will be upgrading the intercooler after it as well.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
I'm going stage 4 soon and im thinking of extra bits to do while its in with not going too mad yet as i'm spending alot on my R34.

But thinking of changing intercooler at the same time as stage 4, is it worth doing now or just wait till i want to change turbos?

Just thinking it will work better with colder air going through the turbos?

Anyone any views on this??

Graham

Check with your chosen tuner which intercooler they recommend / do your homework. some poor performing ic's out there worse than oem, if it sounds too good to be true it usually is

·
Registered
9,073 Posts
A cooler charge will always yield more power. I'm just in the process of doing my own stage 4 and will be upgrading the intercooler after it as well.
Not sure I agree with this conrad for a few reasons.

There is an optimal charge temperature for atomisation of fuel within the charge. Below and above this you can get incomplete combustion which costs you power.

In general it's true but other factors mean it's only a rule of thumb.

In addition it could mislead people into thinking they have all the facts needed for assessment. Anyone looking at an intercooler should make sure to look at the pressure drop across the core too.

You could find the most incredible temperature drop also has a pressure drop of 0.1 bar. That means for the boost outlet pressure the turbo has to supply an extra 0.1 bar.

If you have a turbo that is struggling already, the extra 0.1 bar may have a serious effect on compressor efficiency. That means the incoming air temperature could increase by much more than the temperature drop gains of what you perceive to be the "best" intercooler. The problem is primarily that the intercooler needs to be suited to the application and turbo choice of the car to which it is being fitted, rather than compared based on standardised bench testing.

To be fair, where the GT-R is concerned, if you are looking at standard staged upgrades and given the pretty small pool of turbos we generally choose from, generic advice on what's better or best is probably going to hold water, I just want people to make sure they have their eyes open when considering options.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Adam, it was a generic question, perhaps I should of been more specific in terms of pressure drop, flow and cooling abillity. I am well of aware of intercooler designs and what works and doesnt being in the process control industry ;)

I would like to think that those pushing standard turbos to the limit on stage 4 cars would see an improvment in charge temperature with an aftermarket intercooler as we all know that turbos produce alot more heat when pushed outside of their comfort zone but I dont have hard facts as of yet.

I plan to log my car at stage 4 very shortly and will then see what difference we get when my chosen aftermarket intercooler has been fitted :)

I seem to recall you also switched from one make of aftermarket intercooler to another make of intercooler, why was that?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts