GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, quick question re oil consumption, the car seems to be using a lot, i've put 2 litres of 0w40 Mobil 1 oil in in less than 2000 miles, is this normal?.
Also the oil is really black even only a month after an oil change.. worried :(
Cheers

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
The oil will go black after a few hundred miles, just the nature of a turbo engine.

What sort of usage?

2l in 2k mikes does sound a bit much. I used 1.5-2l in 7k miles, including a sprint and trackday.

After conversations with Litchfields I changed to motul 5w 50 and it's hasn't used any in the 1k miles and trackday since

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The oil will go black after a few hundred miles, just the nature of a turbo engine.

What sort of usage?

2l in 2k mikes does sound a bit much. I used 1.5-2l in 7k miles, including a sprint and trackday.

After conversations with Litchfields I changed to motul 5w 50 and it's hasn't used any in the 1k miles and trackday since
Thanks for the info. Nothing too heavy, just the occasional short blat on road. The car is into Litchfields at the weekend for a new windscreen so will talk to them about it then. Cheers

·
Registered
140 Posts
Funny you raise this...... My oil low light come up on mine 2 weeks after a 4.25 conversion and service.
Had it checked and advised to put 200ml in, is ok now just concerned too as nearly 5 years of ownership only once had to top up. Will keep an eye on it, was thinking that they didn't put enough in at the service?

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Iirc your not supposed to have the oil to the top mark on the dipstick, a few mm below is the ideal leve.

From the bottom to the top mark on the dipstick is about 1L

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Yeah they say keep it 10mm below the max mark.

My old GTR was stock + Y pipe and used around 1 pint per 1000 miles, in French that's just over a litre per 2k miles or should that be 3.2k kilometres? Funny how people talk about litres and miles in the same breath :)

It didn't start using oil though until it had passed 10k miles.

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
Andy I used to get the light on...just needed an occasional top up...spoke to Iain and he said it happens and nothing to worry about

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Andy I used to get the light on...just needed an occasional top up...spoke to Iain and he said it happens and nothing to worry about
Thanks Henry, I guess its nothing to worry about, will keep an eye on it...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How you enjoying it? Really missing it!
I really love this car :) and its so bloody quick....had a little play with a 'superbike' on a road near me at the end he gave me the thumbs up and shook his head in disbelief (I think it was) that I was still there behind him...

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Not really sure why but over the space of 12k of ownership mine has had weird oil usage sometimes. The first time I had it serviced after buying it (not its overall first service though) I also went to stage 4, within 1000 miles the warning light was on for oil, I had a major panic, called and was told 1l in 1000 miles was actually acceptable. So I just kept it topped up. It didn't smoke or anything so assumed it was using it due to the extra performance.

I like to do oil services more often than the book says on modified cars so did an oil service in between main services, from there till next service it used hardly any which I was obviously far more pleased with but then confused why the previous oil usage was so bad.

The following service it was back to drinking oil again. Out of sheer curiosity I decided to do a full flush with oil and filter change after only 1.5k and it's back to not using any again. The in between oil only services where done at a different garage to where the main services were and are using millers nanotech oil. I'm not sure what oil my full services use, only recently had I noticed on their pricing structure that it's more expensive to use Mobil 1 oil, I've never been asked if I wanted that so I suppose it could be lesser quality oil getting used up quicker ?? Clutching at straws a bit there but if Mobil 1 is more expensive it suggests cheaper oil used as standard.

I have no real idea why this is. But I wonder if sometimes when it's serviced there's something happening (or not happening) causing it to use oil?

Anyway, reason for my post was to say if it's using oil it could be worth getting a decent oil and filter change to see if it makes any difference like it has on mine....

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I guess it will make a difference to oil consumption depending upon the weight of oil used too

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
That was also something I meant to mention, the oil I put in was Millers Nanodrive and it was 10 - 50 which was a recommendation from Oilman (Opie oils). It was the upper end of 3 suggested oils from them. Again I don't actually know what's used in my standard service schedule.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
That'll be the reason then. I think the Mobil F1 is 0w40 so upping the weight to a 10w50 will definitely help reduce oil consumption.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for the info all, the car is in getting an oil and filter change, with Motul 5W50, (was Mobil 0W40) lets see what happens. Cheers.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I tested my own car on Mobil 1 and Motul 300v 0w40 and it used much more oil on the Mobil 1. The Mobil 1 meets the required spec for the engine and that's about it where the motul is a much higher spec and will offer more protection against wear in the long term

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Looks like I may need to ask what Litchfield use as their standard oil then. On the millers it hardly uses a drop but on theirs it seems to like to dispose of it quite quickly...

This could of course be total coincidence but from what's been mentioned above it's quite possible that 10-40 is their standard (as per the book) and I'm better off with different grade stuff.

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
That sounds like a lot of oil,

My MY2010 has done 19k miles most of it at stage 4 & 5 and I don't think I've put in more than 1l of oil in nearly 4 years.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts