GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping somebody would have an answer to the following.

Basically I've gone single turbo route, and shall be using a single turbo with an anti surge housing, and hks external waste gate. (R33 Gtr)

My question is, do I still require the standard bov's and associated pipe work, or can I scrap it all and just run new pipework from the intercooler direct to the plenum and turbo.

Please advice

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is a bov necessary? I was going to run a pipe direct from the intercooler to plenum and turbo.

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
Are you running AFM's?

If yes, you should run re-circ, if no, you can run what ever you like. I ran overpressure valves rather than BOV's

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I suppose what I need to know is, if I actually need to run any form of air release/relief system.

I was thinking that an anti surge housing is sufficient.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Standard bov is on a reserc and has a constant bypass. Best thing to do is buy an aftermarket like a HKS SSQV and run it on the standard pipe work :) atmospherics sound cheap and stop the smooth gear changes. Car feels faster but only because you drop most of your power once it dumps the air so the turbo has to generate it again. If you run it on a reserc you keep the air in the system and the car runs a lot smoother and retains power between gear changes :)

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I understand the theory behind it, but seeing as though I'm running a single now with a map sensor, do I really need a bov or similar.

Is it necessary or will it be fine with external waste gate and anti surge housing?

·
Registered
5 Posts
It will be fine, especially with a boost sensor! I personally just prefer to run a reserc, just for the performance factor :)

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's an aftermarket larger cooler.

Dan I was hoping the anti surge housing would help prevent this?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I don't no mate all the turbos in have had havnt had it but I doubt it will stop it. The problem is the fluter if you no what I mean, as it the air comes back through the turbo it makes the blades vibrate. I took the dump valve of my nissan pulsar a week later the turbo was knackered I'm not risking it on mine.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
It will be fine, especially with a boost sensor! I personally just prefer to run a reserc, just for the performance factor :)
I have yet to see any data at all that shows performance gains or losses running various bovs.

I doubt you notice any difference at all between open, recirc or none.
And your turbo won't die instantly because you don't have one. Although I doubt it would last as long as with a bov, but then again it's hard to prove without lots of testing.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I have yet to see any data at all that shows performance gains or losses running various bovs.

I doubt you notice any difference at all between open, recirc or none.
And your turbo won't die instantly because you don't have one. Although I doubt it would last as long as with a bov, but then again it's hard to prove without lots of testing.

I agree with you, only time I have noticed a diffrence when fitting a bov seems to be not waiting so long for turbo to come in on gear changes but that might have been in my head

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
You need something to alleviate excessive inlet pressure and turbo stall. Both of these things make it very had to program the fuelling accurately. Drivability will also suffer along with turbo longevity. They are fitted for a very good reason to petrol engines.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I understand what is being said here.
However I have always thought those concerns are addressed by fitting an anti surge housing?

Would be nice to have a definitive answer before I have the pipe work made this week.

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
The anti surge housing allows air to vent from the compressor wheel back onto itself. A bit like causing a toridal air flow around the housing inlet. This effectivly moves the surge line to the left assisting with reducing backflow and turbo stalling.
You should still fit a BOV.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts