GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what the spring rate is for the suspension on an R33 V-Spec? Wanting to benchmark against upgraded kit.

Thanks

·
Banned
3,561 Posts
Interested also, as I can then make a mathematical model of the whole thing and play around with my nice 3d suspension program again.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DCD - perfect, thanks

Mycroft - what outputs will your software give you?

·
Banned
3,561 Posts
Base resonance, load point readings, stresses, quite a bit really.

Are your springs not progressively rated?

·
Banned
3,561 Posts
My quick play around gives me 70lb/in to 105lb/in for the front, 55lb/in to 95lb/in for the rear, this is using standard(ish) shockers but with differing bounce and rebound rate there isn't a huge variation, the sprung/unsprung balance does though, by quite a large amount.

More info please.

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Dampers: (kg•0.3m/s)

Front: Bump 275, Rebound 85
Rear: Bump 175, Rebound 67

Stabilizer: (ø)

Front: ø 22.2mm
Rear: ø 26.5mm

What about alignment? Would that be of any use?

·
Banned
3,561 Posts
I have the 'stick diagram that Nismo use for their computations so I'll play around with that for a while but, the normal running angles would be nice, sorry to keep asking for more stuff but more info=better (more consistent) results.

·
Banned
3,561 Posts
I must say that at present using dual rates appear to give better resonances overall, I especially like the fact that at 3/4 stroke (hard cornering) the frequency of the loaded assembly stays at 2.6cps at the front, that is very stable, the single rate gives 3.8cps, at the front lower frequency=better handling.

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
OK, here it is:

-Front-

Camber: -0º50' (+/-45')
Caster: 3º55' (+/-45')
Toe in: in 2~0 mm
King pin: 15º20' (+/-45') ««-- No idea what this is

-Rear-

Camber: -1º15' (+/-30')
Toe in: 0~in5.2 mm

·
Banned
3,561 Posts
I have assumed that you have Nolothane P5 grade (NP5) bushes (they are standard on the bigger Nissans and Toyotas.

If you have Polypropylene type (PP3) the characteristics will be slightly inferior all round, the large number of links in the design means that Kinematics becomes a serious issue and are better controlled by Nolothane due to its better inherent 'Tension Reparte' and Hysteresis.

·
Banned
3,561 Posts
Harry, how you doin'?

Where ya' goin with this?

Are you certain that the springs ARE the issue not the Bushes!

As a general rule, upgrading the Bushes does more good than upgrading springs with standard bushes, go to Nolothane 'Red' (very hard)or even blue (hard) would be a definite improvement.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
"how you doin?"

badly:(

began as a consideration of what options were available to improve handling on my standard 33 v-spec for track use (with no particular "issue" to solve, just wanted to learn)

the spring question was just to better compare some of the data I had picked up on replacement springs to standard ones.

the more I look into all of the elements that go towards the subject of "handling" it becomes clear that:

1 - have just started what will be a lengthy education;
2 - should (as with all things Skyline) be a bit of fun playing around :D

cheers

btw - found some suspension software on the net - "SusProg3D" - is that what you have? The number of variable inputs into this software were enough to send me back to the "books"....

·
Banned
3,561 Posts
I have a copy of that but it is far from the best, but a damned good start.

If I can help then don't hesitate, no promises, but I'll help if I can.

Danoh, funny!

·
Banned
3,561 Posts
Put a percentage on the use you want, the first thing is to get some 'Nolothane Red' fitted and see how she feels.

Then you can see if you need improved damping or springs or even both.

The intrinsic design of the Susp. is great but good bushes will reduce the compliance vagueness, I like the 'numbers' of the standard dampers but the springs are definitely a road spring foremost, I'd go for 90lb/in on the front and 75lb/in on the rear.
Nolothane Reds, 1*45' neg cam fr. 4*00' caster (though you might like to run fast with little downforce in which case you may need to up this a further degree or so) ZERO toe,(definitely) I am not sure that deviating from standard for the Kingpin angle has any value apart fromlessening it a little to give her more feel in the corners, but with the Nolothanes that is probably not needed.
2½mm toe-in rear and 2*00' neg cam, now that mathematically works rather smoothly.

Peter E is the guy who will have real practical experience of setting a 33 up for track and although he wouldn't want to give everything away I'm certain that he could confirm whether that little run down is anything like his own and he may also be kind enough to finesse it some.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts