GTR Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
R34 GTR, R32 GTR
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Any one else with a standard r34 gtr vspec that has noticed oil pressure dropping under good acceleration in 1st, 2nd and 3rd? No I'm not pumping 600hp at the wheels or anything, just a stock standard vspec.
Great oil pressure through the rev range (tested with external oil pressure tester)
At 80c oil temp, 25psi idle and near full oil pressure by 4000rpm, no issues with oil pressure when stationary. Oil up to the high mark on the stick of course.

Intersted to hear anyone else's stories that has similar issue to me?

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
oil pressure dropping under acceleration is not good sign

how many miles the car covered
is it stock oil pump
what oil you using

·
Registered
R34 GTR, R32 GTR
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I say drop under good acceleration I mean accelerating as fast and hard as the car will do it. Moderate acceleration is fine. Pressure spikes in 1st down to 40psi, 2nd spikes down to 55 and 3rd to 62, all brief spokes around 5000-6500 rpm. With 5l of oil in the sump too

·
Registered
R34 GTR, R32 GTR
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ive had 10w 40 in it prior to this current oil grade, same problem :(

·
Registered
591 Posts
Have you checked the connection to the oil pressure sender is solid? Could be a slightly loose connection which only shows up under full acceleration - worth ruling the instruments out before you worry about what they're telling you!

·
Registered
R34 GTR, R32 GTR
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Removed the sensor your referring to and checked with external pressure tester, fitted a new sensor after testing anyway which now reads correctly on the dash, but that drop is defiantly there no doubt about it sadly. Never knew the RB26 oiling issues really were this bad

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Removed the sensor your referring to and checked with external pressure tester, fitted a new sensor after testing anyway which now reads correctly on the dash, but that drop is defiantly there no doubt about it sadly. Never knew the RB26 oiling issues really were this bad
Since you're from NZ, you should give Rob at RIPS a call and have him diagnose the fault. Don't leave it too late otherwise you will cause more damage to the engine.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Have you checked the wiring still gives good continuity even if the loom is wiggled around? No good if the sensor is definitely right and the loom is ok at standstill but under full load the engine might be rocking just enough to break contact momentarily.

Seems daft but you never know until it's been checked!

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Its got nothing to do with oil thickness. When accellerating the oil pickup sucks air.

Only way to deal with this is to either have a baffle installed in the sump or install a accusump system.

Or, you can fill up with oil above the H mark on the dipstick, up til the first buldge. But then again, it could lead to excessive crankcase breathing.

·
Registered
R34 GTR, R32 GTR
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have removed the standard sensor from the equation by using an external pressure gauge for all those who keep thinking about the standard wiring/sensor -- thats out of the equation.

Its beyond all doubt that the oil is shifting away from the pickup unfortunately.
Even running the oil at the top of the "H" mark on the stick does not help me.

This is why I'm so baffled as to why its happening to a stock standard car.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I have removed the standard sensor from the equation by using an external pressure gauge for all those who keep thinking about the standard wiring/sensor -- thats out of the equation.

Its beyond all doubt that the oil is shifting away from the pickup unfortunately.
Even running the oil at the top of the "H" mark on the stick does not help me.

This is why I'm so baffled as to why its happening to a stock standard car.
You might be baffled but it sounds like your sump definitely isn't!

(sorry)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts