GTR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've been searching this site and there seems to be a few people saying the stock r32 front diff is weak. I haven't seen anyone who actually broke one though at all. On a few other forums people say that when the front diff decides to let go bits of metal end up in the oil pan. I was wondering is there any truth to this? I'm looking at having a 500-550whp Gtr and I didn't plan on upgrading the diffs but now I'm unsure. I'm guessing the front diff will only really let go on a drag strip, but on a circuit since its preloaded so it should hold (since theres no impact loading).

Thanks in advance,
Mitch

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
The front diff is in a seperate enclosure to the oil pan...the drive shaft goes though the oil pan, but is in a tube.

550hp is nothing for the front diff to handle....1000hp drag cars are plentifull with std front diffs.

....Plenty of other areas on the R32 to worry about before the front diff needs looking at.

·
Registered
500 Posts
The front diff is in a seperate enclosure to the oil pan...the drive shaft goes though the oil pan, but is in a tube.

550hp is nothing for the front diff to handle....1000hp drag cars are plentifull with std front diffs.

....Plenty of other areas on the R32 to worry about before the front diff needs looking at.
can you find me a 1000hp drag car with a standard front diff?

The subaru guys have always figured around 240-300 ftlbs as the limit for the r160. unfortunately peak tq and working tq are different, all the "internet" cases of front diffs breaking have typically been on launch. A lot of hearsay but do you want to risk it? Aluminum is soft and an exploding ring gear or diff would certainly be able to make it through the pan if it did indeed shatter.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Yes.
About three of the Tipples cars....And thats just some in my home town, Through out the rest of the world there would be heaps!

The subaru guys have always figured around 240-300 ftlbs as the limit for the r160. unfortunately peak tq and working tq are different, all the "internet" cases of front diffs breaking have typically been on launch. A lot of hearsay but do you want to risk it? Aluminum is soft and an exploding ring gear or diff would certainly be able to make it through the pan if it did indeed shatter.
What the h3ll does it have to do with a Subaru?:chairshot
Subarus are heaps weaker in the gearbox than a GTR....
You honestly think a standard GTR diff is not handle 550hp....Whatever!:lamer:

·
Registered
52 Posts
i have over 1200hp and a std front diff no problems so far on drag slicks with hard 10,000 rpm plus launches ...... i have never heard of one breaking..... ever

·
Registered
500 Posts
Yes.
About three of the Tipples cars....And thats just some in my home town, Through out the rest of the world there would be heaps!

What the h3ll does it have to do with a Subaru?:chairshot
Subarus are heaps weaker in the gearbox than a GTR....
You honestly think a standard GTR diff is not handle 550hp....Whatever!:lamer:
because if you pulled your head out of your ass for 5 second you may actually realize subarus used r160 diffs as well. A part can break anytime with any power level. there are too many variables.

No pictures of these cars or they just dont exisit.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts

Good thing he bought a GTR and not a weak dak dak (subaru) then huh?

because if you pulled your head out of your ass for 5 second you may actually realize subarus used r160 diffs as well. A part can break anytime with any power level. there are too many variables.

The way the power is transmitted to front differential is not the same between the two cars.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts

Still comparing two completly different cars...Full time 4x4 will have a lot to do with it.

Just cause it doesn't happen in America...Doesn't mean it can't in the rest of the world

...I honestly can't be bothered finding photos just to make you happy, I'm sure there will be plenty of people who will back me up that 550hp is nothing for them.
....How about you find some pictures of 550hp GTRs that have shat front diffs:blahblah::blahblah:

....How about some of the R.I.P.S cars....I'm sure they are much larger than 550hp....Ludders perhaps?:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
i have over 1200hp and a std front diff no problems so far on drag slicks with hard 10,000 rpm plus launches ...... i have never heard of one breaking..... ever
Oh look...There's one!:clap:

X1

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
i havent heard of a standard front diff breaking (drive shafts sure), but to be honest if i were running 1200bhp i think i probably would, at that power id be worried about everything breaking lol.

kev

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
IM going to go against the trend here. The previous owner of my car smashed his diff coming onto boost in 2nd gear up a hill. Basic spec of car was 2.8 litre and GT RS's at 1.6 bar. The car is a 1997 R33 GTR. It may not happen often but it does happen. Rare case? Sounds like it :)

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
IM going to go against the trend here. The previous owner of my car smashed his diff coming onto boost in 2nd gear up a hill. Basic spec of car was 2.8 litre and GT RS's at 1.6 bar. The car is a 1997 R33 GTR. It may not happen often but it does happen. Rare case? Sounds like it :)
possibly low diff oil

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Theres always myths all around. I heard this myth about exploding a diff into the oil pan and it worried me. I figured it was just bogus just I was paranoid. I'll end up changing the diffs over time, just my engine build is costly (nothing new there) so I want to avoid extra costs. Thanks for the advice. When I was removing the engine I actually had to remove the front diff cover to force the driveshaft out, and the diff has no damage on it what so ever, if I didn't know better I'd say it was new, and its 19 years old but it's been running stock power its whole life.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't mind if the tranny goes, atleast I can just take it off and bolt on a new one. But with the diff I was worried just cause of how people said the diff ends up in the oil pan. Anyways now I have confidence from what everyone here is saying.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts